Good amp for Spendor A5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Guys I got the Spendors A5 with the new Sugden Mystro amp! Man what a combination that is! I'm really happy with my choice. Although it left me without budget to buy a CD player, the few months will be well worth the wait. I bought me an Musical Fidelity DAC converter and the owner gave me a little bit of discount and some Van Den Hul speaker cables which he just pimped up. I'll hook up my laptop with high quality ripped CD's for now. And I have an old Sony Minidisc (QS series) that I can hook up to run in my speakers.

Guys the upperclass models of Sugden are all class A amplifiers! Which means they are like David told you. Very warm sounding, laid back, very very musical but a bit on the soft side, so it's not for everyone depending on your musical tastes (for classical or acoustic stuff, etc. it's amazing) or your speaker/ amp combination. Like Jtein said I like my music to be in your face but defenitely not bright. The Sugden Mystro is actually a combination of Class A/B Amplifier! That means at lower volumes it will be laidback, very good sounding and musical, then after the volume goes past a quarter it will become a Class B amp which will make your music be much more rhytmic and dynamic. So it'll be more in your face.

Even at low volumes I was amazed but how much detail I could hear with the Spendors which are know for having a low sensitivity.

Read about it on http://www.sugdenaudio.com/mystro.htm

I'm so impressed with their products I'll save up to buy the Mystro CD player also. Anyone know what the prices of an Mystro CD is in the UK? Over here it's 1400 euros so it might be worth it to make a trip to the UK for this.

Thanks for all your help guys!

A

Anonymous

Congrats to you Slickensmooth on your new acquisition of the Sugden and Spendor A5! Looks like you will be enjoying your music for years on end
emotion-2.gif

Can't wait for my turn at the end of this month. How much is the Sugden Masterclass retailing for at your dealer?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jtein, yeah I'll be in for some treatment the coming years!

The Masterclass amp of Sugden was 4900 euros Jtein. Ouch....

A

Anonymous

SlickenSmooth:Thanks Jtein, yeah I'll be in for some treatment the coming years!

The Masterclass amp of Sugden was 4900 euros Jtein. Ouch....

I just checked with the dealer here in Malaysia and the Masterclass integrated (not the latest version) costs RM25,000.00 due to the exchange rate! I'll need to wait for my ships to come in

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi David,

I have the PS Audio Trio P200 & A100 pre-power combo (100W) - any expereince if these would work well with the A5 or the SA1 ? My room size is about 4m x 7m . CD is the Audiolab 8200CD.

TRENDING THREADS