Crossover freq. setup in subwoofer for my home music system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Please I need your experiencie and expertise to suggest me what could be the crossover frequency of my subwoofer in my 2.1 system used only for music. Here the details of my modest but enjoyable system:

Amplifier: Yamaha AS-500 (used with the "Pure Direct" function all the time).

Cd Player: Yamaha CD-C600 (used with "Pure Direct" function all).

Speakers: Yamaha NS-F150 floor standing (with frequency response from official specs 37 Hz - 30 KHz +-10dB).

Subwoofer: PSB 125 (with frequency response 30-150 Hz +-3dB and crossover control 50 - 150 Hz). I had the sub Yamaha YST-SW215 but I decided to change it by the current one following the suggestion of "front firing" better for music read in another forums. Since this change I use the crossover control of the sub to 80 Hz but don't know if this is the correct balance according with floor standing speakers.

The wiring amp-speakers is Monster XP high performance (gauge 14 if I remain well) as well as monster cable for sub.

I usually listen all kind of music from classic to electronic like trance and rock from CD or IPod sources.

Thank you in advance for your help. Suggestions to improve it are welcome also.
smiley-smile.gif

Best Regards from Mexico.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
You should get the specs for your speakers +-3dB. +-10dB is completely useless. Once you have the -+3dB value, set the crossover to lower limit. This will probably be in the 50-70dB range on those speakers. If you can't get the +-3dB value, you will have to listen to find the best value :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Probably best to use a bit of trial and error to find the best setting. With subs it usually best to resist the temptation to turn them up too loud and have the crossover too high. Don't try and get the sub to do all of the bass work. Subtle extension of only the very lowest frequencies is often best for music.

Also experiment with the positioning of the sub in you room as this can have a big effect on how they sound.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I would guess that a crossover of about 50-70Hz will probably be about right with those speakers.

Also try running the main speakers in full range mode and just use the sub to extend the bass below 50-60Hz

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for your suggestions. Unfortenately I can't play with the placement of the sub in the TV room because the space is limited. In fact the order of my system is the next one:

1) Subwoofer (separated from left wall as 50 cm.)

2) Left floor standing speaker (next to Sub).

3) Forniture with TV and HT speakers.

4) Right floor standing speaker.

All speakers separated from back wall as 25 or 30 cm. aprox.

I tried to locate the sub between both speakers (next to left speaker) but my sofa blocks the sound of the left speaker so with the current placement I have no obstacules from L/R speakers to listener position.

So in conclusion I need to do some testing adjusting crossover control between 50 and 80 Hz in order to find the best value...

Obviously, new comments will be welcome also...

Regards,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts