HDMI Cables to have a 1.4 compliant or not to have a 1.4 compliant - is there a noticeable difference?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings all,

Will I notice a visual benefit if I use a HDMI cable that is 1.4 compliant, compared with an HDMI cable that is not 1.4 compliant?

I.E is there a noticeable difference between the Wireworld Chrome 6 and QED Profile HDMI cable if I connect the Panasonic DVD player to my Panasonic 3d TV?

I look forward to receiving your comments

thanking you kindly in advance.

Happy Driver

A

Anonymous

There is no difference. HDMI 1.4 adds ethernet, audio return and support for a very high resolution that your TV does not support. There is no harm in using v1.4 cables, but their benefit is essentially wasted until you have equipment that uses these features.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4 is correct - there is no such thing as a 1.3 or a 1.4 cable. There is Standard Speed (which guarantees 720p / 1080i signals) and High Speed (which guarantees 1080p, 3D, ARC etc.). Both Standard Speed and High Speed cables can come with Ethernet capabilities. See this website.

The 1.3 and 1.4 standards refer to the specifications of the ports within the devices to describe what those devices are capable of.

A

Anonymous

You are correct. Generally cables marketed as v1.4 are those that support HDMI over Ethernet and 4K resolutions. Be careful though, you probably wouldn't want a standard cable with Ethernet.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
djgandy:Generally cables marketed as v1.4 are those that support HDMI over Ethernet and 4K resolutions.

Well, no, as (a) companies are no longer allowed to market cables as v1.4 (as announced in this news story last year) and (b) it would be ethernet over HDMI and this is only on cables which specifically state this - High Speed cables on their own will not transport ethernet over HDMI. 4K is also supported by the High Speed standard, so this would be covered by any cable that used to be marketed under the 1.3 banner as well.

It's confusing as hell already, so it's best not to confuse things further! Just look for High Speed certification and you should be okay
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts