Does KEF LS50 trim ring rotate - use as centre channel

LupoLoopy

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello again!

I was researching my options for upgrading my HiFi speakers, specifically my Quad 11L's I use for ocasionally light music listening.

I was originally looking at the Q Acoustics Concept 20, then after a bit more work (posting here, research etc), the KEF LS50 came onto my radar. I'm now considering these, as an upgrade for my 3.1 setup for the living room, letting me demote the Quad 12L's to music duties.

As the AV setup gets used every day, it seemed like a more 'sensible' option...

A while ago I saw Dave@FrankHarvey had a similar idea and was seeking steer from Kef as to whethere '50th Anniversary' trim ring could be rotated so the center channel could be put on it's side. Did he (or anyone else, for that matter) work out if it was possible?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Judging from this picture you may be in luck. If you click on the link below you can see a zoomed in view of the picture with the centre speakers trim ring rotated 90°.

KefLS50SpeakerPackage_zps6402d06d.jpg

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/kef-speakers/kef-ls50-speaker-package-2215926-383960-.php

Yep. My point exactly 'can be done at the manufacturing stage'. The only place I have seen this is as has been posted which means you are probably going to have to buy the home theatre package. I have not seen them list a seperate centre speaker - yet. I am hazarding a guess that this is not something you can do to a LS50 if you already own a pair.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Manufacturers can sell singles though. Like spares.

I had similar problem, when going to 6.1 with B&W CM1 - needed a single speaker for the rear.

Dale at Fanthorpes is very helpful - give him a call. (That's where the pic is from).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
LupoLoopy said:
A while ago I saw Dave@FrankHarvey had a similar idea and was seeking steer from Kef as to whethere '50th Anniversary' trim ring could be rotated so the center channel could be put on it's side. Did he (or anyone else, for that matter) work out if it was possible?

By the way, I'm David - there is a Dave who know now works on HiFix (website) - just so there's no confusion :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
LupoLoopy said:
By the way, I'm David - there is a Dave who know now works on HiFix (website) - just so there's no confusion :)
Sorry, forgot to say that David at Frank Harvey is also very helpful :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
LupoLoopy said:
Sorry, forgot to say that David at Frank Harvey is also very helpful :)

You mean there's a Dave and *two* Davids?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Possibly missed the joke, I was suggesting there was Dave, you and a helpful David.

That image of a 'centre' LS50 looks like the driver is in a different position, not just rotated? So do kef make a special centre version?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Possibly missed the joke, I was suggesting there was Dave, you and a helpful David.
Yup. missed that one. Probably for obvious reasons :)

That image of a 'centre' LS50 looks like the driver is in a different position, not just rotated? So do kef make a special centre version?
There's been no official photos of an LS50 5.1 system (as it doesn't exist as far as KEF are concerned), so any you do see will have been photoshopped.

gagagaga

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Your cinema room should be dark enough that you can't see it anyways :grin:

Not tried on min - the LS50s feel bloody solid and surely something moveable that close to the driver would be a prime candidate for vibration?

As I posted earlier if you look at the exploded diagram on Kef website (listed below) you will see the front surround ring is fixed to the cast driver frame. Methinks you are not going to rotate this without removing the whole transducer. Not without voiding warranty your not. :read:
http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/flagship_hi-fi_series/LS50/technology/index.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts