Great Quality Vinyl

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
margetti:Btw, a big thanks for the thread Bretty... I had no real plans for the weekend but I've ended up having the most fabulous time listening to some of my existing collection and some new purchases off the back of this thread - nice one
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

I'm loving this thread. Hopefully this can be our version of 'What are you listening to?' and it will run and run.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
With its latest tracking weight of 2 kilo and stylus profile of a 6 inch nail, are you sure about buying a plough Bretts. I know peeps like them, but seriously mate dont. There are cheaper magnets out there that do a far better job.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:With its latest tracking weight of 2 kilo and stylus profile of a 6 inch nail, are you sure about buying a plough Bretts. I know peeps like them, but seriously mate dont. There are cheaper magnets out there that do a far better job.
Rubbish. What cheaper MMs do a better job at the price? I agree it isn't a dynavector or a Benz, but it gives more than a sniff at what an MC can do. You'll be amazed at how the sound opens up, and there's suddenly more space between the instruments.

The only caveat was that the DL 103 was intended for step-up amps, so an MC phono stage, depending on the model, may not do it justice.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Are you planning on performing your upgrades soon? Keep us in the loop, when you do it/them, ok?

Yep, that's the cdp... bit of a long story but got it through an insurance claim on an Arcam cdp that didn't make the journey over from NZ... Sonneteer - good English brand - wish I could afford their amps!

Upgrades... Ortofon Blue stylus before the end of the year, without a doubt (was close to buying it this month but spent the money on vinyl instead). Then a new phono stage - Christmas present if I can sneak the Blue stylus in before then
emotion-1.gif

Phono stage needs a lot of research though - not a clue where to start, seems there are quite a few choices around the £300 (second-hand) mark...

After that am thinking of an external PSU for the TT, but have read mixed comments on whether it's worth it or not (some say the best upgrade for the money, others say it makes little difference!)

A

Anonymous

Coincidence, purely. Just whiling away the time before to heading into town for yet another evening I probably can't afford!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:margetti:bretty:

floyd droid:Your enthusiasm for this propper music mullarky makes a fun read Bretty. Just remember to fire up your ceedee player now and again just to make sure it reads the frisser,like mine dosnt !!,lol.

Haha! Will do!

Time for a weird admission...

I was having fellings of almost guilt for not playing the beloved Rotel CDP, and worrying that because I love the sound of Vinyl so much that I wouldn't be able to listen to my CDP again. I know, FREAK, right? Probably an overshare, but, Meh, who cares!

Aaaanyhoo, I played the Rotel quite a bit during the week, sort of expecting to be disappointed, but I wasn't at all. It's still a stonkingly good sound. As mitch is getting to find out, it's about as analogue as you can get in a CDP for the detail that it chucks out. So, the Rotel won't be getting relegated to the cupboard under the stairs, it'll live below the Gyro (when it eventually turns up. But that's another story) for the foreseeable future.

I know what you mean! My CDP doesn't get half the attention it used to, but when I do put it on I'm not disappointed... which is as is should be - it retails at 3 times what I've spent on my vinyl setup... funnily enough the cdp just wins out at present because its more laid back (makes for a much easier listen over a long listening session). But I reckon upgrading the stylus to a Blue, and moving up to the next level of phono stage (around the £300 second-hand mark) and my vinyl system will simply annihilate the cdp...

I had to google your CDP. If it's the one below, then well done you, cos it's a beaut:

emotion-1.gif

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Coincidence, purely. Just whiling away the time before to heading into town for yet another evening I probably can't afford!

Hee hee, and i was just being a devil, for a change. Anyways at least it hasnt turned into a typical 'whatsahifi' barny. Have a good time.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The choice of cartridge is a minefield. It's hard to know with any conviction what way to go.

I know the Ortofons are very popular on here and I've been told that they are the equal of MC carts. So I then think I may go for the Blue. But, then there's another camp that think that the Ortofons are pretty poo and overly bright, and that puts me off.

On the Denon DL-103, the opinions are equally polarised. It's either pound-for-pound, the best MC you can get, or it's a dinosaur that has been surpassed and should be avoided.

My little noggin is confused! It's so difficult because it's a decision that has to be made purely on second hand knowledge, and as much as I respect everyones opinion there's no way of knowing if I will like the same sound as they do.

Mitch, I know that you use the Denon. What are the characteristics of the sound?

