Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Cannot Get My Head Around This TBH.....
There is hardly any 4K yet on
There is hardly any 4K yet on terrestrial TV to show 4K .......a few trialist stations is ALL )....and now we have firms talking about And bringing out 8K TV..... just all seems rather stupid to me now tbh ?

My last blue-ray player, a Sony seemed to promise that IT would be future-proof'd, something the Actual 'What -Hi-Fi' folks and other places online all promised, turns out that this is NOT so, my over £200.00 Sony Blu-Ray player does NOT play a 4k Blu-Ray, never will neither ?

The TV which I bought was a Pana Flagship model, again like the Sony Blu-Ray Player promising all sorts for it being 'Future-Proof'd'.... yet it doesn't even do HDR.

More informative info NEEDS to be forthcoming I would say, for ANY item being 'looked-at' by not Only the What-Hi-Fi folks but everyone and all giving info about new TV's, Blu-Ray-Players etc and 4K, the BEST OF THE BEST, now going to have to play second fiddle to 8K......which I just do not see ever happening any time soon , at least here in GB as Most ordinary folks are only Now starting to get themselves the 4k Branded TV's with Little or NO 4K programs to even see/watch.

AV equipment can only futureproofed for current and emerging technology over next 1-2 years. You can never get an AV equipment that's futureproofed forever. Blu ray players were future proofed for blu rays, but 4K blu rays were always on the cards and it was common knowledge that blu ray players will not be able to play 4K blu rays, as different technologies are employed.

8K and even 16K will be in the works. Don't forget that it takes a number of years for any technology to become mainstream. It'll be another 4-5 years at least before 8K starts gaining any foothold.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There are limits. If new technology comes out that needs different hardware / circuitry, they can't just send a patch to your telly via the internet to make it work. What annoys me are the things which 'could' be fixed with a downloadable firmware patch, but aren't, because they want you to go out and buy a new TV instead. Like my old Panasonic TV which would play .MOV and .WMV movies but not .MP4. A firmware patch could have added that codec instantly, but no, Panasonic would rather I went out and bought a new TV that will play .MP4. I did buy one eventually, though not for that reason.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Don’t worry about 8K. 4K is ideal for 7ft-15ft projector screens, so 8K is going to be more ideal for 12ft-20ft and beyond, so nothing to really worry about for domestic situations.

+1

I can see a certain type of person chomping at the bit to get one up on the Joneses by having an 8K TV, but for most of us, 4K will be all we ever need in a domestic situation (unless, of course, you're planning to devote an entire wall to a TV display or are some kind of video game nerd that ansolutely demands a wrap-around experience or something).

Where I do see a future for 8K is in cinemas, which have virtually all gone over to digital projectors now, and perhaps in big outdoor screens of the type you see at sports stadia or music venues.

When it comes to 8K LCD / LED Tvs, I think the secret, real, driver might be that there is a finite maximum size they can made the individual pixels, which in turn limits how big they can make the overall panels. If, say, they want to quadruple the viewing area of a panel from say 8 sq. ft. to 32 sq. ft. and currently have to put four individual LEDs in the space that they would ideally like to put one big LED into, why not make each of those four little LEDS individually contollable, and voila! 8K TV.

The other aspect to take into account is upscaling. With 1080p screens, Blurays look fantastic, but upscaled DVDs look quite mediocre, and some pretty awful. With 4K screens, UHD Blurays look fantastic, while upscaled 1080p Blurays look great, but upscaled DVD really starts to look soft. With an 8K screen, native 8K material will look fantastic, clean looking UHD Blurays will look pretty good, Blurays will look mediocre, and DVD will look like VHS. The bigger the screen. The worse the results.

The more a format has to be upscaled, the worse it is going to look, regardless of how good that upscaling is. The above would presume high quality upscaling. If anyone is going to expect budget 8K media players to look good with all formats, they’re sadly mistaken.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Honestly this is a joke... Here in the UK we yet to get any form of free broadcast of 4k content. 4k has been around since 2012 and much early in the States, yet we here talking about 8k?... So much compatibility problems and empty promises with eye catching sales tatics to buy the next tech. So much of the tech lays dormant so you buy the next tech to lay dormant again. I'm not upgrading till my current TV set stops working all together. *dash1*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about 8k for some years yet. Like you said, we first need more 4k content.

Christ, much is still in Low standard resolution.

daveh75

Alantiggger said:
Cannot Get My Head Around This TBH.....
There is hardly any 4K yet on
There is hardly any 4K yet on terrestrial TV to show 4K .......a few trialist stations is ALL )....and now we have firms talking about And bringing out 8K TV.....
There's no UHD broadcast on terrestrial TV at all, nor is there ever likely to be because of the lack of bandwidth on DTT.

But there's plenty of UHD content available if you're willing to pay for it

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Honestly this is a joke... Here in the UK we yet to get any form of free broadcast of 4k content. 4k has been around since 2012 and much early in the States, yet we here talking about 8k?...

We do this a lot. Jump on new bandwagons when we've only half-heartedly jumped on the last. Take mobile networks as an example: 5G is the new buzzword, and sure enough they'll be rolling it out to the usual metropoles just to say hey we've delivered 5G to the UK, aren't we amazing. But there are areas in the UK that can't even get good reliable 3G yet, let alone 4G, and maybe they'll get 5G when we get a King George VII.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
More likely to be when you get a KING Mary or a QUEEN Henry....

For normal TV viewing in normal size homes for people with normal eyes, 4K is already at or above the limit of the eyeball's ability to distinguish between individual pixels anyway, or so I am lead to believe, especially outside of the very narrow angle our eyes work at their best at (+/- 2 degrees off centre).

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
The PROMISE from Sony was that my £200.00 blu-ray player was 'future-proof'd..... AND ABLE to PLAY 4K...... (it does not) this was lies, as it doesn't !

The Sony 790.... or similar, ALL LIES !

Alantiggger said:
The PROMISE from Sony was that my £200.00 blu-ray player was 'future-proof'd..... AND ABLE to PLAY 4K...... (it does not) this was lies, as it doesn't !

Nobody can promise a blu ray player being able to play 4K discs. It would have advertised 4K upscaling, which is totally different.

abacus

HI end 8K sets will be out by the next world cup (The last Japanese Olympics were broadcast in 8K in Japan) which with improved internet speeds (5G should be faster than the current FTTC to the home) means you will be able to view it in this country.

I think it was Sharp (Or one that was demonstrating an 8K set) that said the additional pixels in 8K make it easier to upscale lower quality content then with the limited number of pixels in 4K, thus lower quality content will display better on an 8K set than a 4K set.

There is a boatload of 4K content out there from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc. so the idea that there isn’t, is just nonsense, (It’s just not over the air) plus both BT and Sky do 4K via there set top boxes so that is another avenue, and all that’s before you even need to think about 4K Blu-Ray.

Regarding lower quality content, most was recorded that way (It was top notch in the era that it was made) so it will always be around, (If you like old shows you will just have to accept it) that’s not the fault of the technology or broadcaster, it’s just a cold hard fact. (10 years or more from now people will be moaning about all the low quality 4K content they are being forced to watch on their 16K TVs, forgetting that’s just how it was recorded at the time, and was really high end)

Technology moves on, but no one ever forces you to buy it, until it is that cheap that you can pick it up with your weekly shop. (Everything in life has a limited lifespan)

Bill

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
The PROMISE from Sony was that my £200.00 blu-ray player was 'future-proof'd..... AND ABLE to PLAY 4K...... (it does not) this was lies, as it doesn't !

Not for all eternity...! The near future, a couple of years max if that!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
BBC still yet to boardcast local news in HD.... *unknw* I would say 95% of content is compressed anyway. Most so called 4k HDR disc are shot in 2k. It's a free world so everyone to their own I know where I stand. Anyway enough said. *drinks*

It’s most of the heavy special effects movies that are shot in 2K, or if they are shot in 4K, the special effects are rendered in 2K due to cost and time.

Non special effects movies will usually be shot in 4K, and older movies will be rescanned in 4K to produce a genuine 4K master. It’s only the odd lazy company that might use an upscaled 2K scan of an old movie intended for a normal Bluray remaster. If that makes sense!

Series1boy said:
Alantiggger said:
The PROMISE from Sony was that my £200.00 blu-ray player was 'future-proof'd..... AND ABLE to PLAY 4K...... (it does not) this was lies, as it doesn't !

Not for all eternity...! The near future, a couple of years max if that!
And this is why the price of even flagship models reduce to less than a quarter value after 2 years.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
HI end 8K sets will be out by the next world cup (The last Japanese Olympics were broadcast in 8K in Japan) which with improved internet speeds (5G should be faster than the current FTTC to the home) means you will be able to view it in this country.

Right after Lord Lucan rides Shergar down Oxford Street.... They can't meet the advertised broadband speeds now. What hope do you think there is of someone in, say a remote glen of Scotchland or a valley in Wales EVER getting the advertised speed?

abacus said:
I think it was Sharp (Or one that was demonstrating an 8K set) that said the additional pixels in 8K make it easier to upscale lower quality content then with the limited number of pixels in 4K, thus lower quality content will display better on an 8K set than a 4K set.

I think it'll probably have more to do with better algorithms (sp) than the number of pixels, but then that's just me, the cynic.

abacus said:
There is a boatload of 4K content out there from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc. so the idea that there isn’t, is just nonsense, (It’s just not over the air) plus both BT and Sky do 4K via there set top boxes so that is another avenue, and all that’s before you even need to think about 4K Blu-Ray.

Agreed. We get a boatload on Amazon and Netflix especially. We don't subscribe to any of the cable / satellite services and our terrestrial reception is so lousy as not worth bothering - typical for the US if you live more than a skyscraper's shadow length from the transmitter.

abacus said:
Regarding lower quality content, most was recorded that way (It was top notch in the era that it was made) so it will always be around, (If you like old shows you will just have to accept it) that’s not the fault of the technology or broadcaster, it’s just a cold hard fact. (10 years or more from now people will be moaning about all the low quality 4K content they are being forced to watch on their 16K TVs, forgetting that’s just how it was recorded at the time, and was really high end)

As ever, I am reminded of the guy who went into Radio Rentals back in the day, complaining his new-fangled colour telly still showed Laurel and Hardy films in black and white.

abacus said:
Technology moves on, but no one ever forces you to buy it, until it is that cheap that you can pick it up with your weekly shop. (Everything in life has a limited lifespan)

Agreed. By the time 3D holograms come out (and you actually get the advertised broadband speeds) we'll all be six feet under.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts