Has your taste in music changed over the years?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
DIB said:
davedotco said:
I am forever seeking out new music, new to me that is, which is why I use Spotify a lot. In the last couple of weeks I have been running through the Art Pepper (the fisherman) recordings made at Ronnie Scotts,

Spooky, so have I recently! That was on the back of reading a Michael Connolly novel on holiday where the main character was listening to this Art Pepper boxset.

Hieronymus Bosch is an authority on american jazz, well worth listening to his recommendations.

Then of course John Rebus has a somewhat eclectic taste in 70s english and scottish rock, again worth investigations.

And then the Chris Carter novels contain multiple references to 'the greatest band in the history of the world', the heroes are detectives Robert Hunter and Carlos (?) Garcia.

Funny, I found out about John Martyn through reading Rebus books and also looking at Ian Rankin's "playlist" on his website!

Like others though, my muscial tastes have broadened quite considerably over time. I was very much a heavy rock fanatic - and still am. Hawkwind, Zeppelin, Floyd, Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson), Tull.....you get the gist. This has broadened out into folk (Trees, Pentangle, the Fairports), I bought my first classical album at the weekend, some singer song writer stuff. I have found that I'm far more appreciative of music when it''s well recorded.

I've also joined a Facebook music listening group too and get loads of new ideas for new things to listen to from the members there.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I enjoyed some of the earlier Hotel Costes compilations.

Scroobius Pip vs Dan Le Sac 'Angles' is well worth a try and a good laugh.

Frank Zappa is always worth a listen if you have never listened to his stuff before.

The Golden Age of American Rock 'n Roll (Country Edition and Special Novelty Edition CDs) are so strikingly awful and cheesy that they will first make you laugh and then - possibly - realise a few of the tracks are remarkably well made.

Desmond Dekker's 'Officially Live And Rare' CD sounds like it was recorded in a large pub and is bl@@dy brilliant (I was at the same concert but the night after the recorded one 70 miles away at their next venue and it was electric).

Any Duke Ellington Orchestra. (Even/especially with 'Sinatra at The Sands' live.)

XTC English Settlement.

Caravan 'Land of Grey and Pink'. (My only 'progressive' album but great despite that.)

Handel's Messiah (John Eliot Gardiner, Monteverdi choir on Philips CD)

Spike Lee & Co. 'Do it Acapella' is a must have.

Just some ideas to try if you haven't already.

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Do you think it might be something to do with our hearing as we get older.it certainly changes maybe thats why our tastes might change ?

for example i have an app on my phone for annoying teenagers i set it to a frequency that i can not hear a thing and just laugh at the teenagers hold there ears hahahaha

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
You were lucky I had to listen Perry Como!

I will see your Perry Como and raise you...

Miki and Griff. Joseph Locke and Slim Whitman to name but a few.

Some of the stuff I own/play is way off the scale. Always liked trying new genres etc but with one exception that will never ever change.

Cannot abide that , Some ***t from preston music. Utter drivel.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Nelly said:
Do you think it might be something to do with our hearing as we get older.it certainly changes maybe thats why our tastes might change ?

Personally, I think it has little to do with "hearing change"....and more to do with maturing tastes and a mind broadened by a greater wealth of experience.

As teenagers we often like the more rebelious, "edgy" stuff, and often avoid "the oldies" stuff. As one becomes an "oldie", being seen as trendy isn't as important, and you can then start appreciating what made this music great.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Nelly said:

Personally, I think it has little to do with "hearing change"....and more to do with maturing tastes and a mind broadened by a greater wealth of experience.

As teenagers we often like the more rebelious, "edgy" stuff, and often avoid "the oldies" stuff. As one becomes an "oldie", being seen as trendy isn't as important, and you can then start appreciating what made this music great.

I agree its not your hearing but your taste, also how music ages, I can still play some music I played when I was 16 like Led Zep and Pink Floyd but some of the other stuff sounds so dated now or I just don't like it (Yes/ELP). What Im saying is the quality stuff may stand the test of time but alot of the 40 year stuff I don't play now. For me I get bored with the same music, always looking for new material, today it takes a lot more work to find as the mainstream stuff is not to my taste, but I do find some I like mainly through Spotify or Rdio. Even when I was about 16 my tastes changed, Black Sabbath I liked for a while but not long. I don't agree about the being trendy part though.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Nelly said:

Yep, agree with that.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
I don't agree about the being trendy part though.

As a teenager, there is often huge pier pressure to conform.....which doesn't exist to the same extent, as you get more comfortable in your own skin. This is what I meant by "trendy".

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
I don't agree about the being trendy part though.

As a teenager, there is often huge pier pressure to conform.....which doesn't exist to the same extent, as you get more comfortable in your own skin. This is what I meant by "trendy".

I think you mean peer pressure. To be honest I think that is a more recent thing did not get that when I was young in the early 70s, some people were into Tull and other stuff and others were not, people just went with what they liked.

T

the record spot

BigH said:
the record spot said:
BigH said:
Never liked any of my parents music.

Elvis, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash....I don't feel like I'm losing out here. :)

Jim Reeves?

Yep, him too - he's more country (though arguably, Elvis and Johnny Cash were too for a while) and tracks like He'll Have to Go and I Love You Because are fondly remembered. We had more of the other three and the big bands from the 40s - Harry James, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, etc.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
I think you mean peer pressure.

Yup......typed in a hurry before rushing back to work. :oops:

I was a teenager in the 70s, and there was certainly peer pressure where I was......whether you gave in to it depended on your individuality and strength of character. Generally I found a fair number of kids liked to be seen to conform, in order to avoid getting slagged or bullied.

T

the record spot

A huge pier, yesterday:-

St.-Petersburg-Pier-BIG-13-537x402.jpg

....and some peers:-

Peers-not-as-cute-as-peng-005.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts