Great Quality Vinyl

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
gbhsi1:Just bought myself Valentyne Suite by Colosseum for £19.95- great album :)

Now that is a class album. Takes me back to my schooldays and trenchcoats etc.

It's great- they don't make bands like they used to :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Lol, neat gb, i like it
emotion-11.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
gbhsi1:DIB:

gbhsi1:Just bought myself Valentyne Suite by Colosseum for £19.95- great album :)

Now that is a class album. Takes me back to my schooldays and trenchcoats etc.

It's great- they don't make bands like they used to :)

Funnily enough , I listened to Electric Savage by Colosseum II the other night for the first time in probably 20 years . I know they weren't the same bands but I did rather enjoy it .

Nick

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
DIB:margetti:DIB:
If you ever find a copy on the Sheffield Lab label going cheap,I 'd buy it just to see how good vinyl really can be.

Just picked up a copy off ebay... grrr these threads and a couple of glasses of red wine
emotion-18.gif

Certainly seems to get rated - read enough to click "buy now" at least
emotion-2.gif

Nice one, not the greatest songs as I say but the sound is superb if you follow my drift.

I think your description is spot on - fantastic sound, but yes, some of the songs aren't exactly on the all time classics list for sure. Still, I think it will get more than the odd listen...
emotion-1.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
71782_1570075764551_1015178106_1586932_2758725_n.jpg

Bjork -'Vespertine'. DMM remaster.

I've had this on constantly for the last three hours, since I got it. I can't really see how a vinyl pressing can get any better than this. On CD, the album was beautiful, but this version takes it up a notch. The eerie soundscape is not only wide, but seems to surround you. Also, there's more detail here than on the CD, both in low level instrumentation and in Bjork's vocals. On some tracks, the extra detail in her voice seems to make the whole tone of her voice change. Also, the Discs have a CD-rivalling low noise floor and a complete lack of hiss and pop.

Love it.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Luther Vandross - 'The Night I fell In Love'.

Great recording. Deep, funky bass and Luther's superb voice is in great form.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I was about to pull the trigger and get 30th anniversary 'Dark Side Of The Moon', when I saw this on E-bay:

'Wish You Were Here'. Original 1975 pressing. This is so good, for both the quality of the songs and the SQ. The record was dirty, and full of crackles, but after a clean, it's faultless. The stereo imaging on this is top-notch (Welcome To The Machine is a brilliant example).

I also bought 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder', but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope it's as good as this.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:

Wow i must get these bretts ,lol.

Did you really have to remind me how long ago it was when i bought WYWH
emotion-5.gif

Yeah, sorry, that was a typo. I meant it was the original 1992 pressing.
emotion-5.gif

This turned up yesterday:

emotion-1.gif

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

emotion-5.gif

Hee hee,thats more like it mate. Dont forget 'pros and cons' bretts. And if you are tempted by the Division Bell be careful. The original fetches a fair few punts, and the one to get because but there are Blue/ Red vinyl re-issues or whathaveyou ( and wherever they originated from, gawd knows ) out there. They are rank !!, trust me do not buy.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:bretty:
emotion-5.gif

Hee hee,thats more like it mate. Dont forget 'pros and cons' bretts. And if you are tempted by the Division Bell be careful. The original fetches a fair few punts, and the one to get because but there are Blue/ Red vinyl re-issues or whathaveyou ( and wherever they originated from, gawd knows ) out there. They are rank !!, trust me do not buy.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. I'd decided to give 'The division Bell' a swerve, when I saw them going for £50+ on E-bay. I like it, but I don't £50 like it.

I missed out on the 1973 MFSL remaster of DSOTM last night. Somebody out-sniped me. and I missed out by .50p. It went for £28.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
If thats the case you will be giving Pulse no thought at all, it fetches stupid money. TBH Delicate Sound swamps it. Pulse is vastly overproduced and its basically "hey listen to me im Dave Gilmour". Yup i have it but along with all my Floyd albums they hardly ever see daylight these days.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51Y3ww1iRNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jeff Buckley - Grace.

A fantastic modern pressing (2010). Amazon are calling it the Collectors Edition, but I don't know if that's correct. It doesn't seem to be a limited edition. It's an American import and it just sounds great. It beats every CD version that I have heard. His voice sounds so natural and you get a real sence of the space that the recording was made in. Brilliant seperation between the instruments, great dynamics and not even a hint of crackle or surface noise.

HERE it is, if anyone is interested in buying.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty: The drums on 'Addicted to Love' have so much punch and snap.

My finest hour! Pub quiz music round, name the song from the intro, the quizmaster played ONE drum beat from the start of Addicted to Love and I got it bang on, only person in the room to get it.

I've never been so proud. Or smug!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Going against my normal rules of not buying new releases on vinyl, mainly because of the cost compared to CD, I took delivery of this brand new new double LP a few days ago..

61zNF5kEFCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This new vinyl is only £8.99 from HMV ( + free del) same price as the CD.

I must say I'm really impressed with the quality of the vinyl. Nice and thick, 180g presumably, very flat, and the best part not one single pop, crackle, hiss etc. Silent as can be. Having a brand spanking new stylus obviously helps, but I've also bought a brand new Muddy waters LP (Folk Singer) and that suffers from a little bit of background noise, but not to the detriment of the overall sound mind.

Oh, and the actual music is pretty good too! Has had mixed reviews but I reckon its worth the money and will get played plenty.

Joe Bonamassa is the man.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
bretty:
51Y3ww1iRNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jeff Buckley - Grace.

A fantastic modern pressing (2010). Amazon are calling it the Collectors Edition, but I don't know if that's correct. It doesn't seem to be a limited edition. It's an American import and it just sounds great. It beats every CD version that I have heard. His voice sounds so natural and you get a real sence of the space that the recording was made in. Brilliant seperation between the instruments, great dynamics and not even a hint of crackle or surface noise.

That Amazon link says it's on Music On Vinyl who are a Dutch reissue label.

If it is the new MOV reissue it's cheaper here excl. postage though.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Amyl Right Mate:bretty:

Jeff Buckley - Grace.

That Amazon link says it's on Music On Vinyl who are a Dutch reissue label.

If it is the new MOV reissue it's cheaper here excl. postage though.

Oh, it's Dutch? My mistake. It is the Music On Vinyl version.

That's a great price, mate. Even if they chuck a fiver on for postage it's still cheaper than Amazon. Unlike Amazon to be off the pace, price-wise.

EDIT: It's only £1.90 for p&p. So, that's a fiver cheaper than Amazon. Brilliant find Amyl.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
One of those albums that just about everyone in the world has already. I didn't realise how good this sounded til I bought it on vinyl, a little while ago. There's so much low level detail present on this disc that was inaudible to me before. If you have a copy, check out 'Billie Jean' and hear Michael getting so into the song that he does little finger clicks as he's singing.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Bretty ,

You're a splendid chap and I hate to offend you , but I catergorically refuse to put my wife's copy of Thriller on my turntable . For a start she would think I've completely lost it as she knows my opinion of MJ and secondly I don't suppose it would last to the end of the first track before it was taken off . However , I shall be playing my newly arrived ( finally) copy of Vespertine , and hope that it is as good as you say it is .

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad:

Bretty ,

You're a splendid chap and I hate to offend you , but I catergorically refuse to put my wife's copy of Thriller on my turntable . For a start she would think I've completely lost it as she knows my opinion of MJ and secondly I don't suppose it would last to the end of the first track before it was taken off . However , I shall be playing my newly arrived ( finally) copy of Vespertine , and hope that it is as good as you say it is .

Nick

Oh, go on! Just put 'Billie Jean' on, to hear the finger clicks, then, re-banish it forevermore.
emotion-1.gif

'Vespertine' is beautiful, and is still getting loads of playtime on my TT. Hope you like it, too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts