Grilles off / Grilles on

AJM1981

Audioholics offers a nice insight into why it is a better choice to leave the grilles off.

The following is perhaps a big open door to users who own one. But I have noticed that AMT tweeters, despite their great clarity behave like beams.

When you are out of the field, even standing up from the chair the treble disappears, when someone passes in front them, the treble is gone. This side effect doesn't apply to hard or soft domed tweeters which easily can fill a room. Which might be why AMT systems can be a deal breaker to people who are used to conventional tweeters and want room filling audio outside the circle around a speaker.

It also means that when a person passing has a full effect, any grill should have, without a doubt have a percentage of dampening effect on the full potential of an AMT tweeter.

This example does not apply to all speakers and I know that having grilles off or on can also be an aesthetic choice and having grilles off is not always an option with kids and pets around.

What is your preference? and do you notice any difference? :)

Last edited:

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I generally leave them on because I don't like the look of exposed drive units that much and I can't hear much difference.

Changing between the two speaker cables I use makes a bigger difference.

To be honest, I don't understand speaker manufacturers making grilles and then recommend to take them off.

Either voice the speakers with them on or don't bother in the first place.

AJM1981

I generally leave them on because I don't like the look of exposed drive units that much and I can't hear much difference.

To be honest, I don't understand speaker manufacturers making grilles and then recommend to take them off.

Like with cables and Bi wiring, it won't really do much for the big picture but for the audiophile it matters. When some reviews stating that some AMT tweeters are too harsch (usually reviewed with grilles off) ; leaving the grilles on might take some of that harschness away, so it might be an outcome somewhere.

Manufacturers mainly design speakers with the idea of having them without grilles as they also advertise them that way. Honestly I find 70s and 80s speakers without grilles mostly ugly with traces of glue or choices that are not optically designed well. Modern ones are definitely more boring with them being attached.

Despite that little difference in measurements they know that audio components need to come with family friendly attributes in order not to have animals enter the front bass port or children using the components as buttons to press.

Last edited:

I am led to believe many do just that

Reactions: AJM1981
I didn't intepret it in a negative way. I wrongly assumed grilles / grills was something like colour and color. But it is good to learn something new. :)
like it's only color if you are American....
But back to the thread. I take my grilles off for listening, not because it makes them sound better, I just like to see the woofers moving.. :)

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Didn't hear very big difference . I like better how they look without .
But I prefere the protection that the grilles offer , even against dust . I used my older speakers without .
The Elan 10 have a set of alternative grilles wich permanently expose the drivers .Looks very nice ,but never used them .And without the cloth ones the tweeter looks ugly

Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

With their magnetic grille fixings and real wood baffles, some speakers are OK visually.
I quite like to see the drivers - grilles back on when not in use.

The stringed grilles of Sonus Faber are among my favorites.

tumblr_inline_plj3xjKkaF1rtppaj_1280.jpg

just wonder how long they will survive with a cat at home.

I also like how they solved it for the Wharfedale Diamond 220s in some way.

ae867ea064e1b63c05e378a6f4f78b6c

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts