Found all of my old Albums.....might have to get a turntable....

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Visited my parents yesterday and my dear old mum said she'd found all of my old albums and was about to throw them out.

About 250 in total. The ones that didn't go to parties or were not lent out are pristine.

Some were stored in old picnic cooler boxes and the remainder crammed into old record boxes.

Most have been replaced over the years with CD's and downloads (both legal and illegal) and of course Spotify.

Fine selection of Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Eagles, Queen, the doors,10cc, Peter Gabriel, mono Beatles and Stones (my older brother's) and some dodgy 80's 12" singles.

My 11 and 9 year old kids were mesmerised by the look of them and even asked what they were!

I've got no plans of offloading them anywhere though.

They will either go in the loft for ongoing storage or I might have to get a turntable and phono stage. Any recommendations on a turntable on a tight budget - in case the turntable is just a whim....

A

Anonymous

Just talking of dodgy 12" singles form the '80s, yesterday i cleaned and played some of the same.. Donald Byrd, Mezzoforte (Garden Party is still rather good!) Level 42 to name a few!

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
The 80's - ropey extended dance mix heaven......There were a couple of level 42's in the rediscovered collection, some frankie, simple minds, pet shop boys,go west and a few new orders and many more. Plus a full set of Peter Gabriels...

Must be getting on a bit though.....I tend to prefer the album versions now...

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Pete Shields:
Visited my parents yesterday and my dear old mum said she'd found all of my old albums and was about to throw them out.

About 250 in total. The ones that didn't go to parties or were not lent out are pristine.

Some were stored in old picnic cooler boxes and the remainder crammed into old record boxes.

Most have been replaced over the years with CD's and downloads (both legal and illegal) and of course Spotify.

Fine selection of Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Eagles, Queen, the doors,10cc, Peter Gabriel, mono Beatles and Stones (my older brother's) and some dodgy 80's 12" singles.

My 11 and 9 year old kids were mesmerised by the look of them and even asked what they were!

I've got no plans of offloading them anywhere though.

They will either go in the loft for ongoing storage or I might have to get a turntable and phono stage. Any recommendations on a turntable on a tight budget - in case the turntable is just a whim....

A project essential or Genie would get you started and loving those albums again.

A

Anonymous

Your best bet is either a Rega, a Pro-ject Xpression, or (and this would be my choice) going second hand for a good Technics SL 1300/1500/1700 or similar. The Mk 2s are better because the speed is quartz locked. Other good bets are Pioneer PL 12 and 112s, plus some of the Sony models.

For a phono stage the Rega Fono Mini is good, as are the Cambridge Audio ones. The CA 640P allows you to use MC cartridges, which is a bonus.

I'd avoid the cheaper Pro-jects. Heard them, admittedly through expensive gear, on the weekend which put me right off. Any of the second hand TTs I've mentioned should comfortably out-perform them.

Edit: Heard the Essential and the Debut III, not the other one.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have the genie 2 and it is very good for my needs but i would say that whatever £150-£250 deck you go, get from new and ask to pay £30 more and upgrade your cart to a 2m red or something at a similar level. and then a phono stage so you are looking at near £300.

but i can bet a small wage that it will get you hooked

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts