First Turntable/HIFI setup advice

Hey Folks,

Long time reader...first time poster. I was hoping I could pick your brains regarding my first every turntable/Hifi setup. I will be listening to music from all genres (from Pink Floyd to Joy Division, The Beatles to A Tribe Called Quest and David Bowie etc.) Below are the components I've been looking at but could use some advice as I want to get the most out of my vinly while not spending a fortune on the setup (I'm looking at $1000 - $1300 for everything) with room to upgrade in the future (I would rather upgade the speakers in the future as I will have use for a second set...but I dont need a second turntable so I'd rather get a good TT right away.).

Turtable:

Option 1: Pro-ject RPM 1.3 Genie ($399 AUD) - Australian

Option 2: Pro-ject RPM 1 Carbon ($799 - AUD). This turntable will not be available in Australia until the new year so what I want to know is whether or not it makes sence to wait and pay double for the new model or if I will be perfectly satisfied with the 1.3 Genie as I am not an audiophile (not yet anyways). But I also dont wan't to waste money on a model I will want to upgrade soon so Im willing to spending the money and wait for the new one if its worth it.

Speakers: For speakers I am looking at the Swan M50W ($330 AUD). I do enjoy bass (though I dont consider myself a basshead) and for the money these speakers seem like a great choice. If I went with powered monitors such as the AudioEngine A5+ id be spending $400 on the speakers and would still likely want to add a sub...but now things are getting expensive. With the Swans I could upgrade my whole speaker setup in a few years (monitors, sub, amp etc..the whole nine) and turn them into computer speakers which could use an upgrade at some point anyways. The value for money here seems great and I'm really saving a lot of money here but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PhonoAmp: I have no clue what phono-amp I should get. For now Im happy with something simple as I will want to upgrade in the future when I upgrade the speaker system (and will purchase a good DAC when I upgrade as well but I dont need one now).

Thanks in advance for all of your help and I look forward to getting more involved in this community.

-Jay

And I know the speakers are a weak point so if you have suggestions for a pair of speakers + sub (with amp if they are not powered) im all ears. Im willing to extend the budget for a good entry level setup. (even if its $1000+ for the speaker setup I will defintely consider it).

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jay, and welcome to the forum. I'm not very good at recommending stuff, so won't try, but hope you get the information you're looking for.

Just one question: when you say 'phono-amp', do you mean a phono-level pre-amp to place between your turntable and a power amp, or do you mean an integrated stereo amp? In other words, do you currrently have an amp and are looking for a separate phono stage in order to allow your turnable to work with your existing amp, or are you buying the system from scratch?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts