(Gaming/Music) Current: Focal Listen - Want to upgrade

SirBlacklist

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Hello!

First-time poster but I've read through this forum a ton and decided my case is a bit different then what a lot of others posted or needed suggestions for.

USE: Gaming/Music
  1. Gaming
    1. FPS
    2. Immersive Titles
    3. MMO's
  2. Music (all over the place but currently listening to;)
    1. Rush
    2. Tool
    3. The Weeknd
    4. Zepplin
    5. Elton John

TRIED HEADPHONES: Sony 1000's, DT990SE , K712PRO , HE400i (Tried a lot of gaming headsets but I want audiophile quality so I did not list them)
  1. I thought the only 2 that sounded close to my Focal Listen Wireless Headphones were the K712s and the Sony 1000s.
  2. The K712 to loose on my head so it was a no go
  3. Sony was so close to the Focal's didn't seem like an upgrade

ISSUE:
  1. Inner Ear pain from the Focals for gaming I am assuming the long use and them being closed back are causing my ears to become very painful, NOT outside but inside my ear canal itself. I feel like its causing me to get headaches as well.
  2. I can't find a pair of headphones that is like the Focal that may be better for longer use and provide the same sound quality
  3. Primarily for gaming, music is secondary.
  4. Wondering if perhaps the above mentioned OPEN BACKs are better and I just need to pull the trigger and get used to a different sound for comfort?
PRICE: I would like to stay under $250 if possible I know the Focals are expensive but I got them as a gift from a Tattoo Client when I tattooed them.

AMP: My PC does have an AMP that I can push most of all headphones

If you need more information to help suggest some new cans let me know!

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond and help!

~Black

D

Deleted member 188533

I love my K712 Pro for gaming. That huge soundstage and the detail retrieval make them excellent but I don't have fit issues. I also still use my old HD598s for gaming. Give the HD599 a shot. It's an updated 598 with slightly better bass. The price is crazy right now though. Since you're listing US dollars I'm assuming you're in the US. Amazon usually has the regular 599s for $199 and they have an Amazon specific 599SE that's been as low as $120. Same headphone in a different color. They're like $250 right now.

The DT1990 Pro would be what I'd use if I played competitive FPS type games but I'm a boring single player gamer. I do still use them occasionally though. The imaging is spectacular. They also clamp like a new HD600/650 so they wouldn't fall off but they're out of your price range. Some people like the DT990s but the highs hurt my ears on any Beyers but the 1990.

Reactions: SirBlacklist

SirBlacklist

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
I love my K712 Pro for gaming. That huge soundstage and the detail retrieval make them excellent but I don't have fit issues. I also still use my old HD598s for gaming. Give the HD599 a shot. It's an updated 598 with slightly better bass. The price is crazy right now though. Since you're listing US dollars I'm assuming you're in the US. Amazon usually has the regular 599s for $199 and they have an Amazon specific 599SE that's been as low as $120. Same headphone in a different color. They're like $250 right now.

The DT1990 Pro would be what I'd use if I played competitive FPS type games but I'm a boring single player gamer. I do still use them occasionally though. The imaging is spectacular. They also clamp like a new HD600/650 so they wouldn't fall off but they're out of your price range. Some people like the DT990s but the highs hurt my ears on any Beyers but the 1990.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I wish the K712 Pros grabbed my head more, they felt like even at the tightest/smallest adjustment they were not tight... Or maybe I was missing something? I see in a lot of videos with them not looking as big as mine did on people but then again that could be marketing?

I have the 599s in wishlist and watching the pricing on them see if I can snag a good deal and try them out!

Thanks
~Black

D

Deleted member 188533

I believe Amazon is planning a big sale on the order of their yearly Amazon day for later this month. That would probably be a good time to pick up the 599s.

Were your K712s new? They fall in the realm of super comfortable to me. I could sling them off my head if I tried but for just normal use and even a little head bobbing to good music they stay in place just fine. They aren't tight but they really aren't supposed to be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts