Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
CnoEvil said:
Hi Mac

I'm listening to the best Album by the Crash Test Dummies "God Shuffled his feet".....very nicely recorded and worth a listen, if you haven't heard any of their work, since their single "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm".

This album is definitely worth a listen. I have some interesting observations about it in which I will share in the upcoming review.

It was listening to the William Prince Album "Earthly Days", that reminded me of them...with that deep earthy voice. I prefer William Prince, but it's certainly worth checking out.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Really (really) enjoying this....and a fantastic recording to boot:

Hi Cno,

Do me a favour please and write the artists name, my screenreader isn't picking it up from the graphic.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Sorry Mac....It's Harry Manx "Faith Lift".

Nb. The last track seems to have some weird crackling distortion on it, so turn the volume down when you get to it.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Really (really) enjoying this....and a fantastic recording to boot:

Hi Cno,

Do me a favour please and write the artists name, my screenreader isn't picking it up from the graphic.

Mac

Sorry Mac....It's Harry Manx "Faith Lift".

Nb. The last track seems to have some weird crackling distortion on it, so turn the volume down when you get to it.

Thanks Cno... didn't think I was going to like it, first track very bluesy, but on the whole very enjoyable, he likes a bit of Sitar which I find very atmospheric and great guitar work.

If you like that, try Michael Chapman and his album 50, there's a particularly great track called The Mallad all about a famous steam train I believe.

Also, try Richard Hawley, start with his first release Coles Corner

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Thanks Cno... didn't think I was going to like it, first track very bluesy, but on the whole very enjoyable, he likes a bit of Sitar which I find very atmospheric and great guitar work.

If you like that, try Michael Chapman and his album 50, there's a particularly great track called The Mallad all about a famous steam train I believe.

Mac

It's the inclusion of those various guitars that make Harry Manx interesting.....and I will check out your suggestion, as I'm always looking for this sort of stuff.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

I have tried the recommendations and I found them pleasant....but my acid test is, whether I would I spend my money on them - and I'm not sure I would....but I will give them another listen.

I have another suggestion for you (if you haven't got it), which is an oldie, but a goodie (I owned it back in the mid 70s). Randy Edelman "Farewell Fairbanks". You almost certainly know the hit "The Uptown Uptempo Woman"

I don't see it on Tidal....but you might find it on Spotify.

610sztu0ilL._SX425_.jpg

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I have tried the recommendations and I found them pleasant....but my acid test is, whether I would I spend my money on them - and I'm not sure I would....but I will give them another listen.

I have another suggestion for you (if you haven't got it), which is an oldie, but a goodie (I owned it back in the mid 70s). Randy Edelman "Farewell Fairbanks". You almost certainly know the hit "The Uptown Uptempo Woman"

I don't see it on Tidal....but you might find it on Spotify.

I understand and that's exactly how I judge an album, neither would I buy either of those artists, but thought they might appeal to you.

Do you like Bert Jansch?

Randy Edelman is very hard to find, loads of film scores, but there is a best of on Spotify.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Bert Jansch Black Swan and On the Edge of a Dream

Mac

I love the quality of the recording and I like the Guitar Playing.....but I don't get on with the singing.

There is very little "Folksie Music" I actually enjoy. I quite like Christy Moore...but not enough to have actually bought any of his albums.

I love Blues and decent American Country....but hate Irish Country with a vengeance.

I can tolerate Irish "Diddley Dee" Music if played Live in a pub, but only if I've had a few pints of Guinness to soften the impact..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I do however like the Proclaimers (Sunshine on the Leith)....but who doesn't. (Never knew there was a lisp going on, until I played them through my system).

61PMobDmhnL._SX425_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts