Forum is not iPad compatible

rbantges

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy reading the FORUM and the it's even more convenient to do so from my iPad. However, the message field in the FORUM has a problem with the iPad. I can write in the Subject field, but that's pretty pointless if I can't write in the message field.

Has anyone else reported this problem? If so, are the any fixes (apart from Jail-breaking my iPad), or any plans to make the FORUM website compatible?

Cheers,

Rich

rbantges

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

Great, will look forward to it. There are lots of quirky things about the iPad that mean I'll still be using a PC.

Are there any plans to make an digital version of What HiFi? I'd pay a monthly subscription to get a PDF version or something similar (saving trees etc.).

Rich

John Duncan

It's not so much iPad-incompatible as Safari-incompatible (and by inference, Chrome-incompatible). The new forum won't solve it completely, but it will at least allow you to use plain text editing on the fly (until we have the opportunity to try using an alternative text editor to TinyMCE).

rbantges

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I can however, if you wish, set your forum settings to use the plain text editor, which removes the handy formatting and linking buttons, but will at least allow you to post from an iPad...

Hi John, yes please, that would be great. I don't really use the formattting in my replies anyway. Just as long as I can quote the text that I'm replying to. Sorry for the delay in replying, but I only had access to my iPad yesterday.

Many thanks,
Rich

PS Please let me know when a beta / release version of the FORUM is available that's iPad compatible and I'll happily test it out.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:It's not so much iPad-incompatible as Safari-incompatible (and by inference, Chrome-incompatible).

That explains a lot struggled a lot with links etc in chrome for ages but never thought too much about it, Responding via a pad is impossible have one to play with and found it really frustrating.

scene

JohnDuncan:I can however, if you wish, set your forum settings to use the plain text editor, which removes the handy formatting and linking buttons, but will at least allow you to post from an iPad...

Call me thick, if you must, but which "forum setting" changes you to a plain text editor?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
rbantges: Has anyone else reported this problem? If so, are the any fixes (apart from Jail-breaking my iPad), or any plans to make the FORUM website compatible?

I couldn't reply from my iPhone last night either.

A

Anonymous

me too - I can't ipad surf the forums either for this reason too.

scene

Andrew Everard:It's something we have to do from this end, I think. Want me to switch you over so you can try? Can always switch back if it doesn't help...

Thanks for the offer - I'm at work at the moment, and my iPad's tucked up safely at home... I think I need to find idc's post on how to post the hard way before I go all text editor and html... OK found it - read it

OK Mr. E. Please send me back to the Forum Dark Ages...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene:OK Mr. E. Please send me back to the Forum Dark Ages...

Done, should take effect next time you log in. Let me know if you want to revert, either here or via email

scene

Andrew Everard:

Done, should take effect next time you log in. Let me know if you want to revert, either here or via email

OK, Thanks - Yes, I am now have all the fun of text-based html editing
emotion-8.gif

Will see how I get on with the iPad tonight...

scene

JohnDuncan:It's not so much iPad-incompatible as Safari-incompatible (and by inference, Chrome-incompatible). The new forum won't solve it completely, but it will at least allow you to use plain text editing on the fly (until we have the opportunity to try using an alternative text editor to TinyMCE).
BTW: is this still a problem with the latest version of tinyMCE (3.3.8?)

scene

Only ask, as I know tinyMCE is iPad/iPod/Safari incompatible, but that since 3.3.4 (I think - April 2010 release) they added code so it wouldn't initialise on iPod/iPad - don't know, but thought this might help solve the problem...

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

I had the same prob on my phone I turned of java script and this worked

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:It's not so much iPad-incompatible as Safari-incompatible (and by inference, Chrome-incompatible). The new forum won't solve it completely, but it will at least allow you to use plain text editing on the fly (until we have the opportunity to try using an alternative text editor to TinyMCE).

TinyMCE IS Safari compatible... we're migrating one of our websites to TinyMCE from the old HTMLArea as that didn't work in Safari...

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Mr. Everard kindly set my account so that I could post using my iPhone. Would this be what's precluding me from adding an avatar to my account? I've tried in both Safari and Firefox on both OSX and Windows.

Many thanks,

Tom

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Done - but that's not the avatar problem. Email your picture at whathifi@haymarket.com, with your username and the word 'avatar' in the subject line, and I'll upload it for you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts