Good standmount speakers, sub £600

markym3

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am running a Sugden Bijou system (CDMaster/Headmaster/Ampmaster) system, or alternatively a HiFace2/Benchmark DAC1 combo feeding the Ampmaster directly.

I currently have some Mission 780SE speakers from the early noughties (cherry finish) sitting on Atacama SE24 stands. Cable is Kimber 8TC/4TC bi-wire (old syle blue/black colour). An OK set-up that sufficed since I do most of my listening on HD800 headphones due to living in a flat. However, had been thinking of upgrading to something more recent.

Anyways, both mid/bass drive units got damaged recently due to an electronic malfunction so that's forced the issue now. Looking at new speakers and maybe new stands as well given the Atacama's are a bit tatty having been bashed around a bit.

Basically, I want a speaker that is ideally comfortable working 20-30cm from the rear wall and no more than 30-40cm in from side walls. Not looking for prodigous bass, just the most transparent spacious sound in my maximum budget of £600 (but prefer to spend less if possible).

The room is rectangular, about 24 feet by 10 feet with the speakers firing down the room. Due to furniture arrangements, not able to sit between the speakers in a sweet spot.

I've seen a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers and matching stands in Richer Sounds that looked very good but not able to hear them, though they seem highly rated here. They cost £550 as the set. Somewhat cheaper is the Tannoy DC4 which could go with my existing stands but I understand they are fussy about positioning and like free space unless the port is bunged if sited closer to the wall.

Can anyone offer any views and other suggestions? I understand Tannoy tend to do well with off-axis listening due to the dual-concetric design which could appeal given my furniture constraints - is this the case?

Cheers,
Mark

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Personaly I think the Q Acousitcs Concept sound brilliant. pity they made the stands look alike a dogs dinner.

So what though, get some different stands. :)

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
See if you can get down to a shop to demo a few speakers. Take some music with you that you're very familiar with. For what it's worth, I've not heard a single person complain about those Concept 20's!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I used to use the 780SEs, they are pretty bass light as I found out after upgrading. You could try the KEF R100s not sure if they are good close to walls though. The Q2020is could work as they are fairly bass light.

Also the Dali Zensor 3s are getting some good feedback from some users on here, see the Dali Zensor 3 post.

T

the record spot

My lounge is probably similar to yours but I have the TV / stereo facing across the width of the lower part of the room. I find the Tannoys are terrific in a small space, with a midrange that wonderfully lucid. The reviews all say they struggle with bass, but I find that there's ample for my listening needs. You're at the mercy of recording quality too which is variable at best on a good day. I've yet to find them wanting however.

Mine sit out about two or three feet from the wall, which works well and I'm lucky to have a sweet spot to sit in which adds to the experience. The dual concentric works a treat and throws out sounds over a wide area. Disarmingly so at times! Not the first time I've heard an alarm going off in the hall, or people speaking outside my window (I'm one floor up). Do try to hear them, though for the length of your room, it may be the DC6 is a good option (circa £400 or so in Richer Sounds).

jovior

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mark,

I´ve got the Wharfedale Evo-2 that I paid less as 300 euros... and they work well with a mini-system Denon. Maybe you are able to find them for even less money where you live. Though I love Q-Acoustics, maybe Wharfedale could be an option if you find them cheap.

jsp

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend:

- Kef R100

- Taga Platinum S-40 SE: http://www.kronosav.com/platinum-s-40se-bookshelf-surround-speaker.html

T

the record spot

I'll throw in Pioneer's S-71B as well. Looks like it could be interesting - seems to have the dual concentric approach too.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
There are some Acoustic Energy AE1 speakers on eBay for £450 at the moment. These are lovely sounding speakers and are good value at that price.

The AE2's are on budget too, and work very well up near rear walls.

They sound very good at low volumes too, should not have sold mine, along with many other speakers!

Regarding Tannoy Dual Concentrics, its not specifically that they have a good of axis performance, but a consistant/even off axis roll off, much like a lot of waveguide and other coaxial based speakers. KEF Uni-Q are another example but I have only real experience with the Reference range.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A change from 'the usual suspects'...

clicky

I noted the lowish listening volumes, the positioning issues, the need for 'spaciousness' and transparency over whomping bass, and the Sugden kit.

The cabinets are completely assembled and finished, varnished etc. (There is a choice of finishes.)

The baffle assemblies are completely assembled, soldered etc.

The only soldering would be to connect the rear terminals. Everything is in the kit for £488 + £20 p&p. (Old LS3/5As or modern derivatives would cost you anywhere from about £900 - £1500.)

Alternatively, Spendor S3/5R2s.

Both suggestions have sealed cabinets (no ports) and would meet your positioning criteria.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Whatever happened to the much praised Arcaidis EB ... (or something to that effect)?

They were all the rave a year or so ago ... .

Will Kef's L50 go the same way? - Rarely do products survive the initial hype, well they do until the next greatest/latest comes along.

Personally, I'd add Usher S520 to the list. Very good, very small and nicely made.

regards

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Whatever happened to the much praised Arcaidis EB ... (or something to that effect)?

They were all the rave a year or so ago ... .

Will Kef's L50 go the same way? - Rarely do products survive the initial hype, well they do until the next greatest/latest comes along.

Personally, I'd add Usher S520 to the list. Very good, very small and nicely made.

regards

EB Acoustics EB1 and/or EB2? Apart from the usual hype curve that applies to any product, I think the delays in delivery time (and therefore availability) also slowed that right down.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Heard some Totem Dreamcatchers recently had a very spacious sound and would work well in the placement you described,£600 though. Look lovely in maple.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
+1 on the Kef R100s. They sound wonderful and I have recently moved mine to around 30 from the rear wall and they still work beautifully! The uni-q driver arrangement gives them an unrivalled soundstage which should work well for you.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For your budget I'd look at:

KEF R100's or LS50's (2nd hand or ex-demo)

B&W CM1's or even the 685's would work very well

Monitor Audio GS10's or GX50's

Rega RS1's or Neat Motive 3's (ex-demo / 2nd hand again)

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
You might find you're going to end up dissapointed, it's going to take something pretty good to beat those old missions, they really offer a lot for what they cost, I doubt theres much better under £600 that will offer much more sonically, in my list I think I would look at Rega, Epos and the new Edwards Audio SP1, these are really fast and punchy similar to those missions you had.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:

I don't think the LS50s or the CM1s work very well close to walls. You could try the Rega RS1s but I was not impressed at all, I have a similar set up to you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
d_a_n1979 said:

I don't think the LS50s or the CM1s work very well close to walls. You could try the Rega RS1s but I was not impressed at all, I have a similar set up to you.

What is your set-up BigH?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bigsounds said:
You might find you're going to end up dissapointed, it's going to take something pretty good to beat those old missions, they really offer a lot for what they cost, I doubt theres much better under £600 that will offer much more sonically, in my list I think I would look at Rega, Epos and the new Edwards Audio SP1, these are really fast and punchy similar to those missions you had.

Not sure about that, I have the 780SEs and have upgraded this year, they were good speakers years ago but think that some new speakers are better, I was trying in the £500-£1,000 so difficult to compare, the LS50s were better but the Rega RS1s were not, certainly my AVI 9RSSs are far better but they cost £1,400 but that does inc. amps and DAC.

One advantage the 780s have over some modern speakers is they have room filling sound at fairly low volume, some modern speakers like LS50s seem to need quite a bit of volume to get going.

markym3

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Many thanks for the interesting replies - much more than I expected from this thread!

My 780SE's (early 2000's version, not the mid-90's one) certainly fill the room nicely at low volumes, which is essential for me because of the volume constraints due to flat living. However, I wouldn't say they are particularly open or revealing, although in fairness I use expensive headphones most of the time which major in this area. Also, speaker positioning and cabling could be an issue.

I have thought about getting the Missions repaired but both bass/mid drivers are knackered and the tweeters may also be damaged. In which case the economic case for repair is marginal. Plus I've noted mixed thoughts on whether they are still competitive with potential replacements.

I'll probably go for replacements. The Concept 20's and stands are at the top of my audition list since they look good and will fit into my room requirements. Will aim to demo as soon as my errant Ampmaster is returned to me by Sugden. The Tannoy's look good as well but everything I've seen suggests they need plenty of space to work at their best. Lots of other things to consider and if I see a pair of Proac Tablette's Ref 8's appearing on ebay that would be a temptation given they are a recognised match with Sugden gear - nothing doing right now though.

Thanks again. Great forum :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts