Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for posting in the acoustics thread but I just wanted to share with the people on here how much I was blown away by the Hans Zimmer in Prague concert on Netflix.
Amazing

insider9

Over 400 replies? The forum rules state that's reserved for cable threads only... ;)

Just kidding keep going. Great thread. I wish I had time to listen to them all.

If it hasn't been mentioned and apologies not sure.

Myles Kennedy "Year of the Tiger" acoustic album. Released earlier this month but had many plays already.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Over 400 replies? The forum rules state that's reserved for cable threads only... ;)

Just kidding keep going. Great thread. I wish I had time to listen to them all.

If it hasn't been mentioned and apologies not sure.

Myles Kennedy "Year of the Tiger" acoustic album. Released earlier this month but had many plays already.

Lol!

I will check Miles Kennedy out later, thanks.

If nothing else, make sure and listen to You Are Wolf!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Yeah Mac I've had a quick listen will get into it further....it is saved.

Oh and insider let me be so bold as to add

Karine Polwart and Pippa Murphy's

A pocket of wind resistance to your listening list..I absolutely love this album at the moment and after many a listen I come away with a tear in my eye....it's a album you really must listen to right through and it was basically produced for a stage show of sorts.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Qet86917RmdNrEpjCqolZ?si=1uB5D813Ta-Ljpi97ykJsg

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just playing some Joshua Hyslop, a Canadian singer/songwriter. His albums Where the Mountain Meets the Valley and In Deepest Blue are pretty good, he also has some long EPs.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
BigH said:
Just playing some Joshua Hyslop, a Canadian singer/songwriter. His albums Where the Mountain Meets the Valley and In Deepest Blue are pretty good, he also has some long EPs.

Good shout Big H, I've got his first album on CD.

If you like him, you might also like Peter Bradley Adams.

Mac

Thanks, Mac, good tip, playing his "A Face Like Mine" now.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Never been particularly into Joan Baez, but heard her new album Whistle Down the Wind today and really enjoyed it, so listened to her previous album from 2008 Day After Tomorrow... very good too.

Think Dib might enjoy these

Like you I know little about and have listened even less to Joan Baez over the years. I will pencil it in for a later date though, cheers
thumbs_up.png

ps: currently enjoying a Robin Trower evening, his last few albums have been blinding in a sort of laid back, serene, 70 year old guitarist kind of way.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Received this album in the post today:

Before the Ruin by Kris Drever, John McCusker and Roddy Woomble

great trio

Got that album myself. I've seen Kris Drever and John McCusker live (on separate occasions). Both skilled musicians and full of understated Scottish humour. I felt particularly privileged to see Kris Drever the year his band Lau had won their BBC Folk award. He was playing in an upper room above a pub in Bristol. There had to be about 25 people in the audience and 6 of them were my friends who'd gone to see him and his fellow musician for the evening, Anna Massie. A very memorable evening indeed.

Another recommendation:

Helge Lien, Knut Hem - Hummingbird

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:
Macspur said:
Received this album in the post today:

Before the Ruin by Kris Drever, John McCusker and Roddy Woomble

great trio

Got that album myself. I've seen Kris Drever and John McCusker live (on separate occasions). Both skilled musicians and full of understated Scottish humour. I felt particularly privileged to see Kris Drever the year his band Lau had won their BBC Folk award. He was playing in an upper room above a pub in Bristol. There had to be about 25 people in the audience and 6 of them were my friends who'd gone to see him and his fellow musician for the evening, Anna Massie. A very memorable evening indeed.

Another recommendation:

Helge Lien, Knut Hem - Hummingbird

I bet that was special!

Don't know Helge lien, will look it up thanks.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I freely admit I'm a sucker for the female vocal singer/songwriter, I was listening to a live set on Radio 2 Folk show from Josienne Clark and Ben Walker in the week and they relayed a story about a song from their new album, Seedlings All. The track is called Chicago and it's about how long it took them to get to the venue in Chicago, only to find noone had turned up, but still played the gig to an empty room... it really touched me, how hard these guys work and for little or no return at times.

Josienne has one of the most beautiful voices around... whilst imo it's not their strongest album, still worth a listen:

a sucker for a ladies singing..looking forward to the folk awards next week and I'm hoping karine Polwart does well with a pocket of wind resistance and a wee snippet from the album here https://youtu.be/aX8_lr00stw

Also I only just recently read that the album is a representation of what should be a stage presentation of drama and music,which,when on listening it makes perfect sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts