Heavy gauge wire vs Audiophile Cables

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

It's fine to recommend different speaker cables and say that you've heard differences, but it isn't fine to mention that nobody has ever successfully identified one cable from another in a blind test :)

It's fine to talk about passive speakers all day long, but talk too much about actives and you're "ramming actives down peoples throats" :)

It's not a problem starting a thread that endorses voodoo products like Black Ravioli, but it is when you start a thread that questions their magic properties :)

okaaaay :beer:

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
bigblue235 said:
maxflinn said:
With respect and IMO, you've become a little too comfortable with declaring what is or isn't worthy of discussion, you're continuously declaring what peoples motives are, and questioning the validity of threads that you don't happen to like, as has been the case with several of Steve's threads.

I think it's best if you don't interact with me on here again, if you want to be a moderator then why not email WHF? Otherwise you might bare in mind that you're just another forum member like me and everyone else, and you don't have any authority over other forum members or any say in what they decide to post.

Thanks.

With respect and IMO, that's a load of irony-ridden nonsense. I don't think you're really the best person to tell anyone how to behave on a forum, are you?

If you don't want to respond to my posts that's fine, but please don't tell me what to do. And enough with the psychoanalysis, eh? It's just daft.

I have no problem with you as a person, but I'm hardly the only one with an issue with some of your posts. I've seen you complain about the way you're supposedly treated by several folk now, me being the latest in a long line. Can you not stop to think why?

Steve and I discussed what you refer to above like grown-ups and we moved on.

Cheers.

+several million.
- several million and one :wave:

John Duncan

maxflinn said:
It's fine to recommend different speaker cables and say that you've heard differences, but it isn't fine to mention that nobody has ever successfully identified one cable from another in a blind test :)

It's fine to talk about passive speakers all day long, but talk too much about actives and you're "ramming actives down peoples throats" :)

It's not a problem starting a thread that endorses voodoo products like Black Ravioli, but it is when you start a thread that questions their magic properties :)

If you don't like it...

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
maxflinn said:

If you don't like it...
Now that's exactly what I was trying to get across to Bigblue, there's nobody forcing him to read threads or posts that he doesn't like.

John Duncan

maxflinn said:
John Duncan said:
maxflinn said:

If you don't like it...
Now that's exactly what I was trying to get across to Bigblue, there's nobody forcing him to read threads or posts that he doesn't like.

Ever the reasonable man.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
John Duncan said:
maxflinn said:

If you don't like it...

That doesn't seem anything like what you were trying to get across, as you could have said that in one sentence rather than all that stuff where you telling me how to behave. It's still wrong, but at least it'd have taken me less time to reply.

And, again, heavy on the irony. You're telling me not to take part in threads where I don't agree with the subject matter in a thread where you're once again on a crusade to educate us all about the folly of our ways. Maybe you should follow your own advice and stay out of cable threads?

You seem to see what you say and do very differently to many of the rest of us. You'll be on Twitter next, quoting Nietzsche and telling people that you're just misunderstood ;)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Alright kids, listen up here :rant: This is a hi-fi forum! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, in hi-fi we are sometimes so concerned with our opinions being heard that we tend to criticise others. That is not really what this post or indeed this forum is about. Please try to get along with one another, if you don't agree with something there are very polite ways of saying so.

Lastly, can we please keep it on cables, I just asked for some reccomendations :wall: It would also be great if anyone could tell me if they switched from expensive cables to hardware store ones.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
shafesk said:
Alright kids, listen up here :rant: This is a hi-fi forum! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, in hi-fi we are sometimes so concerned with our opinions being heard that we tend to criticise others. That is not really what this post or indeed this forum is about. Please try to get along with one another, if you don't agree with something there are very polite ways of saying so.

Lastly, can we please keep it on cables, I just asked for some reccomendations :wall: It would also be great if anyone could tell me if they switched from expensive cables to hardware store ones.

As I posted earlier, I moved from expensive speaker cable to generic multi strand copper cable. There is no difference. I moved from expensive XLRs to pro audio XLRs bought on eBay. There was no difference. I use mostly standard RCAs for the rest of my kit that have been stripped from other products. I have no concerns these are not doing my kit justice.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
shafesk said:

Well I concur with your findings,

As I posted earlier, I moved from expensive speaker cable to generic multi strand copper cable. There is no difference. I moved from expensive XLRs to pro audio XLRs bought on eBay. There was no difference. I use mostly standard RCAs for the rest of my kit that have been stripped from other products. I have no concerns these are not doing my kit justice.

Well I concur with your findings,

Good amp good speakers and you are away.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks BenLaw and Moon, well I've heard differences in RCA cables but I think the differences are minute for XLRs. Mind you, they weren't huge differences, just enough for me to prefer one over the other for the same money. I've switched from thin branded speaker cables to thicker non branded ones and noticed an improvement....I guess it depends a lot on the listening room and how much electrical interference there is and how much you are willing to try for the last 5%. By the way Ben, your system looks great :clap:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shafesk said:

Well, as you can see, there isn't an answer....or at least not a definitive one that can be agreed on. This has to be something that needs to be tried for yourself....and don't let anyone (including me), tell you what's what.

Chebby got it spot on some threads back, when he said that you are either someone who believes in the benefits of cables, isolation and stands/rack construction, or you are not.

As you know, I'm in the former camp, as I've heard the improvements.....but I certainly respect the judgement of those who have tried and failed to see what all the fuss is about.

Cno

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
As you know, I'm in the former camp, as I've heard the improvements.....but I certainly respect the judgement of those who have tried and failed to see what all the fuss is about.

:clap: Ladies and gentlemen, the most sensible post in another downward spiralling thread.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Finally some participation on your part, welcome! Well Cno, I've always tried to take your advice as I've seen that they work for me. As you know I also fall in your camp and therefore would love for you to make me some suggestions. That being said, I respect people who don't believe as well unless they get agressive. Each to their own. I'm saying that I believe in cables making a difference but would I be better off trying thinner audiophile cables or thicker hardware store ones?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shafesk said:
Finally some participation on your part, welcome! Well Cno, I've always tried to take your advice as I've seen that they work for me. As you know I also fall in your camp and therefore would love for you to make me some suggestions. That being said, I respect people who don't believe as well unless they get agressive. Each to their own. I'm saying that I believe in cables making a difference but would I be better off trying thinner audiophile cables or thicker hardware store ones?

I'm just off to the Irish Open golf, so will reply later (if not washed away)!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering, shafesk, how many different cables you have listened to, both 'audiophile' and hardware? I ask this because you seem to have very particular views on a couple of different cables over on a different thread [QED Silver Anniversary (original) against Chord Co Silver Carnival]. Are you genuinely asking for advice or is this an open question for general discussion [or rather argument and recrimination]?

I am a little confused [but that wouldn't be the first time, nor I suspect, the last].

:?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
I was wondering, shafesk, how many different cables you have listened to, both 'audiophile' and hardware? I ask this because you seem to have very particular views on a couple of different cables over on a different thread [QED Silver Anniversary (original) against Chord Co Silver Carnival]. Are you genuinely asking for advice or is this an open question for general discussion [or rather argument and recrimination]?

I am a little confused [but that wouldn't be the first time, nor I suspect, the last].

Well I've listened to a variety of them, the QEDs and Chords for instance, some Van den huls, kimbres. I have only listened to one hardware cables, the one I am using. However, these all of these cables were within my reach before but now as I have a large run I cannot afford to have the cables. I have also not had the luxury to compare these cables with the same length of these hardware cables as I've given them away. But as far as the Van den huls go, its definitely an improvement over them, though as I've already stated they are an old pair that have had a hard life so I don't think its a fair test.

That is why I am seeking advice on whether it'd be best to spend 2 pounds per metre on audiophile cables or stick with the ones I have i.e. the hardware store cables.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
Looking for content for your Blog maybe?
Ahh I see you have noticed that I got added to AF. It isn't just my blog though, a joint effort between two Shafins and some of my friends here in Bangladesh. The ones that I have written says "Keep on Listening" at the end.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Max, we are always looking for people to share their experience and impart some wisdom. Please let me know if you or anyone else in this forum want to contribute :)

A

Anonymous

shafesk said:
Thank you Max, we are always looking for people to share their experience and impart some wisdom. Please let me know if you or anyone else in this forum want to contribute :)
I'm sure I'll have one or two things I'd like to add :)

Thanks, Shafin...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
shafesk said:
relocated said:

Well I've listened to a variety of them, the QEDs and Chords for instance, some Van den huls, kimbres. I have only listened to one hardware cables, the one I am using. However, these all of these cables were within my reach before but now as I have a large run I cannot afford to have the cables. I have also not had the luxury to compare these cables with the same length of these hardware cables as I've given them away. But as far as the Van den huls go, its definitely an improvement over them, though as I've already stated they are an old pair that have had a hard life so I don't think its a fair test.

That is why I am seeking advice on whether it'd be best to spend 2 pounds per metre on audiophile cables or stick with the ones I have i.e. the hardware store cables.

Although a line from your blog suggests you've already made up your mind: '

I myself use hardware shop cables, mainly because on my budget I can't afford such a long run of audiophile cables. However, I guarantee that if I had spent the same on audiophile cables then I wouldn't have gotten my system to sound as good.'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts