An evening with Arcam, Kef and Audioquest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
WARNING!

I am now going to head off into an alternative reality, which is governed by a different set of rules and where things are turned on their head

I strongly suggest that anyone of a sound mind or scientific bent, retreat quickly and safely into the comfort of the Laws of Physics, Placebo, gullible Audiophools and Snake Oil salesmen.

I also suggest that newbies read no further in case they get infected by my heresy.

At this point, I would also like to point out that no blind tests were conducted....so if this is the only yardstick that you judge anything by, then these thoughts and insights will hold no credibility what so ever.

Excellent disclosure! I guess your legal advisor didn't come cheap...*smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
C'Mon, Cno.

Enough of the foreplay. - What did you and Mrs Cno hear or not hear?
I'm still working on Mrs. Cno to post something...but she's still effing about doing other less important stuff.

This forum must have deteriorated, if the most exciting thing to look forward to, is a review of Ethernet Cables.....which everyone knows, can't make a difference.

So, patience young Padawan....

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
C'Mon, Cno.

Enough of the foreplay. - What did you and Mrs Cno hear or not hear?
I'm still working on Mrs. Cno to post something...but she's still effing about doing other less important stuff.

This forum must have deteriorated, if the most exciting thing to look forward to, is a review of Ethernet Cables.....which everyone knows, can't make a difference.

So, patience young Padawan....

I agree about the deterioration. Hence the impatience in anticipation of something we can actually debate. That is, if the 'Scientists' don't bully everyone into silence like they usually do. I suspect that this is, in part, the reason for the deterioration and why you're only really on 'safe' ground if you're discussing the attributes of an Abrahamsen or Hegel unit (relatively affordable, stylistically nondescript and measures 'flat').

It does make for a very boring and stagnant discussion environment though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think Mrs Cno will write something....but it won't be tonight....she always was a windup merchant.

Let's hope it's worth waiting on.

Wow Cno, certainly had an interesting night. We've been invited out for a company dinner, one of my trade customers, which'll be a formal 'do' at a country club. I know which one I'd prefer to attend.

But on the gear you heard it doesn't surprise me that Arcam and Kef are a good match. I've heard so many good things about the combo. Although had the opportunity to hear briefly the A19 and LS50s, it was so brief it was hard to make reasonable comparison.

BTW, WHFI reviewed the R300 in the Nov. edition - up against ATC, Neat, Martin Logan, MA Gold 50... the R300 came away with 4 stars - the major let down was their size IIRC.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thx PP

Company dinners can be a good place to "network" and pick up potential business....viewed like this, they can be an asset.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
It's after 2:00pm on a Sunday afternoon.

Mrs Cno can't be that busy.....
I'm afraid she's a law unto herself and like an unexploded bomb....if handled wrong, it could all blow up in my face!

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
Hey Cno, seems you had a good time there. One thing I know for sure, you are very particular about bright & brittle sounding Hifi. I am of the opinion that 90% of hifi sounds brittle, harsh & with presence of sibilance. I suppose at this point in time, prices & specifications are not to hand. I happen to listen to the Akurate DS at Oranges & lemons Hifi shop in London & was very impressed. I would go as far as saying one of the best source players I have heard till date.

Interesting on your findings about the the limitations of the Arcam streamer in a revealing system. If any updates am more than Interested to hear them. *yes3*
What system was the Akurate DS playing in.....it's a very impressive bit of kit (IMO).
It was playing on Arcam's AVR 750 & Focal Aria 926

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
When are we cable believers gonna hear about these posh ethernet cables then CNO?
I'm working on it.....it would be very boring if I have to do the write-up....it's probably a "forum first" to have one's good lady do the description, but it does seem to take a little longer.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Excellent reading thread for once

Good stuff Cno I still can't believe you took your wife to such an event.....
And let her at the wine, surely she was only there to drive you so you could enjoy your evening more with a few free tasty beverages.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Am using my own amp, but I did compare my 450 with the 750, not much difference that worries me really. The 750 had a better flow to it, but you had to put them side by side to really tell. For now I think the 450 is ok. Am actually settling for the Sneaky DSM. Ordering one tomorrow, the Akurate a bit over my budget.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Cno, what do you think of the Linn Majik DS, was not available in shop to demo.
We have crossed posts.

I think the Majik DS/DSM is worth the extra, especially if you intend to use the amp in the DSM version, at sometime in the future. Also the Majik has the Dynamik Power Supply, which the Sneaky doesn't. Remember this is only my opinion and you would need to compare the two directly.

If I was starting again, I think I would go with 2.1, using one of the DSM solutions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts