Firmware upgrades due for Yamaha RXV3900 and DSP-Z7

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Following a few reports of switching issues with the Yamaha RXV3900 receiver and DSP-Z7 AV amplifier, Yamaha is to issue a firmware upgrade for both models shortly.

Here's Yamaha's summary of the issues, which it claims is very rare: it has heard of only one affected UK unit to date:

"Symptom:

When the system is turned off for couple of hours, there are some cases
that the unit shuts down soon after Master Power SW or Main Zone SW is
turned ON.

This symptom does not happen to all units but after checking we have found some units have been affected.

The unit can be powered back ON by unplugging and then plugging the AC cable back in.

Firmware update:
We'll start to upgrade firmware for RXV3900 and DSP-Z7 to fix the following symptom and increase software stability.
The latest firmware will be available in our Web site from early February 2009.

This firmware update can be performed by either USB thumb drive or internet connection.
Our service department will also update this firmware when brought in to a local service centre through any of our dealer networks.

The upgrade firmware confirmation will be made as soon as the firmware is set up on the Yamaha Web site."

We will keep you updated as to when the firmware updates appear.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Will you update us here on the forums or on the main news page?

Thanks for following up with Yamaha.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd imagine both - but at the very least on here, plus on the reviews themselves (where i've already posted a link to news of the firmware upgrade, plus background).

Graham1994

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clare, This is my first posting, but I've been reading the magazine for some time now (1990's)

I have a Yamaha DSP-Z7 on order. What I would like to ask is, how can you tell if my amp will require the firmware update? Is there a cut off point of serial number or similar.

Can I also ask, how do I connect the amp to the internet if my modem is upstairs with my pc. I bought the amp for its av potential, but I might want to try the internet radio option.

Thanks

Graham

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think you can assume that if it's on order for imminent delivery, it'll be on the boat already and therefore will be running the old firmware.

If the new one becomes available before yours is due to be delivered, then I am sure the dealer will upgrade it for you on delivery.

If you get it before the firmware release, then it will need to be updated at that point.

To answer the second question, you need a wireless Ethernet bridge, which as the name suggests forms the link between a wireless network, which I assume yours is, and the receiver.

If you don't have a wireless network, then you either need a wireless router and a wireless Ethernet bridge, or a very long cable.

A

Anonymous

Graham1994:

Hi Clare, This is my first posting, but I've been reading the magazine for some time now (1990's)

I have a Yamaha DSP-Z7 on order. What I would like to ask is, how can you tell if my amp will require the firmware update? Is there a cut off point of serial number or similar.

Can I also ask, how do I connect the amp to the internet if my modem is upstairs with my pc. I bought the amp for its av potential, but I might want to try the internet radio option.

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham,

In the owners manual is an explanation of how to check which version of the firmware is installed. You'll find it in advanced setup menu.

I use a CAT 5 cable to connect my amp to my network hub, it's over 40m long and works fine.

A

Anonymous

I collected my DSP Z7 today, was a bit of a surprise.(See other post regarding RXV 3900 problem) It has ver 1.04 firmware installed. Will wait for new version to be released.

A

Anonymous

New firmware ver 1.05 now available on the yamaha website!

Hope that this really fixes the problem.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/down/index.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts