Over ear cans - recommendations?

gylo

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
So this is my recent history:
Bower&Wilkins P5 first generation, style over substance, not comfy.
Sennheiser HD 598SR - I like them more, could do with a little warmth.

Running from apple devices and laptop.
Thinking about having a headphone dac also. only have an M-Dac nano at the moment

Go to daily drive are Sony WF-1000XM4, which I really like.

Looking at over-ear cans with a wider sound stage for home listening, budget £200

matthewpianist

If you want a wider soundstage you really need to look at open back rather than closed back. I have a pair of HD598cs closed back headphones and they're excellent, but they have nothing like the soundstage of my open back Grado SR225x. The thing about Grado however is that they aren't close to being a warm sounding headphone so they probably won't suit you.

Beyer Dynamic springs to mind - they tend to combine the qualities you're seeking.

Reactions: gylo and WayneKerr

Kurtevich

Jan 31, 2023
Visit site
I'm not sure about wider soundstage, but I think you can't go wrong with Audio-technica ATH-M50X. There is wired version, BT version (this one costs around 200€) and the new wired with mic and optionally with own DAC (in case if you need the mic off course). If you have a store where you can check them - worth trying.

Reactions: gylo

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I use and strongly recommend Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones. Over ear/open backed, wide spatial sound warm to neutral sound with much detail. Build quality is very impressive, leather headband and high quality large over ear velvet ear cups. Here's a What HiFi review Philips Fidelio X2 review | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com) .
There's plenty of actual user reviews here, and the price fits your budget.
Philips Fidelio X2HR Over-Ear High Resolution Wired Headphones | Open-Back Design | Double-Layered Ear Shells | 50 mm Neodymium Drivers | Deluxe Memory Foam Earpads: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ
If you don't like them (unlikely), you can always return them for a refund.
Hope this helps.
P.

Reactions: matthewpianist

Voine1977

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Vampire Survivors
So this is my recent history:
Bower&Wilkins P5 first generation, style over substance, not comfy.
Sennheiser HD 598SR - I like them more, could do with a little warmth.

Running from apple devices and laptop.
Thinking about having a headphone dac also. only have an M-Dac nano at the moment

Go to daily drive are Sony WF-1000XM4, which I really like.

Looking at over-ear cans with a wider sound stage for home listening, budget £200
Based on your preferences, I would recommend checking out the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. They offer a wide soundstage and excellent clarity, making them ideal for home listening. Additionally, they are comfortable to wear for extended periods and are well-built. They also fall within your budget of £200.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
I tried the Meze Classics and Grado SR325x back to back.

The Meze were ok but the only word I can think of to describe the sound is “diluted”

The Grado transformed music for me. I have a thread about them I think. Stunning sound and wide sound stage. I had actually intended to buy the Meze or Sennheiser when I got to the store and they suggested also trying the Grado. There was no comparison once I’d heard them and I agree with the earlier comment that if you want wider sound stage look into open back

TRENDING THREADS