Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
No worries, though technically it was Mr Toast who provided the link :)

If you don't mind the front buttons being disabled, it looks like that's the best bet. If you would really like them re-enabled, there is a different Micom version that you can try, but it's not generally available. I may be able to lay my hands on it if you're interested though.

My thanks to Mr T also!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Another new update now available here.

This offers the following:

New Features
- Auto Folder creation for series bookings (Menu > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Series Folder Off/On)

Bug Fixes
- Non-stop recording issue is fixed
- Fixed the crash problem in case of illegal Date/Time is received from the signal
- Fixed the Initialise option at system logging which caused logging no usable
- Fixed the sorting problem for Radio recorded programmes

The easiest way to upgrade is to download the files from the above link, then copy them to the root of a USB stick (i.e. just the 8 files straight on to the USB stick, not contained within the folder). Next, switch on the Digital Stream and insert into one of the USB ports (front port is fine). Go to Menu > Others > Maintenance > Software Update. Once completed, allow to reboot and then go to Menu > Others > Diagnostics > System Information - it should now say 4.13.r8637 next to Application.

Alternatively, you can do the full reboot update via the method outlined here (there's no reason to though, unless you haven't performed an update in a very long time and need to get the new 1.33 version of the Micom). Bear in mind, if you do this, you will lose your scheduled recordings i.e. your list of programmes due to be recorded, not your actual recordings (this doesn't happen with the method outlined above). Therefore, if you do want to use this method, remember to backup your schedules to a USB stick before applying the update, through Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Backup DB. Once completed, apply the update, rescan all channels and then use the Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Restore DB to restore all your scheduled recordings and channels as they were before.

Another update is due November according to Digital Stream, but no indications as to what it will contain as yet.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Prof

I can't receive Mux D, Channel 55, and that appears to be because the transmitter (Sutton Coldfield) is on very low power for this frequency. I've been advised to try a manual retune on Ch 55 to see if the PVR can detect it that way, but when I go to the manual tune screen it is set at Ch 21 and I can't see a way to force it to look at Ch 55.

Any tips, or do I just need to wait till after phase two of the DSO on September 21st ?

bob.g

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bob.g said:
Prof

I can't receive Mux D, Channel 55, and that appears to be because the transmitter (Sutton Coldfield) is on very low power for this frequency. I've been advised to try a manual retune on Ch 55 to see if the PVR can detect it that way, but when I go to the manual tune screen it is set at Ch 21 and I can't see a way to force it to look at Ch 55.

Any tips, or do I just need to wait till after phase two of the DSO on September 21st ?

bob.g

Hi Bob

When I go to manual tuning section, it's default is Channel 21, but clicking OK on this then allows me to change it - I can see Channel 55 available in the list. Do you not get this?

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
No.

If I click 'Scan' on Ch 21 then it does just that, and returns 0 channels. I cannot see how to increment the channels to 55.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Professorhat,

The series link is recording just fine for all the rugby world cup and like you said match of the day thus far very happy.

I have tried using a scart and it seems i get no breakup that i can see however i have tried the digitalstream in a couple of different locations aerial points and seem to get break up on itv ch4 ch5 and all hd channels so it cant just be Hdmi or can it?

Signal seems stable however quality goes goes up and down like a yoyo on the system signal information bars.. Everything else is absolutley brilliant with the digital stream.

Could you think of or trying doing anything else??

Many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bob.g said:
No.

If I click 'Scan' on Ch 21 then it does just that, and returns 0 channels. I cannot see how to increment the channels to 55.

Don't click on Scan, highlight the Channel : 21 entry, then click the OK button on the remote. This should then bring up a new menu to change this to Channel 55.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
se7en said:
The series link is recording just fine for all the rugby world cup and like you said match of the day thus far very happy.

Good stuff!

se7en said:
I have tried using a scart and it seems i get no breakup that i can see however i have tried the digitalstream in a couple of different locations aerial points and seem to get break up on itv ch4 ch5 and all hd channels so it cant just be Hdmi or can it?

Signal seems stable however quality goes goes up and down like a yoyo on the system signal information bars.. Everything else is absolutley brilliant with the digital stream.

Could you think of or trying doing anything else??

Well, if it's okay on Scart, it sounds very much like it would be interference on the HDMI cable to me - I have seen a number of instances of this on another forum, so it's not uncommon. Do you have any other cables you can try? If not, maybe you can borrow one from a friend, or go into a local shop and explain the issue and ask if you can get a few to try and then bring them back if it makes no difference?

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, yes that works OK - except still no ch 55 available.

However now another problem - I've just loaded the 4.13 update (on the rear USB, as it didn't work on the front) but although the box works OK on video there's no sound - neither off air or on playback. Is this a known problem ?

bob.g

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bob.g said:
Thanks, yes that works OK - except still no ch 55 available.

Very bizarre - what number does it go up to? Mine goes up to Channel 69 in that list.

bob.g said:
However now another problem - I've just loaded the 4.13 update (on the rear USB, as it didn't work on the front) but although the box works OK on video there's no sound - neither off air or on playback. Is this a known problem ?

bob.g

Nope, not seen any reports of that either. How is your DS connected for sound i.e. is it direct to a TV via HDMI, or into an amplifier of some sort, and if so, how? Also, on the Menu > Preferences > AV Setup section, what do you have for the Dolby Digital setting?

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Professorhat,

I did a bit more digging into the breakup of signal on my digital stream and it is indeed happening with a scart lead as well as the hdmi.....

Is this a case of the digtal stream tuner issues i have read about or more that i need a signal booster to strengthen the signal into the digital stream.

Or would you suggest a change to the humax hdr foxt2 (possible better tuners) ??? Both very good boxes but the digital stream has better updates.

Many thanks once again

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Professorhat,

I did a bit more digging into the breakup of signal on my digital stream and it is indeed happening with a scart lead as well as the hdmi.....

Is this a case of the digtal stream tuner issues i have read about or more that i need a signal booster to strengthen the signal into the digital stream.

Or would you suggest a change to the humax hdr foxt2 (possible better tuners) ??? Both very good boxes but the digital stream has better updates.

Many thanks once again

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for fast response.

My channel 'list' also goes to Ch 69, but when I do a manual tune on Ch 55 there is no signal available. I guess I'll need to wait till phase two of the DSO.

Sound and picture go to an (old) amplifier from a scart on the PVR to video and audio left/right into the amp. All connections have been checked.

On Menu > Preferences > AV Setup / Dolby Digital the setting is Auto - and not altered since before the update.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bob.g said:
My channel 'list' also goes to Ch 69, but when I do a manual tune on Ch 55 there is no signal available. I guess I'll need to wait till phase two of the DSO.

Yes, sounds like it I think.

bob.g said:
Sound and picture go to an (old) amplifier from a scart on the PVR to video and audio left/right into the amp. All connections have been checked.

Could be worth running a separate red / white phono lead from the audio output connection on the PVR to the amp. I don't see why this would be required, but worth a try to see if it sorts the issue. Definitely worth reporting to MIT whatever the outcome though as this should work as you have it connected.

bob.g said:
On Menu > Preferences > AV Setup / Dolby Digital the setting is Auto - and not altered since before the update.

Try changing this to Off. Again, no reason why it should need changing so worth repoting to MIT even if it works to see if they can find the issue and get a fix.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've swapped the audio and video connections with those used by my Freesat box, which I know works, and still no sound. This proves that it's a software fault in the DS. I'll call MIT to discuss.

bob.g

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Problem solved. I called MIT and they advised me to run update 4.12 through the top rear USB port. I did this and now have sound.

Thanks

bob.g

A

Anonymous

professorhat thank you very very much for your great write up on the DHR-8205U it is so helpful.

You said there is another update and The easiest way to upgrade is to download the files from the above link, then copy them to the root of a USB stick (i.e. just the 8 files straight on to the USB stick, not contained within the folder.

So this is where I am a bit confused I downloaded the 3 updates there are 2 zip files and another file called Release.
I unziped the zip files and got 2 image files, 1 bin file, 3 files don't know what kind they are and 2 more zip files now I have 7 assorted files and 2 new zip files do I unzip the new zip files?

Sorry for babbling on but I really don't understand what to do I did an update in August and don't remember having any problems.

Thank you for any help.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, sorry for the late reply, was away for the weekend.

At the moment, there are three downloads, which actually represent two different updates available (link here), labelled thusly:

4.13.r8637-FVU (9th Sep. 2011) DOWN
Major improvements-413 DOWN
4.13.r8638-FVU (For BBC HD Audio Downmix) DOWN
Number 1 is the standard update and number 2 is a PDF file which just contains details of the new features and bugfixes of the update. Number 3 is a different version of the update for people who just use certain settings in stereo - the issue is that the BBC keep fiddling with the sound codecs and formats of some of their programming on BBC HD and this gives issues for some people using stereo setups when some 5.1 programmes are shown. For people with these issues, number 3 contains a different firmware which fixes this (hence why it's labelled "For BBC HD Audio Downmix").

So, to update, you need to use either the file linked under number 1, or the update linked under number 3. I would recommed using number 1 first, and then only applying the number 3 update if you find you're getting issues with sound on some 5.1 programmes on BBC HD.

Hope this clarifies things, let me know if you need more info.

A

Anonymous

Thank you again you are a star :grin:

I will do it tomorrow as I won't be home tonight.

Edit to say I did it this morning and it worked a treat thank you :clap:

A

Anonymous

I bought a digital stream some time ago but had to return it as I could not pick up HD channels. That problem has now been sorted and I think I will go ahead and get one. Now I know there are over 200 posts on this topic and I don't have time to read them all. My question is this, I will have to do firmware updates. How many updates are required and are their links? I have a data traveller usb which should be compatible.

thanks

A

Anonymous

I bought a digital stream some time ago but had to return it as I could not pick up HD channels. That problem has now been sorted and I think I will go ahead and get one. Now I know there are over 200 posts on this topic and I don't have time to read them all. My question is this, I will have to do firmware updates. How many updates are required and are their links? I have a data traveller usb which should be compatible.

thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1 said:

thanks

You probably will have to do an update (but only the one to the latest version) - current version is 4.13. To check, once you have it, go to Menu > Others > Diagnostics > System Information - it should now say 4.13.r8637 next to Application.

To update, follow the process I've detailed below in a previous response. Also, note the post a little bit further up this page about the three downloads.

professorhat said:
Another new update now available here.

This offers the following:

New Features
- Auto Folder creation for series bookings (Menu > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Series Folder Off/On)

Bug Fixes
- Non-stop recording issue is fixed
- Fixed the crash problem in case of illegal Date/Time is received from the signal
- Fixed the Initialise option at system logging which caused logging no usable
- Fixed the sorting problem for Radio recorded programmes

The easiest way to upgrade is to download the files from the above link, then copy them to the root of a USB stick (i.e. just the 8 files straight on to the USB stick, not contained within the folder). Next, switch on the Digital Stream and insert into one of the USB ports (front port is fine). Go to Menu > Others > Maintenance > Software Update. Once completed, allow to reboot and then go to Menu > Others > Diagnostics > System Information - it should now say 4.13.r8637 next to Application.

Alternatively, you can do the full reboot update via the method outlined here (there's no reason to though, unless you haven't performed an update in a very long time and need to get the new 1.33 version of the Micom). Bear in mind, if you do this, you will lose your scheduled recordings i.e. your list of programmes due to be recorded, not your actual recordings (this doesn't happen with the method outlined above). Therefore, if you do want to use this method, remember to backup your schedules to a USB stick before applying the update, through Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Backup DB. Once completed, apply the update, rescan all channels and then use the Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Restore DB to restore all your scheduled recordings and channels as they were before.

Another update is due November according to Digital Stream, but no indications as to what it will contain as yet.

A

Anonymous

Hi Professor,

It has been ages since I was on these forums and actually logged in to post a reply to anything. I came back for advice on PVR's because the analogue signal has been turned off where my grandad (84) lives and he was no longer able to record anything on his VHS. I initially headed straight for the reviews and thought Humax was the way forward. But then I checked the forums and found this unbelievably informative post. Of course this threw another box into the mix and I spent another hour or so doing more research to see if it was the right thing to get seeing as I had not heard the name before.

Well, I bought it from John Lewis on a price match for £149.99. I matched it to one on sale in Maplin. The floor manager couldn't beleive that I managed to get it so cheap. They were incredibly helpful in store. I had intially called up to see if they could do me a price match over the phone but I was told it would be 48 hours. I needed it quick because of travelling to my grandads to set it all up, so I decided to go into Bluewater John Lewis anyway, buy the item and then get the price match retrospectively. But thanks to the excellent staff in the AV department, they looked it up on-line and honoured it immediately. AWESOME!!

I set it up and did the update mentioned above with no effort whatsoever. I find the box incredibly intuitive and didn't even need to open the instructions. My grandad on the other hand is struggling somewhat. Although he was able to successfully program an old panny VHS to timer record (which I can remember being a quite difficult task where I often found myself recording the wrong channel or missing the program altogether) he cannot even begin to grasp the EPG. I also spent 30 minutes teaching him how to turn the subtitles on and off.

Anyway, what I mean to say is thank you Professor! You have helped me a few years back with my own AV kit (would you believe that before coming to these forums I thought Bose Acoustimass was the best thing you could get!!!), you have helped me with this and I am sure I will find one of your posts again to help me in spending my dough on whatever tech should be available in the future.

And now the pun.... Hats off to you good fellow!

Tom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts