KEF LS50 Wireless - First Impressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I can emphathise with comments about class d in the ls50s with my experience of Cyrus. My old class a or b x powers were rich in bass, then the class d stereo 200 was better dynamically but in a way quite sharp and not smooth, but then the much better class a or b Mono x200 signatures at similar prices to the stereo 200 were better than all of them for richness at all volumes.

But I guess with kefs they are still a bit of a compromise at their price, albeit bloody good speakers. Ie small cabinets for damping, small drivers that won’t push much air etc.

insider9

I've only heard LS50 passives that in a sub optimal demo conditions underwhelmed massively. I know many good things have been said about LS50W but knew EB2s will be a tough act to follow.

I take it Naim Uniti Atom would the next step?

davidf said:
I do love my Yorkshire Tea.

(please note, I don't work for Yorkshire Tea, nor do I sell their products)

Still at i see *biggrin* And you do not deal with Kii Audio either. But rather than highlight performance drawbacks from elsewhere of the active speakers which you are a supplier of instead you have now chosen to single out the Kii Three’s as you are aware of their and Dutch & Dutch Audio’s (another brand along similar lines) significance
regular_smile.png
The momentum of both of these brands products on other Forums/FB over the last few months in particular has really got to you *biggrin*

Anyway as I close up I am having a cup of tea with the Three’s on *smile*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've only heard LS50 passives that in a sub optimal demo conditions underwhelmed massively. I know many good things have been said about LS50W but knew EB2s will be a tough act to follow.

I take it Naim Uniti Atom would the next step?

I’ve never really heard much Naim in my own listening environment. I borrowed a Nait 5 on Home demo back in 2007, but I didn’t buy it so it can’t have overwhelmed me. The Atom looks nice on the surface but has a pretty puny spec. A bog standard DAC, a streamer and 40W of Nait 5 derived Class A/B? It leaves me wondering where the other £1500 has been spent. This is going to require more thought... I can get an ex-demo Cyrus Stream XP2-QX and X-Power combo for £1800 with full warranty. I imagine that would blow the pants off most of the kit discussed so far. Shame I have a pathological hatred of all things Cyrus.

Out of interest has anybody heard the Creek Evolution 100A with the Ruby DAC module fitted?

MUSICRAFT said:
Still at i see *biggrin* And you do not deal with Kii Audio either. But rather than highlight performance drawbacks from elsewhere of the active speakers which you are a supplier of instead you have now chosen to single out the Kii Three’s as you are aware of their and Dutch & Dutch Audio’s (another brand along similar lines) significance The momentum of both of these brands products on other Forums/FB over the last few months in particular has really got to you *biggrin*

What are you on?! You seem to be obsessed with mentioning the Kiis, as well as blatant self promotion. I didn't single out any drawback - I mentioned one I'd heard someone else say, purely to give an example of our preferences, and to illustrate that it doesn't matter how good a product is (or how expensive), there's always differing opinions and interpretations.

Take a step back, have another cuppa, and get back to your copy and paste routine.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont doubt it :)

What was your plan to keep the Kefs in the cabinet or move it to allow space for stands?
Also have you still got your mini dsp dirac unit?
Assume your using the innuos as the source

daveh75

Gazzip said:
Updating the firmware on my new Kef LS50 WIRELESS. I trust you see the irony...

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q406/gazzip2000/E6B3D54E-AC38-440E-863B-B1BEC93EA161_zpsmmn6m6ys.jpg

These are the types of thing that the likes of WHFSAV fail to mention in their reviews...

Wouldn't it have been easier to move the speaker to the PC?

Though why when you produce network connected speakers you force users to use a PC to update F/W is ridiculous.

Even allowing you to update from a USB stick would be preferable.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Gazzip said:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q406/gazzip2000/E6B3D54E-AC38-440E-863B-B1BEC93EA161_zpsmmn6m6ys.jpg

These are the types of thing that the likes of WHFSAV fail to mention in their reviews...

Though why when you produce network connected speakers you force users to use a PC to update F/W is ridiculous.

Six and two threes. Moving the speakers would involve a great deal of cable disentanglement and moving a network switch. Apparently the PC and the speakers both need to be network connected to make the update. Absolutely ridiculous.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I dont doubt it :)

What was your plan to keep the Kefs in the cabinet or move it to allow space for stands? Also have you still got your mini dsp dirac unit? Assume your using the innuos as the source

1) keep them there.

2) yes but being used elsewhere

3) the sale of the Innuos is paying for these...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ok buddy its only I was thinking the dsp in them will be crude compared to D/L and they likely need a little help where they are let alone in general.

I assume they assume people will have laptops to do the f/w update not everyone does obviously. I bought a cheap one just for something similar

daveh75

Gazzip said:
daveh75 said:
Gazzip said:

Six and two threes. Moving the speakers would involve a great deal of cable disentanglement and moving a network switch. Apparently the PC and the speakers both need to be network connected to make the update. Absolutely ridiculous.

Just noticed the update tool is Mac/Windows only too. So user hostile!

That's the Kefs struck off my list...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Ok buddy its only I was thinking the dsp in them will be crude compared to D/L and they likely need a little help where they are let alone in general.

I assume they assume people will have laptops to do the f/w update not everyone does obviously. I bought a cheap one just for something similar

I figured the same, but as a designer I have a very powerful desktop workstation (for work) and an iPad for mobile use. For a variety of reasons I’m not keeping the LS50W’s but mainly because the sound doesn’t suit me.

davidf said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Still at i see *biggrin* And you do not deal with Kii Audio either. But rather than highlight performance drawbacks from elsewhere of the active speakers which you are a supplier of instead you have now chosen to single out the Kii Three’s as you are aware of their and Dutch & Dutch Audio’s (another brand along similar lines) significance The momentum of both of these brands products on other Forums/FB over the last few months in particular has really got to you *biggrin*

What are you on?! You seem to be obsessed with mentioning the Kiis, as well as blatant self promotion. I didn't single out any drawback - I mentioned one I'd heard someone else say, purely to give an example of our preferences, and to illustrate that it doesn't matter how good a product is (or how expensive), there's always differing opinions and interpretations.

Take a step back, have another cuppa, and get back to your copy and paste routine.

Nice try *biggrin* personal prefrences, examples, we're all different, etc. seen and heard it all before. Only when it suits your agenda *biggrin* Let's face it we've seen this before from you particularly with your attempts to undemine JL Audio on here and on other sites from 2012 onwards *smile* I believe Kii Audio was mentioned on here once before about a week or two ago. Over the last few days the brand has been mentioned in the main to address your growing insecurity based on what you've been seeing elsewhere *biggrin* It was enevitable *smile*

By all means please also copy and paste on here a performance drawback or two which you've of the seen or heard of from elsewhere about the active speakers which you are a supplier of. I'll even have a read with a cup of tea *biggrin*

Btw, thanks for telling us about the show you'll be attending and what you'll be using. This could be viewed in a number of ways *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
davidf said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Still at i see *biggrin* And you do not deal with Kii Audio either. But rather than highlight performance drawbacks from elsewhere of the active speakers which you are a supplier of instead you have now chosen to single out the Kii Three’s as you are aware of their and Dutch & Dutch Audio’s (another brand along similar lines) significance  The momentum of both of these brands products on other Forums/FB over the last few months in particular has really got to you *biggrin*

Anyway as I close up I am having a cup of tea with the Three’s on *smile*
What are you on?! You seem to be obsessed with mentioning the Kiis, as well as blatant self promotion. I didn't single out any drawback - I mentioned one I'd heard someone else say, purely to give an example of our preferences, and to illustrate that it doesn't matter how good a product is (or how expensive), there's always differing opinions and interpretations.

Nice try *biggrin* personal prefrences, examples, we're all different, etc. seen and heard it all before. Only when it suits your agenda *biggrin* Let's face it we've seen this before from you particularly with your attempts to undemine JL Audio on  here and on other sites from 2012 onwards *smile* I believe Kii Audio was mentioned on here once before about a week or two ago. Over the last few days the brand has been mentioned in the main to address your growing insecurity based on what you've been seeing elsewhere *biggrin* It was enevitable *smile*

By all means please also copy and paste on here a performance drawback or two which you've of the seen or heard of from elsewhere about the active speakers which you are a supplier of. I'll even have a read with a cup of tea *biggrin*

Btw, thanks for telling us about the show you'll be attending and what you'll be using. This could be viewed in a number of ways *biggrin*

Only an insecure person would write what you have just done.

Why are you so angry towards your fellow hifi shop neighbour? Maybe he is getting to you.

Just be confident and let these small perceived In- justices slide.

This is a forum and people can say what they want
It's not all about you and your sales?
Or is it?
Anyway I'll let you go so you can set your alarm for about 02h30 so you can put a random track of the day on to be top of the list in the morning.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I only heard the passive model, but suddenly it seems that KEF invented the active speaker and the wheel and deciphred the Rosetta Stone all at the same time.

2k isn't exactly small change and people can get good studio monitors for much less. Neumann Kh 120a cost around 1400 euros/pair and I very much doubt these KEFs are better.

The lack of gapless playback is a joke and won't suit people into classical music (like me).

Too bad you didn't like them... :/

MUSICRAFT said:
Nice try *biggrin* personal prefrences, examples, we're all different, etc. seen and heard it all before. Only when it suits your agenda *biggrin* Let's face it we've seen this before from you particularly with your attempts to undemine JL Audio on here and on other sites from 2012 onwards *smile* I believe Kii Audio was mentioned on here once before about a week or two ago. Over the last few days the brand has been mentioned in the main to address your growing insecurity based on what you've been seeing elsewhere *biggrin* It was enevitable *smile*
Whoosh. That's the sound of your logic flying right over my head and off into the distance.

Btw, thanks for telling us about the show you'll be attending and what you'll be using. This could be viewed in a number of ways *biggrin*
Well the way most would view it is that I'm informing the users of whichever forum I post it on that I'll be at that show, and they can pop in and say hello if they like, and that they can hear what I have to offer, if they like. I've not 100% finalised what I'll be using at the Home HiFi Show in two weeks time, but I'll be posting it up once I have.

Are you doing any shows? Or just hanging around your current favourite brand's doorway? Odd really, as other dealers have visited me at shows and wished me well, and we've now become friends. You were friends with me when we both worked at Superfi all those years ago, and even a few years after that as we shared a train back from the Bristol Show once. Some time after that though, you changed.

I personally don't understand what you're playing at, but I'm not going to let you drag me down with you, so this is my last interaction with yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts