Golden ear triton 7

OleBWard

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I went to my local hi-fi shop to browse their selection of used records. They were demoing a pair of golden ear triton 1's for a customer. I was completely blown away. The sound was so open, clear and concompressed. I had previously decided that I was going to buy a pair of q acoustics 3050's as they're generally reviewed very well and priced even better. The few minutes I heard the golden ears has made me question my decision. Now obviously the triton 1's are in a different class than the 3050's. I get that. I'm wondering if the triton 7's would be worth paying double the price over the q acoustics? Also welcome general thoughts on both speakers.

Equipment is: Dual 1019 with shure m75ed, Yamaha as-501. Room is about 18'x12'. I listen to mainly rock/punk/metal.

Thanks for your input!

I've read some very good reports of almost every model in the range. When I was changing my amp in the spring the dealer also sold these, and I was going to audtition some. Unfortunately he was about five hours away and I never did hear any.

They seem very good value for a US import, assuming you're in the UK. Do try to hear them at home with your amp though.

OleBWard

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the response! I'm actually in the US so no need to import. I haven't heard them with my amp. I actually haven't heard the 7's at all. I did read an account of a guy that has an as501 and bought the 7's expecting them to disappoint but loved them. He listens to jazz which is about as diametrically opposed to metal as you can get so I don't know how it'll translate.

I think most US gear is a better proposition at home than abroad, though I owned Krell amp and cd for twenty years here in Britain so am not typical! Sorry cannot advise further as they're pretty rare over here. I do recall one contributor with a Triton model. I'll try to find it.

Here:- https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/goldenear-triton-seven-speakers

rainsoothe

Being in the US, you have access to stuff like Golden Ear, Martin Logan or Revel for way cheaper then we have in the EU, so those are worth serious considering. Unfortunately I never got the chance to audition Golden Ears, but would love to. And yes, I bet they're worth the extra over the Q Acoustics - but only your ears can tell, and it's all about system and room synergy anyway.

rainsoothe said:
Being in the US, you have access to stuff like Golden Ear, Martin Logan or Revel for way cheaper then we have in the EU, so those are worth serious considering. Unfortunately I never got the chance to audition Golden Ears, but would love to. And yes, I bet they're worth the extra over the Q Acoustics - but only your ears can tell, and it's all about system and room synergy anyway.

+1

Here in the UK it is extremely difficult to audition any U.S. speakers, the Golden Ears especially. I would love to see more dealers stocking these. As it was I ended up with Acoustic Zen Adagio, suggest you look into these also but I don't know how prices compare over there.

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I still own these speakers and they continue to put a smile on my face, I have them playing alongside PS Audio DirectStream Junior DAC and their Stella 300 power amp.

They seem to go well together and all availble in the USA.

Give them an audition you won't be dissapointed.

OleBWard

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Can you put my mind at ease and tell me how you perceive the general character of the speaker? I'm worried they'll be a little lean/not impactful on the low end.

rainsoothe

OleBWard said:
Can you put my mind at ease and tell me how you perceive the general character of the speaker? I'm worried they'll be a little lean/not impactful on the low end.

from what I remember, Q Acoustics aren't that heavy in the low end to begin with, nor do they sound full and round. And partnered wrong, they can sound bright AF.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts