Help! GT30 has a strange clouding effect....what is it?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Last night i watched a few movies and at the end of Die Hard 4 as the credits rolled i noticed a strange sort of clouding around the top half of the screen and going down the left hand side, i thought it was some mild image retention so i ran the scrolling bar on the tv for 15-20 mins then put the next movie on (Man on Fire) and again at the end of the film it was still there.

For want of a better description it looks like the infamous clouding you get an an LCD/LED although milder and more widespread across the screen, it's even visible during some black scenes in movies and is worrying me as the tv has been calibrated correctly so i have no idea what this is or what might be causing it.

A better description would be that it looks like the affected parts of the screen have a different brightness level to the rest of the screen which gives this patchy look to a black screen, i was very careful with running the screen in for 500 hours so i'm sure it's nothing i have done as i'm very careful with the tv.

Can anyone shed some light on what this might be and give me any advice please before i get in touch with my retailer to discuss the problem, i have a 5 year guarantee on the tv so i'm not ooverly concerned but if i can do anything myself to solve the issue before hand that would be great.

Many thanks,

Oldboy

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Oldboy,

Along with the "green blob", fluctuating brightness levels are a known potential issue with the GT30 series. Google "GT30 brightness issues" for further info.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Are you watching in the dark or have you got any lights on, particularly behind the screen?

Low level dimmed lighting all angled away from the screen for minimal intrusion. Whilst watching in the dark the effect is even worse.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Hi Oldboy,

Along with the "green blob", fluctuating brightness levels are a known potential issue with the GT30 series. Google "GT30 brightness issues" for further info.

Omg...i thought these sorts of issues were a thing of the past! I'm not a happy chappy and will now be reporting the issue to my retailer, it's simply unacceptable for such an expensive tv. Any chance the issue will fade or disappear over time??

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
graham,

No i haven't got time today but i will tomorrow, i think i will contact my retailer first (Richer Sounds) as it's still in it's 1st year of warranty plus i bought a 5 year warranty from Richers when i bought the tv.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
it will be interesting to see what has caused the problem,hopefully its not permanant considering the hassle you have had with previous sets.

If the set needs replacing under warrenty,and theirs no gt30's about....'reckon you'll get a gt50?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
GSB said:
it will be interesting to see what has caused the problem,hopefully its not permanant considering the hassle you have had with previous sets.

If the set needs replacing under warrenty,and theirs no gt30's about....'reckon you'll get a gt50?

I don't think it's the fluctuating brightness issue, from all the vids on youtube i can see it has nothing in common with the issue i have with the GT30...it's so hard to convey, it's like 'clouds' of very different brightness in 3 very particular places on the tv when showing a black screen and looks nothing like any of the vids on the subject.

I will try posting a picture of it tonight if i can capture it with my phone but the last time i tried to post pictures the WHF site failed to upload them, i will give it a good go tonight and hope that i can get a good image for you all to see. It would be a good idea for me to capture it for when i contact Richer Sounds and Panasonic anyway, i just hope i'm able to upload it as it's so hard to describe.

Either way i'm angry that i've got yet another tv with issues...am i cursed or something? |(

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
To be completely honest i feel like crying, can one person be so unlucky? Up until last night the tv had been great, what i have done is leave the tv with the pixel protector wash pattern running today in the hope that it clears it up but i must admit i'm not expecting any change to the issue....to sum it up i'm absolutely gutted.

I'm just hoping that another fight with a retailer and manufacturer isn't on the cards as i don't think i've got another fight in me tbh, i've had enough if truth be told, is it not impossible to ask for a tv that works correctly?? I feel like i've had several peoples worth of bad luck and can't quite beleive i'm at this stage yet again...insert expletive here lol.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:
To be completely honest i feel like crying, can one person be so unlucky? Up until last night the tv had been great, what i have done is leave the tv with the pixel protector wash pattern running today in the hope that it clears it up but i must admit i'm not expecting any change to the issue....to sum it up i'm absolutely gutted.

I'm just hoping that another fight with a retailer and manufacturer isn't on the cards as i don't think i've got another fight in me tbh, i've had enough if truth be told, is it not impossible to ask for a tv that works correctly?? I feel like i've had several peoples worth of bad luck and can't quite beleive i'm at this stage yet again...insert expletive here lol.

Difficult to see how the pixel protector will have an effect on the sort of problem you are describing, unfortunately.

Did this problem come on suddenly? Seems very odd.

I hope you don't have to have a fight, and it may be hard to contemplate right now, but you'll have to do what needs to be done to get the TV you deserve. There will be plenty of people to support you on here when necessary :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much Ben

Yeah i knew at the time i was clutching at straws with pixel protector but thought it was worth a go.

Yes the problem did seem to come on suddenly, granted i only noticed it last night but that doesn't mean it wasn't there before as i normally skip the credits of a movie but it does seem odd that i only noticed it last night.

I'm wondering if my new blu ray player may have a part to play here but i can't see any reason why it should as nothing else has changed except the player and as it's a decent player i can't see any possible way it would be the culprit.

I know i'm over reacting right now but it's hard to not feel picked on lol, i'm sure once i get my head round it i will be ok and in the mood for a fight if necessary but hopefully but it doesn't come to that, i'm just starting to wonder where to start...should i start with Richers and then inform Panasonic or the other way round??

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't sound like a BDP problem, never heard of localised clouding as an issue. Does it appear when watching TV?

With your record, I'm not surprised you're feeling picked on, I don't think it's an overreaction at all. I guess the first thing is to give it a few days to see if the problem remains / gets worse / improves. After that, pretty sure the retailer should be the first port of call.

hyettdman

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Oldboy said:

Your not the only unlucky one oldboy believe me. Last year i had about 4 different led tvs, all with faults. I lost a lot of confidents in purchasing a tv completlely. I eventually bought another led tv,because i do actually like them and i wanted one that was'nt faulty (seems a rare thing these days) and i was actually scared to switch the tv on in fear of what i might see wrong again. This time the tv was a lot better, but i have a slight bit of patching even with my current set. I felt like you described. Yet another fight on my hands.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks to you all for your advice and support, i can't thank you enough...it really helps at times like this when it feels like the world is against you!! :clap:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
It doesn't sound like a BDP problem, never heard of localised clouding as an issue. Does it appear when watching TV?

With your record, I'm not surprised you're feeling picked on, I don't think it's an overreaction at all. I guess the first thing is to give it a few days to see if the problem remains / gets worse / improves. After that, pretty sure the retailer should be the first port of call.

Yep i've noticed it when watching tv tonight but it's no where near as bad as it is with bluray or dvd, what does seem strange is that in bright conditions it's virtually unnoticeable but in the evening it sticks out like a sore thumb...strange! Pixel protector had no effect after 8 hours of running so i think it's safe to rule out image retention or burn, now i'm at a complete loss as to what the cause is and it's still there this evening and i'm trying to get a good picture of it to show you all.

Hopefully i can get a picture up soon of the issue as it's easier to understand the problem when you see it for yourselves, im extremely angry at the moment but i will give it until friday to see if it lessens or fades but i think it's unlikely and then the fight will begin i guess...yet again lol...you simply couldn't make it up how many problems i've had with tv's :help:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all just a quick update i've decided to act now and contacted Richer Sounds this morning about the issue, the store at which i purchased the tv couldn't suggest any potential cause or fix so i had to ring customer services who have arranged for an engineer to come out to me on monday which gives me a few days to see if the issue fades or not.

Of course i will report back on monday after the engineer has been out to inspect the tv but the only thing that keeps whirling around my mind is oh no not again, here we go...i do hope this isn't the start of another long battle but i have to say Richers have been great so far.

I'm so happy i took out a 5 year warranty as it's at times like this that it comes into it's own as the tv passes it's initial 1 year manufacturers warranty period on the 13th of next month. Fingers crossed the issue is resolved quickly and easily :pray:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Just an update after the engineer called today:

So the engineer duly called today, really nice chap who knew his stuff so good start...as is the way with these things i was unable to replicate the issue whilst he was here due to the bright conditions as the issue is most noticeable when it gets dark and i have to switch the floor lamp on.

The engineer was very patient and understanding and after about 20 mins he came to the conclusion that i had two options, either i live with it and see if it gets worse or improves or it could be taken in for their engineers to look at it properly as they have a dedicated Panasonic engineer. He was of the opinion that it warranted closer inspection (although they were bound to say that i guess eh lol) so that's what i've decided to do, as part of my Richer Sounds warranty i will receive a loan set for the duration of the repair which is great news.

Just got to wait now for them to call me and arrange a day to collect it once they have sourced a loan set but that should happen in the next few days, after that i will be anxcious to see if they can replicate the issue and repair it but the engineer that came out today was of the opinion that it may mean a replacement screen so i could have a bit of a wait if so but i live in hope that it's not as serious as that.

As ever i will keep the thread updated with how things progress but it sure is a very strange issue to get with a plasma tv, it's like the ghost of my LCD/LEDs of past has come back to haunt me and added clouding to my plasma lol :cry:

Got to say i've been impressed with service i've received thus far so kudos yet again to Richer Sounds, brilliant service.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Good question...i have no idea tbh but i presume it will at least be the same screen size if not the same model, i just hope i don't receive a supermarket cheap as chips base model from the likes of Technika but i wouldn't be surprised. My heart would sink at that point especially if i've got it for 3-4 weeks after all you never know just how long they are going to keep my GT30 for as i guess it depends on what the issue is and what the repair may consist of :boohoo:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts