Going active ... ?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
hoopsontoast said:
Fostex FF225K (8") and Veravox 5S (5")

9579546342_18878c1ce0_b.jpg

Cheap low quality driver with a pressed steel basket.

hoopsontoast said:

That's more like it. That looks like a good quality piece of kit.

John Duncan said:
I have a small pen1s

:hand: Whoh there boy. That's not the sort of thing you should be admitting on a public forum. Especially to a bunch of immature audiophiles. We'll be misquoting that post for months now. :grin:

Steve, you seem to be baising a drivers potential performance on its subjective aesthetic rather than any actual parameter.

In what way does a cast frame have any bearing on a drivers performance in a domestic setting, other than looking nice?

The Fostex driver is a very highly regarded full-range driver, and a very high magnet strength and low cone mass.

You point out that the ATC driver looks nice, although it probably has the joint worst set of compromises in its design.

I was commenting that you seem to think the AVI sub driver is particularly special, it isnt. Its an OEM basket with a custom magnet and cone, now most subwoofer drivers optomised for lots of equalisation and a small cabinet are likely to have a driver that looks similar with similar parameters to have one goal, to get the deepest bass from a sub-optimal cabinet.

I also ment OEM as in that its direct to the manufacturer, not for public sale, so I would not expect it to be able to be bought, although you could probably buy something similar, have a look at car audio sites.

The basket is the same, its used by a lot of people, eminence as mentioned for one, who I am guessing as they use the same cast frames as a lot of other manufacturers, and being the biggest they probably would supply them.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
Perhaps I should have included the fact that divorce was not an option.

Be thankful he didn't recommend these...

DSCN8670.jpg

(Lindsayt's Bozak B-4000s dwarfing some compact stand-mount speakers.)

However, it is worth noting that Lindsayt has the good fortune to be able to spread all this kit out in his Victorian mansion ...

lindsayt said:
Living in a Victorian mansion helps in blending-in large vintage hi-fi kit and giving the wife a choice of rooms in which to entertain visitors.

... so always take his advice with this in mind.

Basically, get a mansion.

Thank-you for your contribution Chebby.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
:Steve, you seem to be baising a drivers potential performance on its subjective aesthetic rather than any actual parameter.

In what way does a cast frame have any bearing on a drivers performance in a domestic setting, other than looking nice?

Do you really think a cheap pressed steel spider is as good as a solid cast one? A cast spider is much more rigid.

hoopsontoast said:
I was commenting that you seem to think the AVI sub driver is particularly special, it isnt. Its an OEM basket with a custom magnet and cone, now most subwoofer drivers optomised for lots of equalisation and a small cabinet are likely to have a driver that looks similar with similar parameters to have one goal, to get the deepest bass from a sub-optimal cabinet.

I also ment OEM as in that its direct to the manufacturer, not for public sale, so I would not expect it to be able to be bought, although you could probably buy something similar, have a look at car audio sites.

The quality of many of the more expensive car audio drivers is exellent - good enough to put many hifi speaker drivers to shame. There are of course plenty of cheap boomers like you get in chavy Citroen Saxo's too.

hoopsontoast said:
The basket is the same, its used by a lot of people, eminence as mentioned for one, who I am guessing as they use the same cast frames as a lot of other manufacturers, and being the biggest they probably would supply them.

I honestly don't know if Sinar Baja use the same basket or just one that looks similar on some of their other speakers. I suspect that you don't know either.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I hate to nit pick but its a cast or stamped frame, the spider is part of the suspension assembly.

I do honesly think a stamped frame is as rigid as a cast one in a domestic enviroment.

Again, as mentioned the only advantages I can think of if you have a PA speaker that might be knocked about a LOT and subject to a LOT of abuse then maybe a cast frame might help with durability, even then I think its marginal given the move towards lightweight Neodymium magnets. The other is heat transfer, again only applicable to PA speakers where constant sustained high volumes are used, and the cast frame can have some heatsinking built in, much like these:

External Heat sink like the Volt Radial drivers:

volt4514subwoofer1803.jpg

Internal Heatsinking like this Eminence for example: (a more common design)
eminence_kappalite_3015lf_back.jpg

I would probably bet good money that the cast frame is the same on the AVI sub as used by a lot of other people, its not a disadvantage, means that the manufacturer has spent more of the design/research on the motor design, voice coil, cone, suspension etc rather than developing a costly frame.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
lindsayt said:
The EV Sentry III bass driver has enough linear travel to play at 116 dbs at 40 hz without getting near hitting the limits of the cone suspension. They do not have rubber surrounds. They have foam surrounds. The magnet is not small for a 15" driver. You'd need to put them next to other 15" drivers to see that. Apart from that, everything in your post was correct.

This is what an AVI bass driver looks like.

AVIsub.jpg

The pictures speak for themselves really.

AVI 12" Sub Version: (I cant find a pic side on of the 10" one showing the vented area for the Spider)

DSCF1791.JPG

Eminence LAB 12 Subwoofer Driver:

customdriver1.jpeg

Quick 2min google for "10" Subwoofer" resulted in 3 different drivers with the same frame.....

DSC01623.jpg

2008_05_14_10_51_17_sx.JPG

Skar-Audio-VVX-10-Subwoofer-Rear.jpg

Andy-F73

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I love it how DIY’ers come on forums like this and think they no better than the respective manufacturer. A manufacturer will spend thousands researching and testing a product only for a DIY’er to come along with a handful of watts and a driver that was optimised back in 1973 and think they know better.

Potty the lot of them …

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
chebby said:
fr0g said:

DSCN8670.jpg

However, it is worth noting that Lindsayt has the good fortune to be able to spread all this kit out in his Victorian mansion ...

lindsayt said:
Living in a Victorian mansion helps in blending-in large vintage hi-fi kit and giving the wife a choice of rooms in which to entertain visitors.

You are the tricky one aren't you?

You know full well (because the URL has not changed but the photo has) that the photo I posted was of your Bozak speakers. (With a pair of Linn Isobariks and racks of LPs.)

10287683383_bb360555bd_o.jpg

(Google images still had the thumbnail pic cached.)

Obviously you have spoilt your posting on Pink Fish too (where I got the photo URL from) as a result of trying to make it look like I posted the dung picture...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67564 (post #13) *

It was originally (before your devious photo switch) a valid point. You have an enormous Victorian mansion and can spread out lots of vast kit that others (like fr0g) cannot. Your recommendations regarding size of kit must therefore be seen in this light.

Anyway, you have essentially altered/edited my post as a result of the photo switch and only mods have the right to edit posts so please don't do it again.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Andy-F73 said:
I love it how DIY’ers come on forums like this and think they no better than the respective manufacturer. A manufacturer will spend thousands researching and testing a product only for a DIY’er to come along with a handful of watts and a driver that was optimised back in 1973 and think they know better.

Potty the lot of them …

Whoa there darling, I was merely pointing out that the driver in the AVI sub is nothing but pretty standard for that kind of application, and that design as used by a lot of other people, as I pointed out.

Not sure what the handfull of watts and a driver from 1973 has to do with anything? :roll:

FWIW I dont think I know better than AVI, I have looked into it and I certainly could not form a sucessfull speaker company, I would not make any money.

It just amused me that for a company that is entirely objective would back up their speakers with purely subjective opinion, and fans/customers of said company would base a drivers potential performance on how a driver looks, rather than any measureable parameter.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
lindsayt said:
chebby said:
fr0g said:

DSCN8670.jpg

lindsayt said:

You are the tricky one aren't you?

You know full well (because the URL has not changed but the photo has) that the photo I posted was of your Bozak speakers. (With a pair of Linn Isobariks and racks of LPs.)

10287683383_bb360555bd_o.jpg

(Google images still had the thumbnail pic cached.)

Obviously you have spoilt your posting on Pink Fish too (where I got the photo URL from) as a result of trying to make it look like I posted the dung picture...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67564 (post #13) *

It was originally (before your devious photo switch) a valid point. You have an enormous Victorian mansion and can spread out lots of vast kit that others (like fr0g) cannot. Your recommendations regarding size of kit must therefore be seen in this light.

Anyway, you have essentially altered/edited my post as a result of the photo switch and only mods have the right to edit posts so please don't do it again.

To be fair aesthetically speaking there isn't much in it ;)

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Andy-F73 said:

Potty the lot of them …

well..... lets be honest, in terms of sub design......... this (in a sealed cabinet) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=293-666

with a minidsp ($100) and a powerful enough amp will beat any product on the market at any price. Let me know if you can find a better performing product at any price, total cost is going to be under £1500.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Building loudspeaker drive units is a complex skill, it requires expertise in many different disciplines, many of them far more complex than the shape or style of the basket.

Think about it, are you really going to melt alloy and form your own baskets, with all the work that entails just to reinvent the wheel?

Same with ferrite magnets, you virtually buy them by the pound, rectangular cross section wire for edge wound voicecoils, are you really going to draw your own?

Almost all of the obvious parameters are open to interpretation and poor implementation can easily turn a silk purse into a pigs ear.

If you are 'building' you own drive units then, unless you have some very unusual requirements or are looking to make a visual statement (like the Volts) then you concentrate on putting the important bits together, the ones that make a real difference.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Building loudspeaker drive units is a complex skill, it requires expertise in many different disciplines, many of them far more complex than the shape or style of the basket. Think about it, are you really going to melt alloy and form your own baskets, with all the work that entails just to reinvent the wheel? Same with ferrite magnets, you virtually buy them by the pound, rectangular cross section wire for edge wound voicecoils, are you really going to draw your own? Almost all of the obvious parameters are open to interpretation and poor implementation can easily turn a silk purse into a pigs ear. If you are 'building' you own drive units then, unless you have some very unusual requirements or are looking to make a visual statement (like the Volts) then you concentrate on putting the important bits together, the ones that make a real difference.

Vector calculus, electromagnetism, being able to model the heat equation pde, fourier analysis of cone break up/basket vibration etc, multivariate optimisation over time, matlab....it's not that complex really, just basic maths/physics.

Obviously you're completely right, putting together high quality parts well is the real skill, but there's rarely a need to get a custom unit as there are so many high quality parts available.

It amazes me there's so much "research" going on all the time at all these hifi companies. How many iterations of the same quality drive units do we really need in this world?

John Duncan

Alec said:
John Duncan said:
Alec said:
hoopsontoast said:
for a company that is entirely objective

Oh, I dunno. They get people with golden ears to listen to products before they leave the factory.

(sigh)

Hmmm?

For a company which trumpets its objectivity and its engineering capability (and derides every other manufacturer of hifi for having neither), its product assessments do appear to rely heavily on the opinions of 'golden-eared experts' and user reviews, whilst providing zero measurements to back it up.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
alienmango said:
davedotco said:
Building loudspeaker drive units is a complex skill, it requires expertise in many different disciplines, many of them far more complex than the shape or style of the basket. Think about it, are you really going to melt alloy and form your own baskets, with all the work that entails just to reinvent the wheel? Same with ferrite magnets, you virtually buy them by the pound, rectangular cross section wire for edge wound voicecoils, are you really going to draw your own? Almost all of the obvious parameters are open to interpretation and poor implementation can easily turn a silk purse into a pigs ear. If you are 'building' you own drive units then, unless you have some very unusual requirements or are looking to make a visual statement (like the Volts) then you concentrate on putting the important bits together, the ones that make a real difference.

Vector calculus, electromagnetism, being able to model the heat equation pde, fourier analysis of cone break up/basket vibration etc, multivariate optimisation over time, matlab....it's not that complex really, just basic maths/physics.

Obviously you're completely right, putting together high quality parts well is the real skill, but there's rarely a need to get a custom unit as there are so many high quality parts available.

It amazes me there's so much "research" going on all the time at all these hifi companies. How many iterations of the same quality drive units do we really need in this world?

Most speaker companies that 'build' their own speakers are really just assemblers, basket and magnet from here, cones from there, polepieces from somewhere else. However the variations that can be run with even quite standard 'components' is what I really meant by saying complex.

Playing with cones of different weights and stiffness, optimising voice coil gaps and flux density are just a couple of simple ways that manufactures can use to 'individualise' their products whilst still using 'standard' components and in a competitive market, that is important.

There is some "research" going on, the resurgence of ribbon tweeters being an obvious one, the emergence of small, powerful magnet assemblies that are actually affordable seems to be the driving force here, interesting to see where it goes.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Alec said:
John Duncan said:
Alec said:
hoopsontoast said:
for a company that is entirely objective

Oh, I dunno. They get people with golden ears to listen to products before they leave the factory.

(sigh)

Hmmm?

For a company which trumpets its objectivity and its engineering capability (and derides every other manufacturer of hifi for having neither), its product assessments do appear to rely heavily on the opinions of 'golden-eared experts' and user reviews, whilst providing zero measurements to back it up.

I have golden ears, but wasn't invited to listen and advise..
smiley-cool.gif

JB

John Duncan

JMacMan said:
I have golden ears, but wasn't invited to listen and advise..
smiley-cool.gif

JB

I think you'll find that's because "You're blind or you don't understand the measurements" (though admittedly that was while he was saying Class D - the technology used in their new speaker, if I recall - is rubbish).

TRENDING THREADS