An evening with Arcam, Kef and Audioquest

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
When are we cable believers gonna hear about these posh ethernet cables then CNO?

I also am really interested in hearing your thoughts on this based on a real demo.

Its gonna turn into a war so just please fire the first shot lol

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll be interested to read her thoughts Cno, and see how they compare to feedback from a few of our regulars who have tried a few (varying priced) Ethernet cables. I'm keeping an open mind about trying a different USB cable between my Innuos Zen and Classe Sigma SSP soon.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
Cno, what do you think of the Linn Majik DS, was not available in shop to demo.
We have crossed posts.

I think the Majik DS/DSM is worth the extra, especially if you intend to use the amp in the DSM version, at sometime in the future. Also the Majik has the Dynamik Power Supply, which the Sneaky doesn't. Remember this is only my opinion and you would need to compare the two directly.

If I was starting again, I think I would go with 2.1, using one of the DSM solutions.
Ok thanks cno. Am still contemplating which way to go. Am going on holiday in two weeks time so may do my order when I get back, just in case do not go over my two weeks trial period.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Have you got the Sneaky hooked up at the minute....if so, what do you think?
Seems my message way not clear enough Cno. Am yet to get the Sneaky. Am holding on till I get back from Holiday. 
Ah, I wasn't sure if you were having it for the 2 weeks before your holiday, or waiting till you got back.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yea I did make it sound a bit confusing. *scratch_one-s_head* If I buy now my two weeks trial period would expire by time I get back. Still got another week before I fly out. But would surely getting one when I get back.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well folks, let me start by saying that in 27 years of being married to CNO, I have been asked to do some weird things!!! However, even attending a stag party on the Isle of White doesn't come close in weirdness to being in a room full of middle aged/old geeks all getting excited about cables and drooling over speakers!!!! There isn't enough wine on the planet to make this seem normal and just when I think it isn't possible for CNO to shock me ever again - he asks me to write a review on a hi-fi forum about Ethernet cables! What can I say - I sat in Lyric and listened as a piece of music was played, I thought it was ok and then Mr Audioquest changed to the first of his cables and suddenly I found the track to be more engaging. With each change of cable, I became aware of a lot more detail - the singers voice, her breathing, her backing vocals and the music all became cleaner, with more depth with a vibrancy that was lacking in the first play! I can honestly say that had I not watched him change just the cable, I would have argued that it was a differant system!

CnoEvil said:
Well folks, let me start by saying that in 27 years of being married to CNO, I have been asked to do some weird things!!! However, even attending a stag party on the Isle of White doesn't come close in weirdness to being in a room full of middle aged/old geeks all getting excited about cables and drooling over speakers!!!! There isn't enough wine on the planet to make this seem normal and just when I think it isn't possible for CNO to shock me ever again - he asks me to write a review on a hi-fi forum about Ethernet cables! What can I say - I sat in Lyric and listened as a piece of music was played, I thought it was ok and then Mr Audioquest changed to the first of his cables and suddenly I found the track to be more engaging. With each change of cable, I became aware of a lot more detail - the singers voice, her breathing, her backing vocals and the music all became cleaner, with more depth with a vibrancy that was lacking in the first play! I can honestly say that had I not watched him change just the cable, I would have argued that it was a differant system!

Nice one, Mrs. Cno. Hope he's paying you well for drafting this. *mosking*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

An excellent and accurate observation of the state of the HiFi type Mrs Cno. (Sadly, I must count myself amongst them). It is incredibly brave of you to admit on this forum to hearing differences in cables, especially Ethernet cables. There are those on here who absolutely will not admit that there are differences, because recognised science surmises that those differences are impossible. This is despite the fact that many people can hear those differences. I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't already chimed in with how proposterous your description of what you heard is. - Perhaps they are afraid of female wrath. - 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' perhaps?

Next time you accompany Mr Cno on a HiFi outing, perhaps you could let us know what you make of the Uptone Audio USB Regen, an item of scorn equal to cables, even though to many ears that too makes a positive difference to digital sound.

Keep up the good work!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:

An excellent and accurate observation of the state of the HiFi type Mrs Cno. (Sadly, I must count myself amongst them). It is incredibly brave of you to admit on this forum to hearing differences in cables, especially Ethernet cables. There are those on here who absolutely will not admit that there are differences, because recognised science surmises that those differences are impossible. This is despite the fact that many people can hear those differences. I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't already chimed in with how proposterous your description of what you heard is. - Perhaps they are afraid of female wrath. - 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' perhaps?

Next time you accompany Mr Cno on a HiFi outing, perhaps you could let us know what you make of the Uptone Audio USB Regen, an item of scorn equal to cables, even though to many ears that too makes a positive difference to digital sound.

Keep up the good work!

Wives or partners are the best to hear difference as they dont look at specs or costs or anything really (most times) and in turn they are not expecting a better sound so feel they cant be influenced as much if you know what i mean.

Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:

Keep up the good work!

I hate participating in the usual cable debate, and I'm not going to rock any boat. But I think we need to keep things in perspective...

Cno and Mrs. Cno's experience the other night aside... if you have a high end system defining the differences between cables is very plausible, but for poor plebs like me who have modest set-ups, hearing a difference between cables can/is far more difficult. Not saying they don't make a difference, nor do I subscribe to some views they are the defining component.

My views are purely based on my own experience of trying and buying different speaker strands, interconnects and HDMIs.

Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:

Keep up the good work!

Wives or partners are the best to hear difference as they dont look at specs or costs or anything really (most times) and in turn they are not expecting a better sound so feel they cant be influenced as much if you know what i mean.

Mrs. P has a very different view: "Don't care about the sound. If we can afford it and you like it..."

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:

Keep up the good work!

FWIW, all that's needed for expectation bias is knowing or thinking a different cable is being used.

Having said that, interesting to read her observations.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It appears from the link below that Mrs Cno is in good company

http://andreweverard.com/2015/06/08/high-resolution-audio-now-with-added-fibre/

Tempted to dabble myself!

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Do you want to hear the tale of the HiFi cable company who decided they needed a HDMI cable in their portfolio, 'cos all the others were introducing them.

Later on they decided to also have an HDMI cable in one of their more expensive ranges. so they ordered the same cable from their cable supplier/manufacturer, but dressed in a more bling sheathing, to which they then fitted fancier looking plugs. Same cable, different dress, more than double the price.

I've tried a couple of expensive, overpriced USB cables on loan from a dealer for a week. Neither I, My wife, my adult son, an audiophile chum or my nextdoor neighbour could hear any decernable difference between them and a much cheaper, but well made stock USB cable.

Ethernet cables ???? Really?

z

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
MrsCnoEvil said:
Well folks, let me start by saying that in 27 years of being married to CNO, I have been asked to do some weird things!!!

Sod the cables

Yes, that would be a bit kinky, but maybe my assumption of the etymology of sod being short for sodomy/sodomite is off the mark.

TRENDING THREADS