Good amp for Spendor A5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering which amp is good for the Spendor A5s?

I was leaning towards the Marantz PM6003 but I think it's not quite powerful enough for these speakers. I cannot afford a really expensive one as the A5s ate a good part of my budget.

Also what are some good budget cables to go with these?

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Save and do he job properly. The A5's have an 85dB sensitivity rating, which is quite low. Amps under 50wpc will be ok for low level listening, but will start to become unstable at higher levels (around 11 o'clock on the volume dial). And as I've said before with lower sensitivity speakers, needing a good amp isn't just about driving the speakers harder - the amp needs a good current delivery to make the speaker sound good at low levels too. What I mean is, the amplifier gives the speaker it's kick, and if it can't do this at normal to higher levels, it's not going to do it at normal to lower levels either.

Minimum to start with is a Naim Nait 5i/Arcam A18, but be prepared to have to look a little further up the price scale, like the Nait XS. If you really have to look less than £500, try the Audiolab 8000S.

A

Anonymous

Hi David, which amp (up to £1,500.00) would have a good current delivery and good damping to drive the A5s besides the Nait XS?

A

Anonymous

there is a used krell KAV-400Xi on ebay that falls within your budget

A

Anonymous

hi jtein

just heard some audio analogue amps which should go well with the spendors nice open detailed sound without being harsh

also electrocompaniet would be a good match but dont know how much either cost in ringgit

both amps have power to spare plus can take better speakers i heard them with cremonas and paradigm

A

Anonymous

Smooth and powerful is what you need. The Quad 909/99 would work very well.

A

Anonymous

one off:hi jtein

just heard some audio analogue amps which should go well with the spendors nice open detailed sound without being harsh

also electrocompaniet would be a good match but dont know how much either cost in ringgit

both amps have power to spare plus can take better speakers i heard them with cremonas and paradigm

Ooo....expensive gear....doubt they fall into the sub-£1500 category....I might as well go for the Leema Tucana II *drool*
emotion-4.gif

SlickenSmooth:Hi,

I was wondering which amp is good for the Spendor A5s?

I was leaning towards the Marantz PM6003 but I think it's not quite powerful enough for these speakers. I cannot afford a really expensive one as the A5s ate a good part of my budget.

Also what are some good budget cables to go with these?

Thanks.

Roksan Kandy LIII, Arcam A85. These can be picked for £400 and £300 on ebay respectively. If you can stretch your budget s/hand Leema Pulse should be a good match and drive them without a problem (£600 - £700 ebay).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I can get the ARCAM FMJ-A18 for the same price as a Quad 99, what would be better to go with?

A

Anonymous

I would lean towards the Quad myself but I like their general sound. Do you mean a 99 power amp and 99 pre? Can't you audition first?

A

Anonymous

Yep Demo versions though.

As I live in the Netherlands it's very hard to find a dealer that has Spendors, so I'm limited amp wise as the place sells lots of speakers but not so many amps. So it's difficult for me to audition 'em.

A

Anonymous

would that be here http://www.itharkstee.nl/producten.html

they do sell naim

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jtein: Hi David, which amp (up to £1,500.00) would have a good current delivery and good damping to drive the A5s besides the Nait XS?Besides the XS, we'd recommend either the Arcam FMJ A38, Cyrus 8Xpd, or the Rega Elicit, although we'd normally be recommending the 152x/155x pre/power combination for this type of speaker. I have to be honest here, but a demo I did the other day, the Kandy K2 driving ATC SCM11's, which are a similar impedance to the A5's, just didn't quite do it for me. Even though it states 125wpc, you just felt as though you needed to turn it up and up. The current just wasn't there, but maybe it's a different story with more efficient speakers.

A

Anonymous

Helpful David. I am driving Spendor A6's from Nait XS , Flatcap 2x combo but have wondered if I'd be better with Naim pre / power separates ?

Also do you think room size and listening postion is significant here ? I get great detail and separation between 9 - 11 o clock on the volume dial , after that things break down . But I know there's a lot more left in the Amp and speaker tank which will distort in my room and from 12 feet away...

Finally can you comment on the Cyrus 6 cdse + the equivalent amp . Is it the same kind of sound as Naim . I have some PMC DB 1's which need a system and while I could get something cheap and cheerful like the Nad 326 bee and Nad 545 cd or the Cambridge audio 650 A and C , I wonder if the PMC 's deserve better or am I being too hard on the CA and NAD

CHEERS

A

Anonymous

This speak of current surprises me because the nominal impedance of the A5s (and SA1s) is quite high and their impedance curve is rather benign making them an easy drive in terms of current requirements. Some would call this a well designed speaker. What they do need, however, is plenty of volts (Watts) to make them go loud. I'm only quoting from other reviewers here. I've often thought there seems to be a mix up between the impact of sensitivity versus the impact of a difficult load, two different things.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
peebs: Helpful David. I am driving Spendor A6's from Nait XS , Flatcap 2x combo but have wondered if I'd be better with Naim pre / power separates ? As you already have your Nait XS, you'd be better off adding a power amp, then later on changing the XS to a dedicated pre. I'd say it's not a big enough jump for some people to go to the 152x/155x from an XS, so if you're thinking of taking this route, have an audition and see what you think. For those who are in the fresh position to buy either, as good as the XS is, there are many speakers out there that will benefit from the pre/power. For some, this may be a choice of convenience, which is where the XS comes in.

Also do you think room size and listening postion is significant here ? I get great detail and separation between 9 - 11 o clock on the volume dial , after that things break down . But I know there's a lot more left in the Amp and speaker tank which will distort in my room and from 12 feet away...Partly yes. The closer you are to your speakers, the less you need to drive them. The further away you are requires more juice, and there are some amplifiers out there that just start to lose it once you near the 12 o'clock position. The size of room is important, because the system isn't just filling the gap between you and the speakers, it's having to fill the whole room. Notice how different your system sounds with the door open compared to it fully closed.....

Finally can you comment on the Cyrus 6 cdse + the equivalent amp . Is it the same kind of sound as Naim . I have some PMC DB 1's which need a system and while I could get something cheap and cheerful like the Nad 326 bee and Nad 545 cd or the Cambridge audio 650 A and C , I wonder if the PMC 's deserve better or am I being too hard on the CA and NAD.Naim and Cyrus are quite different, and even Cyrus is different when you compare their integrated amplifiers to their pre/powers. Cyrus integrated amplifiers tend to have a leaner sound than the Naim (and their own pre/powers), which will suit some rooms/music/speakers, but not others. It's all personal preference. I feel KEF Reference goes with Naim better than it does Cyrus, but quite a few people have chosen Cyrus pre/powers with them because they prefer that presentation. Horses for courses.

I know people tend to think that little speakers don't need much in the way of amplification, but they tend to be the least sensitive out of their entire range. Generally, my rule of thumb is to spend more on the amp than the speakers. The speakers can only sound as good as the amplifier lets them - the amp has to have total control over the speaker otherwise you're not getting what was intended. This rule will be affected by the price point it's applied to, so it's not a blanket recommendation.

A

Anonymous

david its equally true that the amp can only sound as good as the speakers let it and since the speakers are the window into the system surely your better off spending more on them rather than spending more on something you cant actually hear

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:This speak of current surprises me because the nominal impedance of the A5s (and SA1s) is quite high and their impedance curve is rather benign making them an easy drive in terms of current requirements. Some would call this a well designed speaker. What they do need, however, is plenty of volts (Watts) to make them go loud. I'm only quoting from other reviewers here. I've often thought there seems to be a mix up between the impact of sensitivity versus the impact of a difficult load, two different things.The A5's impedance does drop to 5 ohms, which isn't a problem in itself, but add to that their 86dB (the S5e before them were 85dB) sensitivity does give an amplifier more work to do. You could have a 200 watt amplifier on the end of them, but if the amp doesn't have enough current, you'll end up with a speaker that has less focus, lacks control, lacks punch, and just sounds too soft and loose (the S5e was laid back enough as it was!).

I know there are a few different schools of thought as to what amplifier is needed to drive a particular speaker properly, but I can only go by what I experience in the many demo's I've done over the past 20 years. S5e's and A5's are definitely harder to drive than the average speaker, needing the volume turned up much more. For normal music listening levels in our secondary AV room, a pair of S5e's on a Yamaha RXV1900 needed -5dB on the volume - ordinarily most speakers would be about -15dB roughly. As good as an RXV1900 is, it just wasn't enough for the S5e's. The same goes for hi-fi amplifiers. A demo I did using the ATC SCM11's, the Kandy K2 amp was up to 11 o'clock - and the speakers were wanting more. That's 125wpc. What the current is I have no idea, I don't have that info to hand. Judging by the attention to the power supply I'd expect the Kandy to be fine, but as I said, in practice it just wasn't enough. This is why Naim tends to stand out on their own in comparisons to other amplifiers, because their ability to drive harder loads - whether it be sensitivity or impedance - belies their actual wpc rating.

A

Anonymous

Brillainat !

So the Flatcap is not a power amp so much as a power supply ? and from what you say I could use a power amp and a flatcap with the xs ?

In the world of pre and power separates what's the jump I need to make with Naim to really notice the difference from the current XS , flatcap 2x ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
one off:david its equally true that the amp can only sound as good as the speakers let it and since the speakers are the window into the system surely your better off spending more on them rather than spending more on something you cant actually hearTo a point I agree, which is why I mentioned that this can't be solid as it depends on the budget involved. But if I had a choice between having a cracking pair of speakers and underdriving them with a basic amplifier, I'd rather have a top notch amp and be driving the nuts off a good budget model. Obviously what we want is the middle ground, but that's an extreme example of what I mean.

I've always classed the pre-amplifier as the window in the system. The reason for that is that every source component passes through that pre-amplifier. How that signal passes through is extremely important. You could have the best speakers in the world with the best source component and great power amplification, but the pre-amplifier is going to make the difference between that system sounding completely flat and lifeless (window closed) or full of life and energy (window open). Again, extreme example, but I think you get the picture.

I think the reason I think that is that a colleague who had a pretty decent system at the time wanted an upgrade, but was the sort of person who didn't think the pre-amp was important. I let him borrow a Michell Argo. His words were, "it was like opening up a window into the music".

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
peebs: In the world of pre and power separates what's the jump I need to make with Naim to really notice the difference from the current XS , flatcap 2x ? It all depends what you want to improve. Do you need more power or better control? Do you want better quality and focus? The power amp will do one, the Flatcap another.....

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm also very interested in the A5. I've asked the dealer if I could get a demo with an Naimuniti. Untill now, last one isn't arrived yet. When I read all the reply's, I've my doubts about this combination. Does anyone have an experice yet with these two?

Thanx,

A

Anonymous

Frank,

First off thanks for all the insightful information that you've been putting in this topic :).

I'd like to know if a Marantz PM7000 KI could drive 'em or is it too weak?

Also..

Your comment about how important the amp is made me reconsider, maybe I should get some Monitor Audio RX-8, which I auditioned today on a Marantz PM8003 and it sounded nice but was lacking bass and body, then the shopowner hooked it up with a Advance Acoustic MAP 305 DA II (although only 2 stars for What Hifi) and they sounded amazing. Also they gave me the impression that they're friendly with a lot of types of music. That gives me around 1000-1200 quid for a good amp. What do you recommend for these RX-8's?

Tomorrow I will audition the A5s and likely I will have to make a choice between the A5 or RX-8.

A

Anonymous

I still maintain that if I had spendor A5's ... and £1500 to spend on an amp, I would not hesitate to buy the krell KAV-400Xi ...

the spendors need an amp with lots of power to perform at their best ... the Krell delivers 200 watts at 8 ohms and gets very good reviews (search google)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts