Great Quality Vinyl

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Morning all,

As you all know, i've been on a vinyl buying frenzy for the last couple of weeks. I've accumulated 60-odd discs, and I thought i'd pass on a couple of the goodies that i've bought, that have really great SQ.

51Cj%2BKMiicL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tanita Tikaram - Ancient Heart.

51pfmBb7sCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night. Rumours is equally good.

51lS7QTIGIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

AND,

51mab85DU1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The original 1968 and 1970 pressings, respectively. I've listened to The Doors since I was 14, 20 years ago, and have all thier stuff on CD. I've never heard them sound like they do on these records. So much detail is present in Jim's voice that it's a real 'In the room' moment (don't you hate these bloody audiophile cliches? I do. Gotta find other ways of putting stuff across!).

But, the daddy of them all, so far, without question, has been:

41fM9XV81BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It sounds brilliant, and dead quiet. I had to check that I had the amp on the right input when I put the needle down, because there was nothing. You know the first part of the vinyl, before the first track always has pops and crackles? Not this disc. No pops, crackles or hissing. The same went for the end of each side.

That's my finds, so far. Over to you boys. What gems have you got to share?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Tango In The Night is one of my 50p car boot bargains. One of those records that when I put it on I look at my 13 year old speakers and think "omg, my humble system can do that!
emotion-2.gif
)

Some other favourites that play really well are (in no particular order) ...

41Ayb57v9hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51NKOyQy5-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41r3RAqy2DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51MvEYvcOZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61t7weDa2CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

415Ezr1lavL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...and anything by Pink Floyd
emotion-1.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty:
Morning all,

As you all know, i've been on a vinyl buying frenzy for the last couple of weeks. I've accumulated 60-odd discs, and I thought i'd pass on a couple of the goodies that i've bought, that have really great SQ.

I love that album, I bought it when it first came out back in the 80's and not played it for ages. I'm going to dig it out, clean it up and give it a spin.

Quality wise, both Steely Dan's Aja and Greatest Hits (Double LP) are top notch and are made for a good system.

A

Anonymous

I got 'Will the Wolf Survive' by Los Lobos for 99p in my local charity shop, hands down my favourite vinyl makes me dance every time it goes on! (And it sounds great, it had never been played)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
There's some good stuff being posted, fellas. Keep 'em coming. I'm going to keep an eye out for the BB king live album. Also, thanks for the tip 'bout Floyd. I can't believe I hadn't thought of them. I bet 'Dark Side Of The Moon' is astounding on vinyl.

I've just got this today:

Pearl Jam - 'Vitalogy'. I paid more than I like to (£37), but the gatefold version is pretty rare, and it is mint, so I made an exception. I bought the whole album for one track, NothingMan, which sounds great on cd so I wanted to know what it's like on vinyl. It's sooo good. I got goosebumps at the end of the track, when Eddie Vedder really gives it some.

A

Anonymous

I love Dark Side Of The Moon, I have a first pressing which sounds better than the SACD version (to me anyway)

My american import Songs For The Deaf by QOTSA also sounds great and its red vinyl!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree on the dire Straits album also really good one is Dire Staits Love over Gold, excellent pressing.

another one is Beverly Craven

Really quite lucky here in Portsmouth have a great little record shop called Sweet Memories which has a bargain back room £2 eachor 10 LP's for £10. Fantastic most are really good copies, the shop just has better ones for sale, sometimes the only "damage" is to the sleeve and the discs are mint. Regularly frequent there.

And they have a double Keith Monks cleaning machine which has strangly hypnotic effects on me.

Glad to see vinyl is making the headlines again as the superior sound reproducer.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Blast Tyrant:
I love Dark Side Of The Moon, I have a first pressing which sounds better than the SACD version (to me anyway)

My american import Songs For The Deaf by QOTSA also sounds great and its red vinyl!!

First pressings usualy are.

Bretty, what do you want, something that makes you go OMG even though it isnt your cup of tea, or general reccs that old timers like me know to be a good un. Dont fall into the 180gm/Audiofool pressings trap btw, its no guarantee that they are any cop, some of them out there are rank.

Heres one for ya, Pros and cons of hitchhiking. Roger Waters, truly stunning pressing. Floyds Final Cut is another stonker.

Maybe there is room in this section for a 'playing today' section, so peeps can post it up with their comments. Yip i know there is the 'what are you listening to' section elsewhere, but this would be strictly for vinyl
emotion-2.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Morning all,

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night. Rumours is equally good.

AND,

The original 1968 and 1970 pressings, respectively. I've listened to The Doors since I was 14, 20 years ago, and have all thier stuff on CD. I've never heard them sound like they do on these records. So much detail is present in Jim's voice that it's a real 'In the room' moment (don't you hate these bloody audiophile cliches? I do. Gotta find other ways of putting stuff across!).

But, the daddy of them all, so far, without question, has been:

It sounds brilliant, and dead quiet. I had to check that I had the amp on the right input when I put the needle down, because there was nothing. You know the first part of the vinyl, before the first track always has pops and crackles? Not this disc. No pops, crackles or hissing. The same went for the end of each side.

That's my finds, so far. Over to you boys. What gems have you got to share?
I would have to say Black Sabbath ''we sold our souls to rock & roll''- it's an absolute cracker to listen to & it's my girlfriends which she bought in 1975! the year I was born (just coincidence of course unless you are superstitious) The other two I can think of is Alan Parsons project (which has a scratch now...damn it!!!!) & the Who's ''who's next'' on classic audiophile 200gm pressings. There are more but my favourite has to be the black sabbath! :)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:Blast Tyrant:

Bretty, what do you want, something that makes you go OMG even though it isnt your cup of tea, or general reccs that old timers like me know to be a good un. Dont fall into the 180gm/Audiofool pressings trap btw, its no guarantee that they are any cop, some of them out there are rank.

Heres one for ya, Pros and cons of hitchhiking. Roger Waters, truly stunning pressing. Floyds Final Cut is another stonker.

Maybe there is room in this section for a 'playing today' section, so peeps can post it up with their comments. Yip i know there is the 'what are you listening to' section elsewhere, but this would be strictly for vinyl
emotion-2.gif

I second your last suggestion! great idea :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Blast Tyrant:

emotion-2.gif

Well, it really has to be a bit of both: good tunes and great SQ. If it's just great SQ and i'm not feeling the tunes, then it'll get played once and i'll go 'WOW, that's sounds so real', and it won't get played again.

I already have fallen for the 180g re-issues trick. The cure - 'Disintegration'. Terrible. I won't do that again, i'll stick to the oldies.

I've never had any of Water's solo stuff. I'm a big Floyd fan, so I should, really. He's now added to the 'To Get' list. Thanks, FD.

Hopefully this thread will run for a while, i'm loving getting the recs.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
DIB:bretty:

Morning all,

I love that album, I bought it when it first came out back in the 80's and not played it for ages. I'm going to dig it out, clean it up and give it a spin.

Quality wise, both Steely Dan's Aja and Greatest Hits (Double LP) are top notch and are made for a good system.

Ooh, Steeley Dan. I haven't got any of them. Good Call!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:

Agree on the dire Straits album also really good one is Dire Staits Love over Gold, excellent pressing.

Really quite lucky here in Portsmouth have a great little record shop called Sweet Memories which has a bargain back room £2 eachor 10 LP's for £10. Fantastic most are really good copies, the shop just has better ones for sale, sometimes the only "damage" is to the sleeve and the discs are mint. Regularly frequent there.

And they have a double Keith Monks cleaning machine which has strangly hypnotic effects on me.

Glad to see vinyl is making the headlines again as the superior sound reproducer.

10 for a tenner is great. You can't ask for more than that. Personally, I dan't care too much what the sleeves look like, especially on the old stuff. I find the damage makes it interesting and reminds me of it's age.

We have two shops in town, one new one that does a bargain bin for a quid each, but i've bought a couple and the disc quality is rubbish. I threw one away, it was so bad. The other shop does five for a tenner, and I haven't had a bad disc yet.

Mitch, have yoiu been to the new shop yet? It opened a few months ago. It's in the Old Town.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Setting aside that Mr duncan appears not to be all that keen on Dire Straits, all of their albums are cracking pressings bretty.

Massive attacks Heligoland is a brilliant example of how good vinyl can be if done properly. Another of those 'did i lower the arm' albums.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:True Blue:

10 for a tenner is great. You can't ask for more than that. Personally, I dan't care too much what the sleeves look like, especially on the old stuff. I find the damage makes it interesting and reminds me of it's age.

We have two shops in town, one new one that does a bargain bin for a quid each, but i've bought a couple and the disc quality is rubbish. I threw one away, it was so bad. The other shop does five for a tenner, and I haven't had a bad disc yet.

Mitch, have yoiu been to the new shop yet? It opened a few months ago. It's in the Old Town.

The only reason I haven't is that according to his 'rival' he comes in and buys his quid rejects and flogs them on for for four.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
From the state of the two records that I bought, I reckon 'Lock-Up' is probably on the money. He does have some nice stuff at the Old Town place, but he wants proper money. I think i'll be sticking with 'Lock Up'.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Just been to my local one-man-band vinyl shop (sadly closing at the end of the month after 21 years in business) and bought the following -

The Who - Quadraphenia (lovely gatefold with photo booklet inside)

Roger Waters - Radio KAOS

Steel Dan - Greatest Hits (double album)

Gipsy Kings - Gipsy Kings (a request from the OH who mocked me when I first bought my TT!
emotion-1.gif
)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
margetti:
Just been to my local one-man-band vinyl shop (sadly closing at the end of the month after 21 years in business) and bought the following -

Gipsy Kings - Gipsy Kings (a request from the OH who mocked me when I first bought my TT!
emotion-1.gif
)

Nice one. Have you got a good night of listening ahead of you, then? A bottle of vino, perchance?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:From the state of the two records that I bought, I reckon 'Lock-Up' is probably on the money. He does have some nice stuff at the Old Town place, but he wants proper money. I think i'll be sticking with 'Lock Up'.
Ok I've just re-read my bit and I think I confused myself, I did mean the 'other' guy buys Lock-ups rejects (not too sure it came out that way)
emotion-42.gif

Aannnyway...not buying at the moment due to sad farewell of deck so I don't want to rub salt into the wounds! I am on a course of Play.com CD cheapies to make me feel a bit better to play on my nice new spinner
emotion-5.gif
and awaiting the imminent delivery of nice new DAC

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:Ok I've just re-read my bit and I think I confused myself, I did mean the 'other' guy buys Lock-ups rejects (not too sure it came out that way)
emotion-42.gif

Aannnyway...not buying at the moment due to sad farewell of deck so I don't want to rub salt into the wounds! I am on a course of Play.com CD cheapies to make me feel a bit better to play on my nice new spinner
emotion-5.gif
and awaiting the imminent delivery of nice new DAC

You were clear, mate. I got ya. I meant to ask how you're finding the '991?

Oh, by the way, try amazon marketplace for cds. It's where I buy, well used to buy now, all mine!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
bretty:margetti:

emotion-1.gif
)

Nice one. Have you got a good night of listening ahead of you, then? A bottle of vino, perchance?

Indeedy
emotion-1.gif

Just listening to Steely Dan right now - very good call DIB
emotion-21.gif

Then dinner and, yes, as it so happens
emotion-5.gif
, some Burgundy and a few more tracks!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Alls good so far Bretty, now I've changed the cable - there was just too much detail coming through that it was really fatigueing - it's calmed down now so I can actually enjoy the detail presented in a nice calm soundstage (biggest I've heard from CD). The DAC that's coming is really for the streamer but I might hook it up to the Rotel just to have a look see.

The wife is going out soon so I'll sneak Talking Heads on while she's not looking
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:
Alls good so far Bretty, now I've changed the cable - there was just too much detail coming through that it was really fatigueing - it's calmed down now so I can actually enjoy the detail presented in a nice calm soundstage (biggest I've heard from CD). The DAC that's coming is really for the streamer but I might hook it up to the Rotel just to have a look see.

The wife is going out soon so I'll sneak Talking Heads on while she's not looking
emotion-2.gif

Talking Heads! How could I have forgotten 'bout them?! That's going on the 'Go Buy' list.

I'm glad you're enjoying the 991, mate. I told you it was detailed, didn't I? I've not heard a player to match it for detail retrieval.

Anyway, gotta go pick up the girlie. Have a great night, everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts