Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Macspur said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
a sucker for a ladies singing..looking forward to the folk awards next week and I'm hoping karine Polwart does well with a pocket of wind resistance and a wee snippet from the album here www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
Mac I think I actually read about it on her Facebook page.I recently joined karine' s mailing list...received one the other day where she was talking about the upcoming folk awards and reminiscing about a **** Gaughan album and how it reminded her of her late Grandfather who died back in 1992....she mentioned he lived in craigie..in Ayr.......it's just down the road from me...literally across the racecourse.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently listening to the new Salt House album Undersong... they've got a new line up from their last album Lay Your Dark Low, with Jenny Sturgeon and Ewan MacPherson on vocal duties as aposed to Siobhan Miller and as good as the debut album was, Undersong is imo, definitely better.

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I had a listen to the young'uns the other day..not really my cupa....but happy that Karine got artist of the year....wind resistance is a genius piece of work...not for everyone! nor will everyone get it and it's not for listening on repeat maybe once a week or so ...but it's in my faves list.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I had a listen to the young'uns the other day..not really my cupa....but happy that Karine got artist of the year....wind resistance is a genius piece of work...not for everyone! nor will everyone get it and it's not for listening on repeat maybe once a week or so ...but it's in my faves list.

Yep, they are a bit of an acquired taste, not one I'd buy.

Been listening to some early John Martyn today, albums London Conversation and The Tumbler, very much along the style of Nick Drake.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
The Poacher's fate

Some good old Traditional English folk music.

I'd be surprised if you (Mac)haven't come across this yet.lol.

Wow! you've surprised me with that one Mark... yes I have, but doubted it would be to your taste.

Make sure and listen to Fenne Lily's new album On Hold, I mentioned it on the new release thread.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
there's quite a lot of Scandinavian artists joined the Folk/Acoustic bandwagon over the last few years and some really excellent ones. The obvious ones that spring to mind are First Aid Kit, but give these ladies a listen when you get a chance:

Marika Hackman We slept at last, Siv Jakobsen Nordic Mello and Monica Heldal, Boy from the North.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts