FORUM - TIME TO MAKE A STAND

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
insider9 said:
- classifieds (we're forced to use eBay and are unable to trade/exchange goods easily within forum)
This would need a very active moderation to weed out scammers, and WHF would expose themselves to all sorts of litigations from users who've been scammed.

- invites to HQ to take part in bake offs / reviews

- previews of newly reviewed / released gear or some kind of exclusive content
This used to happen regularly. There was a feature called "The Big Question" for which we regularly got invited. I was in one of them (that article never made it online but was in the print mag). I remember there was an article on a forum member who demoed different blu ray players.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
In reply to the OP, we have had a massive spam problem over the last few months (particularly from China and Russia) and have been desperately trying to contain it. Unfortunately, our current spam filter - Mollom - has been struggling to cope, so we are looking at alternatives.

I have spent countless hours over the last few weeks working with our tech team to try and manage the problem. Initially we had to turn off site registration completely, then we turned it back on with email approval for all new registrants, but the massive volume of requests we had each day (all of which had to be manually checked) proved unworkable.

Yesterday we temporarily turned email approval off, but again spam got through, so until we can implement a better filter I'm afraid we've had to turn site registration off again. I know this is madly frustrating (for us as well!) but we are working on it in the background.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It is a big flaky but not that bad, the only issues I see are duplicated posts and the irritating need to put a code in to post. The plus's far outweigh the negatives. Spammers are easy to spot and to avoid.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's normal to have spam posted on forums. What the complaint is about is no followup by mods even after reporting it. If the forum had mods you wouldn't even need approved members list and such complications. Mods are free, many would gladly volunteer and sign a TOA that leaves Haymarket legally comfortable.

Probably the thing that annoys everyone on mobile is the jumping site because the ad space isn't preset in size, so it streches and makes everything jump as page loads. A simple fix anyone who knows css and html can apply, with no negative effect on your ad revenue.

Loosing text while posting is solved with autosave feature in the editor. But if you didn't use anti-spam features instead of volunteer mods this would rarely come up as an issue since most ppl loose their posts due to the antispam bot. But if you want to look smart autosave is something you want.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Andy, a lot of the reaction on here is due to a lack of communication. Get some info on the website if you are looking to change the spam filter. Alter the sign-up and let people know. We assume there is no management going on, and therefore out pops the threat of a boycott, or migration to other sites

And by the way, I think most of the Major's ideas are worthy of consideration. This site has been poor since its inception.

1. Get something changed. You are paying for a poor service. Other sites are much better.

2. TALK to us, for god's sake

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am suprised that Haymarket don't have a common 'platform' for their websites and associated fora.

For reference i've just been looking at the forum over at 'Practical Caravan' (a Haymarket website and publication) and it looks completely different. They seem to have very active moderation from some of the feedback I read there.

(Their search is excellent and quick.)

Can't your 'tech team'/person look to other Haymarket publications (that are getting their websites and fora right) for ideas?

insider9

chebby said:
I am suprised that Haymarket don't have a common 'platform' for their websites and associated fora.

For reference i've just been looking at the forum over at 'Practical Caravan' (a Haymarket website and publication) and it looks completely different. They seem to have very active moderation from some of the feedback I read there.

Can't your 'tech team'/person look to other Haymarket publications (that are getting their websites and fora right) for ideas? 

+1

chebby said:

That's a great idea!

The generic forum sites can work pretty well, as long as they resize for tablets and phones. Most seem to.

I like the ideas for improvements too, and personally would be happy to have a private message facility. That said, I've twice gone via a mag editor who had kindly put me in touch with another member.

I'd love the staff to contribute more, especially an expert like Ketan, but I'm sure he's busy on paid work.

I also think one needs an occasional break from a forum. I know valued members like Cno and Vlad have had a few months off, and I've done so a couple of times at least. Most of us have other hobbies, families, and life events that require attention too!

I do enjoy the controversies here, and the diversity of viewpoints. The other few HiFi forums I look at can be very predictable. I'd rather this one remained than not, that's for sure. (But then I'd rather read reviews first in my subscription than here, for free, but that's another story!)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I reckon caravaning is much more fulfilling than hifi anyway and we can retain our Nerd status.

We should all migrate over there.

Interdisciplinary hobby - hifi caravanning and audiophile cable knitting.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just filled in the mini questionnaire/ feedback request on this forum and prompted me to wonder why many forumites here are reporting so many technical glitches when I don't experience many issues at all.

I tend to use the forum 90% of the time on my iPad. Those who report lots of glitches, what equipment do you use to access the forum? Could it be that the forum is more problematic with certain platforms / operating systems?

If you included the OS you principally use on the feedback form, it might help point WHF staff in the right direction. Just a suggestion.

insider9

Since some of you are asking about other forums I'd recommend Hifiwigwam. Even if just so you can see and compare of how a forum can be organised and what it can offer to it's forum members.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Since some of you are asking about other forums I'd recommend Hifiwigwam. Even if just so you can see and compare of how a forum can be organised and what it can offer to it's forum members.

Vast amounts of advertising and what used to be an enthusiasts' website now overtaken by the lure of lucre?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts