Headphone recommendations for comfort, sound and style.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Looking at around £200, £250 max or £100-£200. Looking for something that's quite common and well known. On ear preferably but open to over ear if they are really good. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

I like rock music mainly and like it to be good with other music too because I listen to quite a range of music too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
3 cans worth the research:

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Sony MDR-MA900

Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X

I would recommend AKGs but their PRC made cans are a POS.

D

Deleted member 2457

Vladimir said:
3 cans worth the research:

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Sony MDR-MA900

Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X

I would recommend AKGs but their PRC made cans are a POS.
Cheers Vlad! I am finding it difficult to find these pairs. Not year tried the Audio pair though.

The Aurium

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
AKG K702 are very open in sound stage - competes with flag ship models for extent of openness. Very clear treble without being harsh and very natural with voices and acoustic timbres. A little reserved on bass... but if your music has real deep or sub woofer bass the K702 will shudder with depth; it's more the low mids or high bass areas that are a little thin.

Beyer Dynamic DT880 - Very similar to the AKG but a tad more full bass. Slightly but noticeably, more of a dynamic expressive hdphn compared with the cool, clear open AKG presentation but slightly less open than the AKG.

Sennheiser Momentum - never got round to auditioning them but may be that was a mistake! Bottom line is I prefer over-ear to on-ear phones. :)

Hope that helps.

D

Deleted member 2457

The Aurium said:
AKG K702 are very open in sound stage - competes with flag ship models for extent of openness. Very clear treble without being harsh and very natural with voices and acoustic timbres. A little reserved on bass... but if your music has real deep or sub woofer bass the K702 will shudder with depth; it's more the low mids or high bass areas that are a little thin.

Beyer Dynamic DT880 - Very similar to the AKG but a tad more full bass. Slightly but noticeably, more of a dynamic expressive hdphn compared with the cool, clear open AKG presentation but slightly less open than the AKG.

Sennheiser Momentum - never got round to auditioning them but may be that was a mistake! Bottom line is I prefer over-ear to on-ear phones. :)

Hope that helps.
Cheers for that! Very helpful.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I replaced the PRC made K701 with the Austrian made K702. Brilliant can, I love it.
heart.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Vladimir said:
I replaced the PRC made K701 with the Austrian made K702. Brilliant can, I love it.
Okay, ta Vlad's!

D

Deleted member 2457

I have gone for the Sennheiser Momentum in black! *clapping*. Thanks guys.

D

Deleted member 2457

rob_981 said:
Did you go for the on ear or the over ear momentums?
I listened to both and thought they were both excellent but went for the over ear. They didn't really feel like over the ear.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Good choice. I have both, as well as the b&w p3, but the over ear momentums are definitely my favourite, and the ones that get most use.

They don't fully surround my ears, but it's by a very small margin, and the pads are so soft that I barely notice. They are really comfortable, and I can happily listen for a few hours at a time with no discomfort.

Hope you enjoy them. I've been following your hunt for headphones over the past while, so hope you've found some you're happy with.

D

Deleted member 2457

rob_981 said:
Good choice. I have both, as well as the b&w p3, but the over ear momentums are definitely my favourite, and the ones that get most use.

They don't fully surround my ears, but it's by a very small margin, and the pads are so soft that I barely notice. They are really comfortable, and I can happily listen for a few hours at a time with no discomfort.

Hope you enjoy them. I've been following your hunt for headphones over the past while, so hope you've found some you're happy with.
Cheers mate, I am just holding fire for one last demo today I have decided. But I am still pretty set on them. Will report back.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
gel said:
rob_981 said:
I listened to both and thought they were both excellent but went for the over ear. They didn't really feel like over the ear.

I've said this 1000 times on headphone forums but nobody picks up on it. The term "over ear" was developed and heavily promoted by certain folks to disguise the fact that certain headphones didn't go around the ear completely, or in some cases not even partially with a good compromise.

It's the scam of our times in the headphone biz.

EDIT: BTW, the time-honored terms have been circumaural and supraaural - i.e. around-ear and on-ear, but as I said, some evil marketers changed it and it seems nobody has resisted.

D

Deleted member 2457

dalethorn said:
gel said:
rob_981 said:

I've said this 1000 times on headphone forums but nobody picks up on it. The term "over ear" was developed and heavily promoted by certain folks to disguise the fact that certain headphones didn't go around the ear completely, or in some cases not even partially with a good compromise.

It's the scam of our times in the headphone biz.

EDIT: BTW, the time-honored terms have been circumaural and supraaural - i.e. around-ear and on-ear, but as I said, some evil marketers changed it and it seems nobody has resisted.
Cheers Dale!

SteveR750

Gel, think whether you want some monitor specced cans, or something morer tailored. Headphones are far more distinctive and varied and consistently so as there are no room interactions. I've got some sennheiser IE80 buds (very tailored), Klipsch x11i (also tailored), Grado SR80 (flattish, but lifted upper mids) and DT880 (pretty flat, initial impression where did the bass go?).

Incidentally, learning to appreciate the DRT880 presentation has given me the insight into the ATC SCM40 room speakers - a very similar approach.

D

Deleted member 2457

SteveR750 said:
Gel, think whether you want some monitor specced cans, or something morer tailored. Headphones are far more distinctive and varied and consistently so as there are no room interactions. I've got some sennheiser IE80 buds (very tailored), Klipsch x11i (also tailored), Grado SR80 (flattish, but lifted upper mids) and DT880 (pretty flat, initial impression where did the bass go?).

Incidentally, learning to appreciate the DRT880 presentation has given me the insight into the ATC SCM40 room speakers - a very similar approach.
Cheers for the tips.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts