Future 4K, 6K,8K etc

Dodger

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Having a 4K TV and a 4K Blu-rayer such as a Sony BDP 790 doesn't actually mean it will play a full 4K film when they are eventually released, this is what I so far understand. I am under the impression a 4K film will need a larger capacity disc and I also believe Sony will be the first to produce them. My question is will the present 4k players be able to read these larger capacity discs or do we have start from scratch?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Currently, there are no 4K Bluray players, only Bluray players that will upscale to 4K - they won't play 4K content from whatever disc format comes out in the future. Compatibility of forthcoming players and TVs is another issue...

What size discs are needed will partly depend on how much compression is used - it's all very well saying that watching a 4K movie is watching it as the Director intended, but if it is compressed to hell trying to fit it on a small disc sort of defeats the point.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It was said, back last month, that 4K Bluray will land in late 2015. No doubt there will be incompatibilty problems with existing sets, that will need new tvs to be purchased, 'to get the very best out of the new technology'.

How much, I wonder, will these 4k blurays be, to purchase your films - just one more time?

I certainly won't be changing to a new 4k tv till 4k Bluray actually floats, as a year is a long time in the advance of streaming services. There must be a good chance that 4K Bluray will bomb, if it gets to market.

D

Deleted member 2457

relocated said:
It was said, back last month, that 4K Bluray will land in late 2015. No doubt there will be incompatibilty problems with existing sets, that will need new tvs to be purchased, 'to get the very best out of the new technology'.

How much, I wonder, will these 4k blurays be, to purchase your films - just one more time?

I certainly won't be changing to a new 4k tv till 4k Bluray actually floats, as a year is a long time in the advance of streaming services. There must be a good chance that 4K Bluray will bomb, if it gets to market.
Agreed. I ain't buying it!

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
cant agree the only way you will really see what your 4k tv can do will hopefully be from 4k blueray with hd audio bring it on,what are you gonna do watch 1080p or less,or stream highly compressed with dd.

D

Deleted member 2457

his dudeness said:
cant agree the only way you will really see what your 4k tv can do will hopefully be from 4k blueray with hd audio bring it on,what are you gonna do watch 1080p or less,or stream highly compressed with dd.
1080p on Oled with master audio and Dolby true high definition will do me for the next 10 years, if my TV lasts that long.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
for sure on a 1080p tv,but little point buying a 4k tv to watch lower resolutions,much better to get a full hd oled like your own and at a better price.

D

Deleted member 2457

his dudeness said:
for sure on a 1080p tv,but little point buying a 4k tv to watch lower resolutions,much better to get a full hd oled like your own and at a better price.
Yep.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The Japanese are going to broadcast the 2020 Olympics in 8k, so how long is 4K going to last? About the length of a 5 year warranty perhaps, which you might submit to for a screen but not for yet another [8K] box-set of Alien etc.

8K will only succeed if there's a high uptake, which I don't think will happen unless there's a radical shift in TV technology, so they replace large windows panes. You need at least an 85 inches TV to appreciate 8K. So it's safe to assume that people should first be willing to buy TVs of that size.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
You need at least an 85 inches TV to appreciate 8K. So it's safe to assume that people should first be willing to buy TVs of that size.

Well, considering that with a lottery win or if my pension fund (eventually) pays as much as I think it would my current dream television would be the Samsung UE85H7500, count me in!! (You won't be surprised to hear me say that!)

(PS By about midday tomorrow, check that other thread about the Yamaha 3040 and Dolby Atmos. I found out something today about Dolby Atmos which is food for thought, but now I'm off to eat and watch late-night television in my bedroom, so I'll do it tomorrow morning. *smile*)

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is your 4K content provider. Well possible one anyway.

http://www.red.com/products/redray

Though it will be possible to fit a 4K image on a larger capacity Blu-ray disc. There was talk of a 3 layered 100gig BD (currently 2 layers at 50gig), It will still have to be really compressed. Currently an uncompressed 1080 res video is only better than the comressed picture we get on BD by quite a small margin. We'd all have to buy HD CAM SR machines and the film industry would have to make the tapes available like VHS to get to see that quality at home. These tapes are almost twice the size of VHS so I don't think it's going to happen somehow.

However I would imagine the picture quality difference between a 100gig BD with compressed 4K content and an uncompressed 4K file to be huge.

BB, I know it is possible to see the difference between 2K and 4K on say a 65" TV and smaller too but I still think we only get the full benifit of 4K from about 80" and upwards and 8K will only be worth having from about a small cinema screen and up. You only really get the full benefit of 1080 50" and up.

Yeah you'll see the difference but what a waste of all that picture looking at it on such a small screen relative to the resolution.

That's my thoughts anyway.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Why do you say that, gel? Right now, in late 2014, a 4K television is not much more expensive, if at all, than a 1080p OLED television of the same size.
4K at 40inches will make no difference so rip-off, Samsung 55 flagship is £2500 rip off. The Panasonic 55 inches flagship 4K at £3500 a rip off. Not to mention buying a 4k Blu-Ray player when it comes out, and possibly an amp too.

Oled £1850 at the moment, new one £2200 at Costco. Not to mention if current 4K TVs are capatable or not. People are saying 80inches is ok for 4K, this is crazy!

D

Deleted member 2457

I always said when I bought my home cinema system to get master audio and 1080p that would be enough for me, and I plan to stick to that, you have to draw a line somewhere.

gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Why do you say that, gel? Right now, in late 2014, a 4K television is not much more expensive, if at all, than a 1080p OLED television of the same size.
4K at 40inches will make no difference so rip-off, Samsung 55 flagship is £2500 rip off. The Panasonic 55 inches flagship 4K at £3500 a rip off. Not to mention buying a 4k Blu-Ray player when it comes out, and possibly an amp too.

Oled £1850 at the moment, new one £2200 at Costco. Not to mention if current 4K TVs are capatable or not. People are saying 80inches is ok for 4K, this is crazy!

You're comparing a hugely discounted 2013 OLED with the latest 2014 4K TVs, not a fair comparison. Let's see what these 4K TVs cost this time next year. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

You're comparing a hugely discounted 2013 OLED with the latest 2014 4K TVs, not a fair comparison. Let's see what these 4K TVs cost this time next year. :)
True, but I can't see them coming down the same in price but they possibly might have to.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
I always said when I bought my home cinema system to get master audio and 1080p that would be enough for me, and I plan to stick to that, you have to draw a line somewhere.

Watch this space in 6 to 12 months pal :)
*biggrin*

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Seems people are forgetting that it's not only films that will be coming out on 4K BD format.
I have a Samsung Alpha smartphone that quite happily records video in 4K resolution and the HD still photos I take with my Sony digital camera meet and exceed 4K resolution.
Without mentioning the obvious NetFlix 4K streaming, there is still plenty of sources that take advantage of UHD screens right here right now.

Prices are falling too, here in Norway a good Samsung 55" UHD set costs around £800 and you can pick up the Philips 50" UHD for less than £600.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts