Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
damonster said:
I was watching a documentary, Heartworn Highways on sky arts the other week. It's set in mid 70s America. Near the start came across this guy called Larry Jon Wilson. He sang a song called "ohoope river bottomland".This guy has an amazing voice and the song is one that grows on you. I think it's off an album "new beginnings".can find on YouTube. Well worth a listen.

Excellent! got it playing now... try listening to a guy called David Munyon, or John Gorka... both have very rich distinctive vocals.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Perfect day for a proper listening session... pouring down outside, regular supply of hot drinks and playing albums in full

currently listening to Sam Lee and the album The Fade in Time, really innovative Folk artist and earlier put on a couple of Sarah Jarosz CD's Undercurrent and Song Up in Her Head, she is such a brilliant Blue Grass singer/songwriter.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
Currently listening to an old album by Boo Hewerdine that I've not played in absolutely years, Baptist Hospital. Wonderful songs.

Hey Dibs, +1 a truly great songwriter... his latest album was a bit of a let down though

I bought the album Blackwater by Kris Drever recently and it's got Harvest Gypsies on there, I think Boo may have written that, great song.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Found a band called The Woodbine and Ivy band. They've made 2 albums, both quite different from the other.

The first, self titled, is a more traditional sound and a bit rocky in places and the other; Sleep on Sleeping On has generally a much more mellow almost ambient feel to it

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
If it's not been suggested already then check out a band called Merry Hell - a few of their albums are on Tidal and Spotify (I think). They are a local band based out of Wigan and managed by a friend of mine but regardless of that they are really good.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten some good new additions from all the suggestions on here but lately ive not kept up
So out of the last 2 weeks
Can you name me one stand out female artist/band?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I've gotten some good new additions from all the suggestions on here but lately ive not kept up So out of the last 2 weeks Can you name me one stand out female artist/band?

Hi Andrew

A couple spring to mind... a band called All the Luck in the World, more Indie rather than Folk and The Woodbine and Ivy ban I really like, but I'll have a further think.

Mac

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been ripping a lot of CDs lately and came across an album called; Concubine rice by Lone pidgeon. Quite a unique listen. Brilliant and mad in equal measures. Lone pidgeon is the brother of king creosote, also a great artist.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
I’ve been ripping a lot of CDs lately and came across an album called; Concubine rice by Lone pidgeon. Quite a unique listen. Brilliant and mad in equal measures. Lone pidgeon is the brother of king creosote, also a great artist.

Thanks for that, sometimes I like querky, I'll take a listen.

I'm really enjoying Bright Field by the Rheingans Sisters... a definite buy for me.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Been listening to The Rails over the last few days... they're a duo made up of Richard and Linda Thompson's daughter and her husband, the guitarist from The Pretenders.

Albums are Other People and Fair Warning, well worth a listen.

Btw, anyone know where Mark Rose Smith is these days?

Mac

TRENDING THREADS