expensive mistake

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Do the £800 ATC SCM 7's sound any better than the £1200 ATC SCM 11's?
i have not got the atc 7,s yet (saving) but hifi pig ,did a good reveiw on the 7 ,and they did mention the 11,s ! . the 11,s are to expensive for me , i would save a little more ( for the 11) but wife said £800 is enough *ok*

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Your ears apply to you only lindsay - does the T stand for Trump? - others hear things differently and have different opinions. Get used to it . You can start by standing in front of a mirror every night and repeating "I am not God" until it sinks in :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
So ATC 7's are only worth buying and keeping if you can pick them up for £100 or less.

appreciate your comment Lindsay.. can you tell what Zensor 3 or Kef Q300 or similar speakers are in your opinion worth please?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
avole said:
Your ears apply to you only lindsay - does the T stand for Trump? - others hear things differently and have different opinions. Get used to it . You can start by standing in front of a mirror every night and repeating "I am not God" until it sinks in :)
Avole, YOUR AD HOMINEM ATTACK ON ME IS QUITE NASTY.

What comparative listening tests have you done with ATC 11 or 7 speakers?

Do you have a problem with me passing on the results of my listening tests and giving advice accordingly?

And, when it comes to ATC 11's and 7's it most definitely is NOT down to personal opinion. Anyone comparing them to a better speaker would come to the same conclusions as me.

Which is, that ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD ANYONE BUY AND KEEP THESE SPEAKERS UNLESS THEY'VE SPENT LESS THAN £100 ON THEM.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
avole said:
So he's belittling them. Childish, really.
100% INCORRECT AVOLE.

I AM MERELY PLACING THEM IN THEIR TRUE POSITION IN THE PANTHEON OF SPEAKERS.

Something that anyone would do if they'd actually done some proper comparative listening tests.

The only person being childish here is you with your ad hominem attacks. Especially when you, apparently don't know what you're talking about when it comes to how good ATC 11's and 7's sound when compared to other properly selected speakers.

You may not like my 100% accurate and honest assessment of these speakers. I can't help that. What you're doing here is shooting the messenger boy. And that simply isn't fair on me.

I AM NOT GOING TO LIE AND PRETEND THAT THE ATC 11 AND 7'S ARE BETTER SPEAKERS THAN THEY ACTUALLY ARE.

Also, in the context of thread titled "Expensive mistake" I am trying to prevent someone else from making an expensive mistake. Which is not childish at all.

Petty ad hominem attacks, on the other hand are childish.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
lindsayt said:
So ATC 7's are only worth buying and keeping if you can pick them up for £100 or less.

appreciate your comment Lindsay.. can you tell what Zensor 3 or Kef Q300 or similar speakers are in your opinion worth please?
I'd say, about the same. £100 or less.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
lpv said:
lindsayt said:

ok. how much would you pay for DM10s?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
lpv said:
lindsayt said:

Its all personal but my atc scm11s blow the socks off my kef r700s for musical enjoyment. While the bass is not extended the upper bass is much better defined and much more tuneful. Detail is much better and revealing also so if the kefs were £2000 rrp how much should they cost?

Also the atcs are 10times better than my q acoustics 2020i and wharfedales 220s so how much should they cost in comparision? Imo if the atcs are worth 200 then the other speakers ive mentioned should be only a £10

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
lindsayt said:
lpv said:
lindsayt said:

£300 LOL £250 for better drivers and extra 50 for the amp lmao

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
lindsayt said:
lpv said:
lindsayt said:

Right now I wouldn't buy them at all with a view to keeping them. I'm already speakered up.

In the context of this thread I'd say the DM10's are worth about £700.

IE, if you want small 2 way direct radiator speakers don't buy ATC 11's, 7's, Zensor 3's, Q300's. Buy 2nd hand AVI actives (plus a 2nd hand sub). Unless you can get the ATC 7's et al very cheaply and are on a tight budget.

I've also got an open mind that there might be a few combinations of 2nd hand amplifiers and small 2 way direct radiators that would sound as good as AVI actives that could be bought for under £700. That is only a working hypothesis, which would need to be tested against a wide variety of speakers.

The thing with hi-fi, is that no matter what you buy, there's something else you could have gotten cheaper elsewhere that would have sounded better.

In the case of ATC 7's I think there's been enough listening tests that I'd trust to leave me recommending active AVI's without hesitation over them, unless the ATC's were bought very cheaply.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
in fact, you can get second hand AVI 9 for even less than £700 in a top condition...

AVI controled, lean bass and 'no boom' character is a system that could work really well in Floyds difficult room..

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
avole said:
So he's belittling them. Childish, really.
100% INCORRECT AVOLE.

I AM MERELY PLACING THEM IN THEIR TRUE POSITION IN THE PANTHEON OF SPEAKERS.

Something that anyone would do if they'd actually done some proper comparative listening tests.

The only person being childish here is you with your ad hominem attacks. Especially when you, apparently don't know what you're talking about when it comes to how good ATC 11's and 7's sound when compared to other properly selected speakers.

You may not like my 100% accurate and honest assessment of these speakers. I can't help that. What you're doing here is shooting the messenger boy. And that simply isn't fair on me.

I AM NOT GOING TO LIE AND PRETEND THAT THE ATC 11 AND 7'S ARE BETTER SPEAKERS THAN THEY ACTUALLY ARE.

Also, in the context of thread titled "Expensive mistake" I am trying to prevent someone else from making an expensive mistake. Which is not childish at all.

Petty ad hominem attacks, on the other hand are childish.
i am the OP(expensive mistake);i do appreciate constructive criticism,*smile*;my reason for wanting to try the atc 7,s is my room starts haveing bass booms under 61hz ,so as the atc rolls off at 70hz & being sealed it might work for me,yes they are expensive, Even i am having 2nd thoughts,£810 is a lot of money for me! i am in two minds to get a pair off wharfedale,s( 225) or zensor 3,but as i only have a stereo amp(NEW) at the moment (CXA60) i was hoping the atc,s would sound o.k without bass management or i could buy a AVR & cheaper speakers. I would like to say thank you to everyone for there, opinons & help*smile*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
floyd droid62 said:
chebby said:
floyd droid62 said:
... yes they are expensive, Even i am having 2nd thoughts,£810 is a lot of money for me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATC-SCM-7-/262680750214?hash=item3d28fe2886:g:N7YAAOSw8gVYAkPl

,,, these are £215 less.

Try them out and sell them on if you don't get on with them. You'll lose little or nothing compared to buying new.
*smile* i was thinking as i am getting ps4 .4k telly, blu ray player in the  near future ! i will need a AVR, so being cost-effective,i am getting the dali Zensor 3( and join the dali Zensor 3 owners club*drinks*) &, new AVR .Use bass management to the bk monolith(with antimode). for bass issues! thank you for the link*smile*

If your getting atc scm7s then you will have to get an xbox instead

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts