Soundbase connectivity .. HDMI or optical?

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the verge of buying a Panasonic soundbase for my Panasonic TV, with the thought that, via the Viera link, hooking it up using HDMI connectivity should be a doddle and I ought to be able to control the volume using just the TV remote (once the basic set-up procedures have been gone through).

Now, I've just read several reviews of the Canton DM55 soundbase, all of which sing its praises to the rafters. The thing that I notice is that it does not have an HDMI connection. My TV does have an audio out optical connection which I could use to connect to the Canton, but I wonder if I would then have the same TV remote control facility as with 'matching' equipment.

I've read somewhere on these forum pages that optical cables can't carry the full audio/visual signal that an HDMI cable can (I think I understood that correctly). Therefore, should I stick to a soundbase that has HDMI connectivity and, possibly more importantly in my own case, should I stick to Panasonic for the best 'fit'?

When it comes to a soundbase, HDMI or optical shouldn't matter too much. It's true that optical cannot carry HD audio, but where will you get HD audio from? Have you got a blu ray player? If just TV channels, you won't get HD audio anyway. Besides, difference between lossless HD audio and non-HD audio won't be as pronounced on a soundbase as a proper surround sound system.

A learning IR sensor on the Canton will learn your TV's remote volume control - meaning you only need your TV's remote, and not the soundbase one, for most TV watching.

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks bigboss ..

I'm assuming that the two tuners in my HD Recorder and the one in my HD TV all produce HD audio. By this I understand that any audio that accompanies HD transmissions and Blu-ray recordings is, by definition, going to be in HD as well, otherwise what would be the point?

If my understanding is correct, I conclude that I should ideally use HDMI over optical for my soundbase.

There is no TV programme with HD audio. HD video doesn't mean even audio is an HD (lossless) codec. Your only source will be blu ray films. HDMI is better than optical, but I would argue that the difference won't be as discernable in a soundbase as opposed to a 5.1 surround system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts