From floorstander to bookshelf; but which?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
In my room i can't have a floorstander anymore. I'm looking now at a bookshelf. My music (older) rock and metal like Nightwish, which sounded very bad on all i have heard. They are too bright. And i like a full bodied and warm sound. I liked the old Kef Reference from for the year 2000. Very nice and warm sound. Also the old Tannoy.

But i will try a modern speaker. What speakers will have what i'm looking for. My list:

Dynaudio 2/7

Harbeth

Kef R300

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Harbeths are particularly well-known for playing older rock (Sabbath, Zepp, Purple?) and symphonic Euro-metal. My pick from the three you've listed would be the Dynaudio first and then the KEFs.

What amp are you using?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:
In my room i can't have a floorstander anymore. I'm looking now at a bookshelf. My music (older) rock and metal like Nightwish, which sounded very bad on all i have heard. They are too bright. And i like a full bodied and warm sound.

Do you really mean 'bookshelf' speakers? (You are going to use them on shelves.)

Or do you mean stand-mount. (You will put them on speaker stands.)

If the latter, then why bother? Compact speakers on speaker stands will take up just as much room as many floorstanding speakers.

If they really are going on shelves (dedicated, small shelves/brackets just for the speakers preferably), then consider sealed cabinet speakers that are designed to sound good very near walls. ATC SCM11 are the ones that spring to mind. (Especially for your tastes in music.)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Floorstanders tend to need more space not because of the size but the sound, most are best 2-3 feet from walls otherwise they are boomy, some standmounts are designed to be near to a wall or are not fussy, think Harbeths are like that.

TRENDING THREADS