Also, if I may open this up a wee bit, let's say i'm definitely going for MC. What other carts should I consider? Max price £300.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ok, regs the Denon. Despite what you will read in mags etc,as its a fairly low compliance cart, to get the best out of it you need a highish mass arm, which you aint got or will be getting. Yip it will work ok but its still a plough, imo, before a war breaks out and spoils your thread. Just my opinion guys ok
emotion-2.gif
. So 300 squid. Dyna 10x5, high output coil, kicks butt, good little cart. Sumiko evo, another high output,nice little cart. Audio Tech, F3. 200 quid ish, been around a while, tracks well,digs out plenty of detail, little on the bright side but shouldnt be a problem with the gyro. But if i wuz you Bretts,wait until you get your mich up and running, plus if you go for a SME ( well why not eh ) and save your pennies for something that will do it all justice. Going by what music you are into, and if you just have to buy a coil, then i would go for the dyna. Dont forget that whatever,a.n.other uses, it will sound different in their system. Carts are pot luck mate, you cant test drive the suckers.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Just match the cart with the arm (mass wise) and take your pick. For me the dynavector 10x5 and sumiko evo should be on the list of possibilities.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty:
margetti:Btw, a big thanks for the thread Bretty... I had no real plans for the weekend but I've ended up having the most fabulous time listening to some of my existing collection and some new purchases off the back of this thread - nice one
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

I'm loving this thread. Hopefully this can be our version of 'What are you listening to?' and it will run and run.

Check out the Naim forum and see how long "What Are You Listening To" type threads run for. For ever!

Actually I find them a great source of ideas for what to try next, and combined with Spotify I've had my best ever year I reckon for listening to new and old music. For example John Grant's "Queen Of Denmark". I'd never heard of him or the album before reading the Naim forum but there was quite a buzz and I took it from there. Best album I've heard this year without doubt.

Anyway I'm listening to this at the moment on the black stuff..

51Cj%2BKMiicL._SS500_.jpg

Then its bed time.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yep, John Grant's Queen Of Denmark is great, isn't it. For some reason I went for the vinyl version, against my usual anti-new vinyl policy, and luckily it's a good pressing. Wonderful sounds that evoke all those "not-cool then, but really quite okay now" acts like Bread, Justin Hayward and The Carpenters.

They don't really sound too similar to the Queen Of Denmark album but it's definitely worth investigating his old band, The Czars and Midlake too. The latter approached the down-on-his-luck Grant offering to play and record what became the QofD album.

A

Anonymous

Dynavector or Benz would be my choices. If possible as high up the range as you can afford. Ortofon also make some excellent moving coils, but they can be too analytical for some tastes.

I heard the Sumiko briefly in my local record shop on their SL1200, and it seemed pretty good.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I know that Dynavector were used in the design process of my phono stage, so that could be the way to go.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I know that Dynavector were used in the design process of my phono stage, so that could be the way to go.

One thing you can be sure of when trying to buy a cartridge is that you will probably end up in the 'Looney Bin' or, at the very least, dribbling and muttering in a corner somewhere.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

One thing you can be sure of when trying to buy a cartridge is that you will probably end up in the 'Looney Bin' or, at the very least, dribbling and muttering in a corner somewhere.

I can believe it, Mitch!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I just spot this thread, great idea! The biggest down fall of using a turntable is them paper thin Vinyl that produce in the early 90's! Most of my collection are from 1965 - 1980, where the recording sound the most organic before being distroy by digital remaster in the later years.

Linda-Ronstadt-Simple-Dreams-498986.jpg
Linda Ronstadt simple dreams (The first time I ever heard how analog can make the silver disc sound thin and bright)

lrhi3010.jpg
The drum slam on "Dreams" make my eyes water on my system. The Chain's bass texture and cab's hum plus the layers upon layers on harmony got my hair up all over, superb album and great recording.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
DIB:Thaiman:

The price!!! The price....The god damm price
emotion-12.gif

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=901354

Go on, you know your Systemdek 3D deserves it
emotion-21.gif

A few weeks ago I was looking at buying some old 90's vinyl of Porcupine Tree. Had a trawl round Ebay and the Signify album was going for about £240.00. Madness.

Madness album are normally cheap!
emotion-5.gif
, Joking aside, no one should need to pay £240 for any Vinly no matter what's on it! Porcupine tree is a real good band though, kinna jazzy rock with a bit of blues and new world mix in.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
gbhsi1:Just bought myself Valentyne Suite by Colosseum for £19.95- great album :)

Now that is a class album. Takes me back to my schooldays and trenchcoats etc.

TRENDING THREADS