Heavy gauge wire vs Audiophile Cables

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Yes, but there are plenty of dealers who do think speaker cables do make a difference, and they're being honest too.

Exactly....which is why people should be credited with a modicum of common sense and encouraged to try for themselves.

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
Yes, but there are plenty of dealers who do think speaker cables do make a difference, and they're being honest too :)

As much as I don't think there's much if any differences in these things, I wouldn't use interconnects that are too basic. I've had some shoddy ones in my time. Yes, a wire is a wire and all that, but it needs to be put together properly.

I've never had a dealer 'push' expensive cables on me, quite the opposite, but I'm sure they'd let me buy some if I wanted them. I'm not sure if Rick does the same? He lists a couple of cable companies on his site, and it would be daft not to have something that someone is prepared to buy.
I bought some speaker cables from Rick a year or so ago to use with my Dynaudios, they were very well made with nice thick strands of copper running through them and terminated with banana plugs, I can't remember what I payed for them but it wasn't much, and he told me that they were as good as one would need for any system.

I used the cheapest interconnects I could find and they worked fine, though I appreciate that others wouldn't be happy with them, each to their own I guess.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
bigblue235 said:
Yes, but there are plenty of dealers who do think speaker cables do make a difference, and they're being honest too.

Exactly....which is why people should be credited with a modicum of common sense and encouraged to try for themselves.
Agreed, and they should also be encouraged to get their heads around expectation bias, and the differences that people often perceive in sighted tests that go away in blind tests, etc, and even better, to try some blind tests themselves.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
Agreed, and they should also be encouraged to get their heads around expectation bias, and the differences that people often perceive in sighted tests that go away in blind tests, etc,

Or not, as the case may be.

And they should also be encouraged not to take everything they read on the net as gospel, and they should go out and experience stuff for themselves.

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
maxflinn said:
Agreed, and they should also be encouraged to get their heads around expectation bias, and the differences that people often perceive in sighted tests that go away in blind tests, etc,

Or not, as the case may be.

And they should also be encouraged not to take everything they read on the net as gospel, and they should go out and experience stuff for themselves.
Has anyone ever successfully identified one cable from another in a published blind test? I don't ever remember reading about it if they have.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think you can hear a difference with some cables.

The good ones don't add any noticable distortion and they all sound the same because they can't make the original signal better than it already is. Bad ones that do add distortion can make it worse though, I suspect this is what often gets mistaken as an 'improvement' with overpriced audiophile cables.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Max, on one hand you say each to their own, but then two minutes later you're back to going on about blind tests. Read above, I said I personally don't find much difference in cables, but if others feel differently, either because they believe they can hear differences in their own tests or, like you, they take other people's findings as their source of info, I say fair play and good luck to them all. Surely that is what 'each to their own' means, that each person can have their own way, rather than "You can have your opinions but I'll keep preaching to you unless you can find me data".

And I can't believe you two have kinda disagreed. Go on then, debate it amongst yourselves :)

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
Max, on one hand you say each to their own, but then two minutes later you're back to going on about blind tests. Read above, I said I personally don't find much difference in cables, but if others feel differently, either because they believe they can hear differences in their own tests or, like you, they take other people's findings as their source of info, I say fair play and good luck to them all. Surely that is what 'each to their own' means, that each person can have their own way, rather than "You can have your opinions but I'll keep preaching to you unless you can find me data".

And I can't believe you two have kinda disagreed. Go on then, debate it amongst yourselves :)
I just asked a question..

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:

Ah, is this the 'wide eyed innocence' someone mentioned on another thread?

Of course you just asked a question. But why did you ask said question?. Are you really open-minded, or were you just using it as an opening to make yet another thread about your favourite subject?

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
maxflinn said:

Of course you just asked a question. But why did you ask said question?. Are you really open-minded, or were you just using it as an opening to make yet another thread about your favourite subject?
You're pseudo moderating... The thread is about cables and opinions on the merits of them have been put forward by both believers and non believers.

Perhaps you've become a little too fixated with what I say?

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
bigblue235 said:
maxflinn said:

You're pseudo moderating... The thread is about cables and opinions on the merits of them have been put forward by both believers and non believers.

Perhaps you've become a little too fixated with what I say and with my opinions? Plenty of people who have opposing opinions when it comes to cables are able to express their views on a regular basis yet you don't question them, why is that?

EDIT...I hit quote instead of edit :)

T

the record spot

shafesk said:
absolutely spot on Rich, well I don't worry about my system when I'm listening to it so I'm not terminal yet. Having said that I've spent what to me is a fortune and I'd like to get this sytem purrfect

Went from Audioquest Type IV (now around £13/m), to 400-strand cable. £18 all in. Works a treat.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
You're pseudo moderating...

No, I just asked a question...

The thread is about cables and opinions on the merits of them have been put forward by both believers and non believers.

No, that's what it was and should be about, but it was rapidly heading towards the usual nonsense and now it's got there. Blind tests, expectation bias, etc. I believe shafesk wanted some advice, not yet another one of 'those' cable threads.

Wrong, but it's always good to see some amateur psychology. Maybe you should consider why you're fixated with this place. I'm amazed you're still here, weren't you leaving again the other day?

Plenty of people who have opposing opinions when it comes to cables are able to express their views on a regular basis yet you don't question them, why is that?

You've read all my posts? Are you fixated with what I have to say? Anyway, that's cobblers; I disagree with plenty of folk, as do most people here. I take part in threads other than ones related to Audiophoolery, maybe that's why you miss them.

In matters like this where it's hard to have facts, I have no issue in accepting that whatever anyone says is inconclusive. I explained earlier about genuinely believing it should be 'each to their own'. But when someone seems to think they have knowledge and the rest of us are all misinformed, it gets a bit wearying.

To turn that point back to you, Steve seems to disagree with your 'all speaker cables are the same' position, why don't you discuss that with him?

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
maxflinn said:
You're pseudo moderating...

No, I just asked a question...

The thread is about cables and opinions on the merits of them have been put forward by both believers and non believers.

No, that's what it was and should be about, but it was rapidly heading towards the usual nonsense and now it's got there. Blind tests, expectation bias, etc. I believe shafesk wanted some advice, not yet another one of 'those' cable threads.

Wrong, but it's always good to see some amateur psychology. Maybe you should consider why you're fixated with this place. I'm amazed you're still here, weren't you leaving again the other day?
With respect and IMO, you've become a little too comfortable with declaring what is or isn't worthy of discussion, you're continuously declaring what peoples motives are, and questioning the validity of threads that you don't happen to like, as has been the case with several of Steve's threads.

I think it's best if you don't interact with me on here again, if you want to be a moderator then why not email WHF? Otherwise you might bare in mind that you're just another forum member like me and everyone else, and you don't have any authority over other forum members or any say in what they decide to post.

Thanks.

T

the record spot

I think there's enough moderators out there and I don't see bigblue wanting to be one. He just had some of the same issues with your posting that I did Max. Maybe you should go back to your ADMs and listen to the last Clash album for a while. Or get off the cod-crusades bus. Or something.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
I think there's enough moderators out there and I don't see bigblue wanting to be one. He just had some of the same issues with your posting that I did Max. Maybe you should go back to your ADMs and listen to the last Clash album for a while. Or get off the cod-crusades bus. Or something.
Maybe you should mind your own business? Or something...

John Duncan

maxflinn said:
With respect and IMO, you've become a little too comfortable with declaring what is or isn't worthy of discussion, you're continuously declaring what peoples motives are, and questioning the validity of threads that you don't happen to like, as has been the case with several of Steve's threads.

I think it's best if you don't interact with me on here again, if you want to be a moderator then why not email WHF? Otherwise you might bare in mind that you're just another forum member like me and everyone else, and you don't have any authority over other forum members or any say in what they decide to post.

Thanks.

Funny.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:

Thanks.

With respect and IMO, that's a load of irony-ridden nonsense. I don't think you're really the best person to tell anyone how to behave on a forum, are you?

If you don't want to respond to my posts that's fine, but please don't tell me what to do. And enough with the psychoanalysis, eh? It's just daft.

I have no problem with you as a person, but I'm hardly the only one with an issue with some of your posts. I've seen you complain about the way you're supposedly treated by several folk now, me being the latest in a long line. Can you not stop to think why?

Steve and I discussed what you refer to above like grown-ups and we moved on.

Cheers.

T

the record spot

maxflinn said:
the record spot said:
Maybe you should mind your own business? Or something...

Well, I am. I'm commenting on another post in a public forum. The problem with that is...?

T

the record spot

bigblue235 said:
maxflinn said:

Thanks.

With respect and IMO, that's a load of irony-ridden nonsense. I don't think you're really the best person to tell anyone how to behave on a forum, are you?

If you don't want to respond to my posts that's fine, but please don't tell me what to do. And enough with the psychoanalysis, eh? It's just daft.

I have no problem with you as a person, but I'm hardly the only one with an issue with some of your posts. I've seen you complain about the way you're supposedly treated by several folk now, me being the latest in a long line. Can you not stop to think why?

Steve and I discussed what you refer to above like grown-ups and we moved on.

Cheers.

+several million.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts