Great Quality Vinyl

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
1038.jpg

Dug this out last night - superb sound quality... and a fun album.

Erm, that's not very informative!

I know this is a "great quality vinyl" thread but I can warn people off Hot Chip's We Have Remixes EP? Oh dear, what a dreadful pressing, distorted, crosstalk between channels, skips and jumps, really disappointed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad:You're a splendid chap and I hate to offend you , but I catergorically refuse to put my wife's copy of Thriller on my turntable . For a start she would think I've completely lost it as she knows my opinion of MJ and secondly I don't suppose it would last to the end of the first track before it was taken off . However , I shall be playing my newly arrived ( finally) copy of Vespertine , and hope that it is as good as you say it is .

Nick

The snobbery thread is over there --->

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
61h-GGoyboL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Paramore - 'Riot!'

A great modern pressing. The drums on the vinyl version are more realistic than on the cd version and Haley's voice sounds brilliant. No crackles or pops.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - ' I See A Darkness'.

First off, I have to say that there is a repeated 'pop' for about ten seconds at the start of one of the tracks, which seems to be a flaw in the mastering, as I've had three different discs from 'Amazon' and they've all had the same thing. Even so, it doesn't stop me putting it in the 'Great Quality Vinyl' thread, because, 'pops' aside, it sounds so bloody good.

I've had this album on CD for years and have loved it, but this vinyl recording truly unleashes the emotion in Billy's voice. It's so, so real. I'll freely admit that, when I played the title track on this vinyl for the first time, I blubbed like a girl. And this is a track that i've heard hundreds of times before on CD, without an emotional outburst!

I think, out of the records that i've bought, it's got to the album that has had the most difference between CD and Vinyl versions.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone ever compared some of the earlier MFSL releases with the later ones? Some interesting differences between the 80s releases on a thinner super vinyl (of about 120g I think) and some of the much thicker and later 200g and then 180g releases.

If I was picking a standard release though for sound quality - as cliche as it might be on these releases - the plum/red pressings of Led Zepplein I/II/III/IV are fantastic
emotion-11.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
There's definitely some great modern pressings about. I've bought two more this week:

Alicia keys - Element of Freedom. Limited Edition purple vinyl double LP.

Her vocals on vinyl are far superior to the CD version. It picks out extra detail in her voice that CD seems to miss.

A bargain, too. £9.99 from HMV

Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion. Remastered re-issue.

This is another album that i've had for donkey's on CD (since it's original release. '93, I think) so am really familiar with. It's another great pressing. The greatest difference between the vinyl and CD is the amount of air around the instruments. It's blummin massive on the vinyl. I think i'd have to say it's the best vinyl I've heard so far, in that respect. Add on to that the fact there's not a 'pop' or 'crackle' on the whole thing and you've got a brilliant record.

Another bargain: £10.99 from HMV, again.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
There's definitely some great modern pressings about. I've bought two more this week:

Alicia keys - Element of Freedom. Limited Edition purple vinyl double LP.

Her vocals on vinyl are far superior to the CD version. It picks out extra detail in her voice that CD seems to miss.

A bargain, too. £9.99 from HMV

This is another album that i've had for donkey's on CD (since it's original release. '93, I think) so am really familiar with. It's another great pressing. The greatest difference between the vinyl and CD is the amount of air around the instruments. It's blummin massive on the vinyl. I think i'd have to say it's the best vinyl I've heard so far, in that respect. Add on to that the fact there's not a 'pop' or 'crackle' on the whole thing and you've got a brilliant record.

have both versions myself and I have to agree that the CD doesn't quite do it for me like the vinyl

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

This is another album that i've had for donkey's on CD (since it's original release. '93, I think)

Get out! It's never 17 years ago is it? Lordy, I guess it might be...

so am really familiar with. It's another great pressing. The greatest difference between the vinyl and CD is the amount of air around the instruments. It's blummin massive on the vinyl. I think i'd have to say it's the best vinyl I've heard so far, in that respect. Add on to that the fact there's not a 'pop' or 'crackle' on the whole thing and you've got a brilliant record.

Is this a recent release do you know?

Online?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
0000012b64fa72d0cbb4eeca007f000000000001.BOWIE-STATION.jpg

51h-VUqJhCL._SS500_.jpg

51eyKMbFmoL._SS500_.jpg

61hunJYr8tL._SS400_.jpg

While growing up with/collecting vinyl, the above were my standouts because they all seemed to have more mid-range texture, detail and separation compared to anything else, especially Songs in the Key of Life.

All still sound good today, IMHO
emotion-1.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Mitch: Great minds think alike, eh?

The_lhc: Yeah, unbelievably it's 17 years old. You know you're getting old when the music that came out in your teens is called 'classic'. I heard a music channel refer to Pearl Jam 'Ten' as such, a wee while back.

I got 'Songs of Faith....' online. It's the 2007 re-issue.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:
0000012b64fa72d0cbb4eeca007f000000000001.BOWIE-STATION.jpg
51h-VUqJhCL._SS500_.jpg
51eyKMbFmoL._SS500_.jpg
61hunJYr8tL._SS400_.jpg
As a wee lad growing up with vinyl, the above were my standouts because they all seemed to have more mid-range texture, detail and separation compared to anything else, especially Songs in the Key of Life.All still sound good today, IMHO
emotion-1.gif

I really want some Stevie Wonder on vinyl. I haven't heard 'Songs in the key of life'. Is it as good as 'Talking Book', do you think?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
6th.replicant:
51eyKMbFmoL._SS500_.jpg

the above were my standouts because they all seemed to have more mid-range texture, detail and separation compared to anything else, especially Songs in the Key of Life.

I really want some Stevie Wonder on vinyl. I haven't heard 'Songs in the key of life'. Is it as good as 'Talking Book', do you think?

IMHO, Songs In The Key Of Life is one of his best, certainly up there with Talking Book and Innervisions.

Have a listen to Songs' on Spotify, as soon as the bass synth' and drums/percussion kick-in after 29secs of track-1, Love's In Need Of Love Today, I'm always hooked. As well as being full of great music, it's beautifully recorded/mastered/mixed - it sounds luscious.

Other highlights: Sir Duke, I Wish, Pastime Paradise, Isn't She Lovely, Black Man, Ngiculela-Es Una Historia..., As, Another Star. As a vinyl release, it's a double-LP, with a bonus 7in EP (also has good tunes: Ebony Eyes and All Day Sucker). Actually, TBH, I'm not sure if the EP/extra tracks are on a 7in these days, might be on the main 12 inchers?? (Bought my copy when it was first released, which was in, er, 1976
emotion-7.gif
)

Songs is also great for a game of 'spot the sample' - it must be one of the most plundered albums by rap and hip-hop artists, ever. And without Songs', Jamiroquai wouldn't have had a career - but don't let that put you off.

Songs' is a must-have IMHO
emotion-1.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:bretty:
6th.replicant:
51eyKMbFmoL._SS500_.jpg
the above were my standouts because they all seemed to have more mid-range texture, detail and separation compared to anything else, especially Songs in the Key of Life.

IMHO, Songs In The Key Of Life is one of his best, certainly up there with Talking Book and Innervisions.Have a listen to Songs' on Spotify, as soon as the bass synth' and drums/percussion kick-in after 29secs of track-1, Love's In Need Of Love Today, I'm always hooked. As well as being full of great music, it's beautifully recorded/mastered/mixed - it sounds luscious.Other highlights: Sir Duke, I Wish, Pastime Paradise, Isn't She Lovely, Black Man, Ngiculela-Es Una Historia..., As, Another Star. As a vinyl release, it's a double-LP, with a bonus 7in EP (also has good tunes: Ebony Eyes and All Day Sucker). Actually, TBH, I'm not sure if the EP/extra tracks are on a 7in these days, might be on the main 12 inchers?? (Bought my copy when it was first released, which was in, er, 1976
emotion-7.gif
)Songs is also great for a game of 'spot the sample' - it must be one of the most plundered albums by rap and hip-hop artists, ever. And without Songs', Jamiroquai wouldn't have had a career - but don't let that put you off. Songs' is a must-have IMHO
emotion-1.gif

Sold! Off to e-bay I trot, then. Thanks, matey.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Sting - The Soul Cages

I wasn't expecting much in the way of SQ, because the vinyl is so thin that it wobbles in your hand when you hold it. But, it's really good. Very quiet, lots of detail and good dynamics. Not bad for a quid!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:
51h-VUqJhCL._SS500_.jpg

Is that one of the reissues 6th? I keep thinking I should get some of those but they always seems a little pricey (I think Rooster Records in Exeter wants nearly 20 quid for each album) considering I'm only a mild fan of them. Are they that good, quality wise?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:6th.replicant:
51h-VUqJhCL._SS500_.jpg

Is that one of the reissues 6th? I keep thinking I should get some of those but they always seems a little pricey (I think Rooster Records in Exeter wants nearly 20 quid for each album) considering I'm only a mild fan of them. Are they that good, quality wise?
Sorry, dunno, it's a random cover that I found on Google Images.

Mine's an original, bought when it was first released. As mentioned, back in the day it was one of my standouts re sound quality/production/mixing/mastering etc before I ever actually realised or appreciated why - the naivety of youth, eh? Still sounds mighty fine today, IMHO.

I assume the new 'uns will sound even better, simply 'cos they're now pressed on virgin vinyl, not the re-cycled wafer-thin tat used in the old days.

New, re-mastered The Man Machine LPs for c. £12, via Amazon, here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002LCOQU0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1293129940&sr=1-2&condition=new

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Re: the recent-ish Kraftwerk vinyl re-issues, I can report that they sound superb. I've got four of the recent ones and six of the originals. Two - Man Machine and Electric Cafe - I own twice over.

I've got to say their isn't much in it, between the old and the new pressings. They all sound fantastic. My current faves are the seemingly least critically acclaimed, namely, Electric Cafe and Tour De France Soundtracks. In fact, the original version of Telephone Call on Electric Cafe, is one of my all-time favourite pieces of music. (You get two versions on the newer issue for some reason).

Other recent vinyl delights:

1) Lloyd Cole LP - his first sans The Commotions (1989). Sounds great. Fantastic openness to the sonics!!

2) 67-70 - The Beatles. One of my first ever vinyl purchases, circa 1973(?). Dug it out to see what it would sound like nearly 40 years on, and it's in great nick. Played to death for a decade or so, then neglected, but still sounds great despite obvious wear & tear.

3) We Are Reasonable People - Warp compilation from a few years ago. Great pressing, great Plone track too.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:
emotion-21.gif

Slightly off-vinyl-topic, but Kraftwerk-related - do you have any of Karl Bartos's solo stuff? I have Communication, which is great, but can't find any of the earlier albums.

Just one solo Karl Bartos, and it's Electric Music (1999), on CD. Loved it at the time, but haven't played it in yonks.

The second Electronic album, Raise The Pressure, (1996), features Herr Bartos on several tracks, and it's worth investigating, if you haven't already got it. And that's it, for me.

What's Communication like?

Probably my favourite vinyl purchase of the last year though, has to be the Neu box set, a true work of art. Looks, plays, sounds fantastic.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:6th.replicant:
emotion-21.gif

Slightly off-vinyl-topic, but Kraftwerk-related - do you have any of Karl Bartos's solo stuff? I have Communication, which is great, but can't find any of the earlier albums.

Just one solo Karl Bartos, and it's Electric Music (1999), on CD. Loved it at the time, but haven't played it in yonks.

The second Electronic album, Raise The Pressure, (1996), features Herr Bartos on several tracks, and it's worth investigating, if you haven't already got it. And that's it, for me...
Don't have these two, nor can I find 'em for sale.
emotion-6.gif

...What's Communication like?...
Like it very much. He's used many of the familiar Kraftwerk sounds/synth programs, riffs and percussion, yet the album sounds fresh, distinctive and very catchy and 'bouncy'. It's a fine-sounding recording, too.
emotion-1.gif

Here're all the tracks, apart from Interview:

The Camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j79TXSd9IR0

I'm The Message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxpW4CC9Gs

15 Minutes Of Fame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uozmVl38VMI

Reality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyc-sWMpsM

Electronic Apeman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx9IWUlmt2I

Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCzEXbGelIY

Cyberspace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9TlSl6mKI

Ultraviolet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65DqZBIMZ-s

Another Reality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dyUm7ET2nk

...Probably my favourite vinyl purchase of the last year though, has to be the Neu box set, a true work of art. Looks, plays, sounds fantastic.
emotion-21.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the Communication links, I'm just giving it a blast as I write this.

I think I'll be purchasing the album. It's got that quintessential Kraftwerk feel to it, with added pop-sheen.

The Raise The Pressure album is excellent. Very melodic, electro-pop. As a teenager back in the early 80's, my "supergroup" would have comprised elements of The Smiths, New Order and Pet Shop Boys.

And then it came to pass . . .well, on the first Electronic album. A perfect meld of Barney's banal/profound child-like voice and words, with Johnny Marr's supreme melodic sense. Their shared love of all things Kraftwerk et al shines through. With droll Neil & Chris adornments on a couple of tracks too.

The second album, Raise The Pressure, is another over-looked techno-pop classic, in my estimation. Dismissed by many at the time as "Dad's at the disco" - it was released amidst a welter of dance pop in the charts - I think it's sublime: a streamlined, beats-driven Euro-themed slice of pop.

Where to find it? I presume you've done a trawl through the usual sites?

(If you're struggling I'd happily furnish you with a CD-R version).*

* hope this doesn't have me ex-communicated from the Church Of Holy Hi-fi Forum.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Glad that Communication hits the spot.
emotion-1.gif

I have Electronic's first - and just found Raise The Pressure, 'gathering dust' in my iTunes library - which are excellent, not so keen on Twisted Tenderness, though.

Have Googled Bartos's Elektric Music, but can't find it, apart from some typical eBay-based bandit selling it as a 'Buy Now' for £32.45 + £12.27 p&p.
emotion-3.gif

Can you suggest any other sources, please?

Otherwise, I'll gratefully accept your kind offer of a CD-R version.

Thanks
emotion-2.gif

PS Happy Christmas, mate
emotion-19.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Radiohead - Best of.

After being impressed by the SQ of 'In Rainbows' on vinyl, I ordered this 4LP Box Set, hoping for more of the same. I haven't been disappointed. Firstly, all four discs are perfectly pressed. There's not a single 'pop' on any of the discs. There is a lot more musical information coming off this vinyl release than there is on the CD versions (with the exception of 'creep', which sounds a bit flat). The hi-hat and ride have a really natural twinkle and decay, the guitars have an absolute acre of air around them and Thom's voice just sounds amazingly life-like.

I baulked at the price of this box-set, at first (£45). But, once I looked at the track listing and saw that they've included (nearly) all the best cuts from all the albums on these discs, I realised that it's actually a bit af a bargain. 29 tracks on four heavyweight discs for less than £50 can't be bad.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
bretty:

Radiohead - Best of.

After being impressed by the SQ of 'In Rainbows' on vinyl, I ordered this 4LP Box Set, hoping for more of the same. I haven't been disappointed. Firstly, all four discs are perfectly pressed. There's not a single 'pop' on any of the discs. There is a lot more musical information coming off this vinyl release than there is on the CD versions (with the exception of 'creep', which sounds a bit flat). The hi-hat and ride have a really natural twinkle and decay, the guitars have an absolute acre of air around them and Thom's voice just sounds amazingly life-like.

I baulked at the price of this box-set, at first (£45). But, once I looked at the track listing and saw that they've included (nearly) all the best cuts from all the albums on these discs, I realised that it's actually a bit af a bargain. 29 tracks on four heavyweight discs for less than £50 can't be bad.

Nice one, Brett. I'm jealous.

Due to many other on-going financial commitments (upcoming wedding, house renovation/extension), I've had to re-impose my vinyl/CD purchasing ban. The last one had started to fizzle out, after being begun last July, to justify amp and speaker purchases. So I'm left to drool over the acquisitions of others.

Thanks again for your input to my recent "new disc spinner needed" thread. Luckily, all is going well with the old one, and for the above stated reasons any possible new purchases will be on hold for up to a year.

That said, it's mostly vinyl I'm playing at the moment. I've dug out loads of Neil Young to see how it compares to the CD and/or Blu-ray versions I've got. Last night, Comes A Time and Zuma truly shone in their vinyl form.

Enjoy the Radiohead. Presume Karma Police is on there and sounds particularly wonderful?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts