Sonos vs Yamaha vs Denon for multiroom inc AV Amp.

karlc

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just interested in people's opinions on what will be sensible to look at some point next year as I'm planning an AV refresh.

Our main living room has a Yamaha RX-A1060 amplifier, which also has a Sonos Connect plugged in.

We then have numerous Sonos One speakers in the kitchen, dining room, office etc....

We are planning to setup a playroom where I want to have a surround sound setup present too.

I'm trying to decide if I should go down the Sonos route for that room, or use a dedicated AV amp, like we have in our living room.

The only issue is that I've got the common audio delay issue when using the Sonos, when feeding my current Yamaha amp, which is annoying. I've also found the app to have gone down hill.

So I'm wondering what I should do moving forwards. I can see the following options:

1. Commit to using Sonos in the playroom, live with the delay issues in the main room
2. Use a 2nd Av amp for the playroom, and deal with the delay issue with both the living room AV, and probably the playroom AV.
3. Remove the sonos equipment completely and move to Yamaha or Denon platforms (Obviously replacing my current AV amp with a Denon one)

Has anyone done this? Are the multiroom implementations good enough?

Many thanks for any help.

Karl

karlc

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

The delay is introduced by the processing done by the Yamaha amplifier. It's a common problem with AV amps and Sonos. Many people have asked for them to give you the ability to delay the sonos feed, but it's not happened in years, and I don't think it will ever happen.

You should not have this issue, as end to end you are within the Sonos Eco system. That's a big positive for only using Sonos gear. However I wanted more flexibility than Sonos offered at the time, hence the AV amp route including Atmos and HDMI switching.

Some of which is solved by the latest sound bar, that you have :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts