First dabble in KEF world

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Just recently finished installing the kitchen system in my new extension. I'm running the KEF HTS 2001 with the T-Amp. The maain reason for getting the KEF's is that they fit in with the whole look of the place.

I have only heard my mates Q1's and i like the sound. I also heard a terrible demo in a shop of the Q500's, but I think the assistant didn't have the KEF's set up properly as there was very limited bass. I am really pleased with these 2001's though. I havn't owned or heard many concentric speakers before, but they are so clear...... a great sound.

Makes me wonder; how good are the Q500's or the R100's? things must have moved on a fair bit since KEF used the drivers in these Eggs.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the Q500s and I think they are great. I would though wouldn't I? I mainly listen to classical music and IMO they reproduce the music that I know accurately.

I cannot comment whether they are suitable for bass heavy music.

Chris

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
When I get a lazy few minutes(probably in 2020) I will go an have another listen to the Q range. It all sounds so positive.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
Makes me wonder; how good are the Q500's or the R100's? things must have moved on a fair bit since KEF used the drivers in these Eggs.

The newer ranges (R and Q series) have much more advanced drivers than the KHT series, although they do now use Waveguide technology, which was introduced with the SE version of the KHT3005's. They're also larger, so are more efficient and natural sounding.

As for comparisons, if you compare the Q100's to the R100's (like for like), the R100's are in a different league. Comparing the R100's to the Q500's is a little different. The R100's won't go as loud as Q500's because the the Q500's have a dedicated bass driver (plus two passive radiators), but treble and midrange will still be better.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
moon said:

The newer ranges (R and Q series) have much more advanced drivers than the KHT series, although they do now use Waveguide technology, which was introduced with the SE version of the KHT3005's. They're also larger, so are more efficient and natural sounding.

As for comparisons, if you compare the Q100's to the R100's (like for like), the R100's are in a different league. Comparing the R100's to the Q500's is a little different. The R100's won't go as loud as Q500's because the the Q500's have a dedicated bass driver (plus two passive radiators), but treble and midrange will still be better.

thanks for the reply David, looks like i might be spending some time in November at Hifix comparing the Q and R series for myself

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts