favourite guitar solos...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:Richard Thompson is incredible live. I've had the privilege of seeing him twice and his solo in 'Hard On Me' is incredible as you can see/hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyP4U1hl34&feature=related

Good call MP. I've seen RT so many times over the years, I've lost count. I'm off again in another 2/3 weeks when he opens his latest UK tour at the Lowry in Salford. Whether it be solo acoustic, full electric band, or even just RT and Danny Thompson together, he is nothing short of magnificent. I remember him playing the acoustic "Beeswing" at the Lowry years ago, and the power he held over that 2000 crowd was awesome. A consumate professional who will still pack out halls as long as he can pick up a guitar.

A

Anonymous

Anything by Django, or rather than a solo in a piece of music why not a complete album of music played solo by one guy on a guitar, check out Martin Taylor,s album called SOLO. It,s one thing to play a solo, but it,s a hard gig to play the whole tune solo.

A

Anonymous

'Comfortably Numb' solo 2 from Pulse - Dave Gilmour: tasteful and epic

'Freebird' - Lynyrd Skynyrd : frenzied and tuneful and epic

'Still in Love with you- 1st solo - Gary Moore re-recorded with Phil Lynott : a beautifully crafted melodic solo

'Jane' - Jefferson Airplane : a great compact solo perfectly fitting the song

'Speedking' (live from Made in Japan) - Ritchie Blackmore : well crafted and builds up (almost sing-along in places a la Ian Gillan)

'Beyond the Realms of Death' - 1st solo Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest): great melodic solo with one of the most effective uses of feedback to end the solo ever (apparently just luck on the take)

'Still Got the Blues' - Gary Moore: the main extended solo has a part where Gary switches from the neck pickup to the bridge for a more biting sound but still sounds so sweet and sings

'Need Your Love So Bad' - Peter Green both intro solo and main: a truly gifted touch

'Since I've Been Lovin You' - Jimmy Page both intro solo and main: another stunning example of meaningful notes and phrasing

...I could go on ...

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ritchie Blackmore "Highway Star'';

Jimmy Page "Stairway to Heaven'';

Felder/Walsh "Hotel California'';

Eddie Van Halen "Eruption'';

John Petrucci "Glasgow Kiss''

Kirk Hammett "Enter Sandman''

Alex Lifeson "Anthem''.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ritchie Blackmore "Highway Star'' & "Smoke on the Water''

Jimmy Page "Stairway to Heaven''

Felder/Walsh "Hotel California''

Van Halen "Eruption''

Kirk Hammett "Enter Sandman''

John Petrucci "Glasgow Kiss''

Alex Lifeson "Anthem''

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
idc:I have created a new link, could someone try it and tell me if it links to the WHF guitar solo playlist alone, or my whole Spotify entry.

Nice one idc!

Just listening to the late, great Randy California on Spirit's Street Worm. Bliss.

It links straight to the solo playlist.

idc

Thanks DIB
emotion-21.gif
It wold be great to get that list going again.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
and here's some more

Tony Peluso (Carpenters) - Goodbye to Love

Leslie West (Mountain) - Theme for an Imaginary Western

Ollie Halsall (Patto) - Hold Your Fire

Hank Garland (Elvis) - Fool Such as I

Larry Coryell - Ah Wuv Oo

James Burton (Rick Nelson) - Travellin Man

Eddie Cochran - Hallelujah I Love Her So

Mike Bloomfield (Electric Flag) - Find Jung Thing

Jeff Skunk Baxter (Doobie Brothers) - Little Darling

Larry Carlton (Steely Dan) - Third World Man

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Apart from those already mentioned

Steve Hackett Spectral Mornings

Larry Carlton School Days (Live at the Greek)

Steve Hillage virtually all of Live Herald but take Salmon Song as an example

Carlos Santana too many to mention

John McLaughlin ditto

Al DiMeola ditto

Alan Holdsworth ditto

Andy Latimer Lunar Sea (duel section) Camel, A Live Record

Andy Revell Sequences (Twelfth Night multiple versions)

John Etheridge Ban-Ban Caliban from Soft Machine Softs (amongst very many)

Alex Lifeson La Villa Strangiato

A

Anonymous

A lot of the classics have been mentioned already..but theres always room for some more:

Under a glass moon - Dream Theater (John Petrucci)

Crazy Train/Mr Crowley - Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhodes/Zakk Wylde)

Painkiller - Judas Priest (KK Downing/Glen Tipton)

Cemetary Gates - Pantera (Dimebag Darrell)

Two Minutes to Midnight - Iron Maiden

Won't Find It Here - Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde)

The Twighlight is my Robe - Opeth (Mikael kerfeldt)

A

Anonymous

Still think you can,t beat Django, if you could not read or write, only had 2 fingers on your fretting hand that worked and were drunk most of the time, how do you think you would sound when you picked up a guitar. Joe Pass was also a truly gifted guitarist considering he used to be a heroin addict and spent most of his youth in jail.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:johnnyjazz - I agree about Django Reinhardt. I've got some fabulous recordings of him playing with the violinist Stephane Grappelli. Superb stuff. Matthew, you should check out Raphael Fays, especially sweet georgia brown, and also the great Bireli Lagrene, i think those two guys took off where Django left it
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS