• Electrostatic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horn

• Other.. please specify below

• Total voters

AJM1981

For a long while I basically only knew domed tweeters as they were and still are the most common on the market.

My wharfedale Evo 4.2 uses an AMT (air motion transformer) tweeter and I really like it for its clarity. Given some reviews it seems that it is kind of a challenge to implement it in a good way, as they might sound a bit harsh. But Wharfedale implemented it well with the Evo and Elysian series.

To me a big plus of a soft dome tweeter over an Amt one is that treble produced by a domed tweeter fills the room at any angle. With an Amt tweeter the listener needs to be at the right height between the two speakers. When I am around the speakers and not sitting between them the natural brightness of the tweeters kind of disappears, this also applies when someone is walking past the speaker.

This is slightly whimsical but to me it is no dealbreaker. However, I can imagine it can be one. On a sidenote; I wonder if this is also a case when using ribbons or electrostatic ones.

Long story short

What is your favorite kind of tweeter? :)

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
For a long while I basically only knew domed tweeters as they were and still are the most common on the market.

My wharfedale Evo 4.2 uses an AMT (air motion transformer) tweeter and I really like it for its clarity. Given some reviews it seems that it is kind of a challenge to implement it in a good way, as they might sound a bit harsh. But Wharfedale implemented it well with the Evo and Elysian series.

To me a big plus of a soft dome tweeter over an Amt one is that treble produced by a domed tweeter fills the room at any angle. With an Amt tweeter the listener needs to be at the right height between the two speakers. When I am around the speakers and not sitting between them the natural brightness of the tweeters kind of disappears, this also applies when someone is walking past the speaker.

This is slightly whimsical but to me it is no dealbreaker. However, I can imagine it can be one. On a sidenote; I wonder if this is also a case when using ribbons or electrostatic ones.

Long story short

What is your favorite kind of tweeter? :)
My 70s Wharfedale Teesdales had isodynamic tweeters, whatever they were, and the treble was smooth. They looked like a ribbon tweeter behind a foam covering. Possibly a former Wharfedale engineer could explain it further

Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

z
My 70s Wharfedale Teesdales had isodynamic tweeters, whatever they were, and the treble was smooth. They looked like a ribbon tweeter behind a foam covering. Possibly a former Wharfedale engineer could explain it further

let me shamelessly quote from another forum

-quote-
"The key element of the RT1C-A is the membrane, which consists of Kapton Film with a pattern of Aluminum conductors. The conductors cover about 90% of the whole vibrating area."

So it's not a ribbon, which would be made from a conductor, it's more like the Magnapan type of diaphram, only with aluminum film instead of wire.

I've heard the Hi-Vi planars, they're pretty darn good (and big). Isodynamic might be a silly name, but the drivers are good.
-end quote-

As others have stated the choice of transducer is irrelevant, it is now all drivers perform together that counts.
My current speakers have ribbons but have no idea if they are preferable to anything else, obviously the designer thought so.
Each design has its pros and cons and depends a lot on integration and good crossover design.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts