For an open, uber detailed sound, which interconnect?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey all,

After it being brought to my attention (correctly), that my Van Den Hul Thunderline interconnect was complete rubbish, I have now removed it from the system. It's temporarily being replaced with a cheapie Monster job that was gathering dust in the cupboard (£20, but is much better than the Thunderline, which was £85).

So, need a new interconnect.

I'm all about the detail, I want to hear everything that a track contains in a spacious, natural way. With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've made a shortlist myself, if i'm making a boo boo with any of them, please don't hold back from telling me.

So, the shortlist is:

1. Atlas Equator Superior

2. Chord Chameleon Silver Plus

3. Van Den Hul The Wave

4. Atlas Navigator (This is top end of the budget, but if it's good enough, I don't mind spending it).

Please feel free to make any other suggestions.

If any of the WHF staff would like to participate, i'd like that.

A

Anonymous

What you've described as your requirement actually sounds like Silver High Breed interconnects to some extent. Detailed and very open. Go to their site and give one of their limited edition cables a shot for £20 or so. I think they only have 1/2m cables left at present.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I went from a VDH 'The Bay' to my Kimber Silver Streaks. Polar opposite. Much more detailed, much wider soundstage better in pretty much all areas.

I wouldn't use it if you consider your current sound as bright though, it does favour the leaner side of neutral (not much though). It was just what I was after, and the addition of some Rothwell attenuators a few months back made a slight shift back towards warm. Combined, the sound is spectacularly good.

A

Anonymous

@igglebert thanks for this tip, I'd been laboriously tracking chord chameleon silver cables on ebay, which tend to go for 50-70 pounds second hand, this silver high breed seems like a steal and 05.m is perfect. I needed a new interconnect, as I'd borrowed the chord crimson interconnect from the CDP to hook up my Beresford.

18.90 including delivery is a bargain, the reviews seem positive too.

A

Anonymous

Yeh i would go for it at that price. Got mine in a 0.75m for a couple of quid more and its great for the cash, lovely airy sound and proper tight bass. But straight out of the box it was slightly harsh a high volume and did sound much better after i had run it in my system for a good 15 hours plus, which i recommend you do first before you have a proper listening session.

A

Anonymous

If you don't like the SHB interconnect then wait until he sells out (nearly now) or changes product (again) and you can ebay with ease. I'm using one over and above a Chord Chameleon Silver Plus right now as it suits the tonal balance more.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
one off:new speakers and amp wire wont do it you ask too much

The electronics of my system have the qualities I like in spades (Have you never heard the Rogers? you're missing out, buddy!). The cable that i'm after is not to add anything that my system doesn't already have, but to fully unleash the strengths that it does.

A

Anonymous

cables like that dont exist in this galaxy try plinius or naim with wilson benesch or t+a and canton now thats serious hifi

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:I went from a VDH 'The Bay' to my Kimber Silver Streaks. Polar opposite. Much more detailed, much wider soundstage better in pretty much all areas.I wouldn't use it if you consider your current sound as bright though, it does favour the leaner side of neutral (not much though). It was just what I was after, and the addition of some Rothwell attenuators a few months back made a slight shift back towards warm. Combined, the sound is spectacularly good.

Cheers for the suggestion, big guy. I would say that my system has a bright side of neutral sound, especially at volume. So, maybe the Kimbers wouldn't be ideal.

By the way, 'Catch 33' turned up today. Great. Love it. and the fact it's a HDCD means it sounds fooking fantastic. Meshuggah are fast becoming one of my favourite bands. Hopefully the Opeth will get here tomorrow.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
one off:cables like that dont exist in this galaxy try plinius or naim with wilson benesch or t+a and canton now thats serious hifi

Tried Naim and T+A with Wilson Benesch Square two,. when I was auditioning systems. Not a fan. Especially of the T+A and the WB, which I found to be seriously overpriced rubbish.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:What you've described as your requirement actually sounds like Silver High Breed interconnects to some extent. Detailed and very open. Go to their site and give one of their limited edition cables a shot for £20 or so. I think they only have 1/2m cables left at present.

Cheers, Igg.

For £20, It's stupid not to try them! I'm gonna wait till he get's the .75m's back in.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I didn't have any positive results with VandenHull, if your system is bright the VandenHull can soften things up but it's only a cheap way of trying to live with a faulty system in my opinion.

I had very positve results so far with Wireworld mains cables, and i tried many before them, so i guess they may have very good interconnects to, i don't know.

I never buy a cable judging by reviews, i just try many cables at my home and compare them.

But here is some insider info, if your budget can stretch to the 150 to250£ category the smartlink from John van Ghent and the Array interlink from holland can beat 1000£ interconnects.

If not i have very good experiences with a self made interconnect from AG audio, you can find them on Ebay and it has more musical energy then the soft and music muffled away vandenhull or QED's.

I would like to know if Atlas is any good, they have good reviews on What Hifi, but there aren't available in my country.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I would second the Russ Andrews cables. I have some myself but I (At the time) replaced them with some AWESOME cables off TM3 on ebay (Unfortunately, looks like they dont do them anymore or theyve seriously put the price up from what they were)

Personally I now use HGA silver cables (Cost ~ expensive), which are far and away the best cables ive ever used

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I had a van den hul vms 102 III and i found them quite harsh on my system. The kimber pbj were much better and not bright at all. The Nordost BH are excellent for detail and may be to bright on bright systems but great on a warm to neutral system (fast, lean, detailed).

Cheers,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

then try krell, kudos or something you miss the point wire cant give you what you want its only wire not magic

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
one off:then try krell, kudos or something you miss the point wire cant give you what you want its only wire not magic

No, I get your point. I think you might be missing mine, which is, if I didn't put it across eloquently before, that my system is great, i'm not trying to change it's sound, I want a cable that is as transparent as possible, so none of it's strengths are diluted.

A

Anonymous

if you dont want to change the sound dont do anything how do you know the strengths are diluted anyway

but spend your money as much as you can nortdost are expensive so go for them that way youll be happy smiley

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
one off:
if you dont want to change the sound, dont do anything. how do you know the strengths are diluted anyway?

but spend your money as much as you can, nortdost are expensive so go for them that way youll be happy. smiley.

Punctuation. Seriously. I've edited your reply, above, to give you a clue.

I know the strengths were being duluted by the VDH, as was shown when I swapped cable.

Look, i'm asking for helpful suggestions, you don't seem to have have any, so do me a favour: don't reply to my post.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
I love this interconnect, so do Cyrus, which should say something about it's sonic characteristics.

HifiCables

Hey Pete,

Yep, like the Cyrus connection with this cable. If I don't get along with the Silver High Breed, then I will add it to my short list.

Thanks muchly.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Big Chris:I went from a VDH 'The Bay' to my Kimber Silver Streaks. Polar opposite. Much more detailed, much wider soundstage better in pretty much all areas.I wouldn't use it if you consider your current sound as bright though, it does favour the leaner side of neutral (not much though). It was just what I was after, and the addition of some Rothwell attenuators a few months back made a slight shift back towards warm. Combined, the sound is spectacularly good.

Cheers for the suggestion, big guy. I would say that my system has a bright side of neutral sound, especially at volume. So, maybe the Kimbers wouldn't be ideal.

By the way, 'Catch 33' turned up today. Great. Love it. and the fact it's a HDCD means it sounds fooking fantastic. Meshuggah are fast becoming one of my favourite bands. Hopefully the Opeth will get here tomorrow.

Yeah. Sounds like the Silver Streaks would push your sound the wrong way.

Glad you like Catch 33. Meshuggah are definitely in my top 3 fave bands, but Opeth are still top!!

:)

A

Anonymous

ok i wont woops just did

but you should still look at components not wire

TRENDING THREADS