Does AVI ADM9.1 beats a traditional system costing same amount.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Messiah

Nick21:Messiah I don't have a source with an optical out,so need to buy something. I have seen Blue-ray players for £175 in Asda today that should do as a transport!!! Or will I gain more from a dedicated cd player. Also I live near Bedford where is the best place to get a demo, and is it worth getting the sub also (listening room is 35'x14' but with a large chimney in the center of the room. thanks for the advise so far. Nick

Blu-Ray player - THIS one?? - It will be fine as a transport. Review if you want it. Personally I don't think you would gain much more from a dedicated CD player for similar money and at least you can use the player for Blu-Ray too.

As far as Demo's are concerned, HERE is AVIs dealer list. There may be one near you...

As for the sub. I you go for the speakers then I would run them for a few weeks and then decide if you need a sub. I have a sub but only really put it on for movies. Maybe you can demo them with and without.

matthewpiano

I think Ashley from AVI would argue that the Blu-Ray player would be as good as any other disc-spinning transport.

Cambridge Audio, on the other hand, would argue that a dedicated CD player with a properly developed servo, will make a significant difference. That, of course, is the rationale behind their S3 Servo.

There doesn't seem to be any conclusive proof either way

A

Anonymous

Thanks Messiah that would do,no dealers that close for a visit my wife wouldn't want to travel that far!!!! are they worth just taking a punt on! From what Iv'e read they should suit a wide range of music,so should meet our needs. And be cheaper than a cyrus based system of 8cdse,prevs/8power and Pmc's Db1i's.

Messiah

Nick21:Thanks Messiah that would do,no dealers that close for a visit my wife wouldn't want to travel that far!!!! are they worth just taking a punt on! From what Iv'e read they should suit a wide range of music,so should meet our needs. And be cheaper than a cyrus based system of 8cdse,prevs/8power and Pmc's Db1i's.

Now I don't want to say to you 'just take a punt' (although that is what I did!) on something that will cost over a grand but they are good. I got rid of a Cyrus system in favour of mine........

A

Anonymous

cost less than a new 8cdse and no damage or loading probs for your cd's!! If I buy the Avi's I save alot of money and get a much better system than my/our existing one. And keep the wife sweet.

Messiah

Seems like your decision is made
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes I think it is. What was delivery time? and do they need much running in.

Messiah

Mine were delayed slightly but Ashley paid extra for special delivery to get them to me quicker to make up for the delay! But I think standard delivery is pretty quick.

Don't really need much running in. Again, it is more getting used to the sound.

A

Anonymous

Do the ADM9.1's sound better through an external DAC like the 7520 rather than using their inbuilt DAC's? Source will be NAS or iMac.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Callum66:Do the ADM9.1's sound better through an external DAC like the 7520 rather than using their inbuilt DAC's? Source will be NAS or iMac.

Even speaking as a TC-7520 owner, I think it would be daft to use it instead of the ADM9.1's own inbuilt DAC. (Unless you already have a TC-7520 and there was absolutely no other option for using headphones or USB, but as you intend to use an iMac then neither applies.)

I think the whole idea of the ADM9.1 is to keep everything as simple as possible and not start collecting 'boxes' again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pluto78: I would love to put up a genuine photo review on this site but I fear the WHF anti AVI mafia would shoot me down. I have owned then one week now and I would love to post an honest review.

I don't see why not. (Especially a photo review. We get precious few pics here.)

WHF themselves gave a 5 star review of the ADM9 and a number of WHF forum members have posted genuine 'user reviews' without being shot-down.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Even speaking as a TC-7520 owner, I think it would be daft to use it instead of the ADM9.1's own inbuilt DAC. (Unless you already have a TC-7520 and there was absolutely no other option for using headphones or USB, but as you intend to use an iMac then nether argument applies.)

I think the whole idea of the ADM9.1 is to keep everything as simple as possible and not start collecting 'boxes' again.

Thanks Chebby. I already have a Caiman & use it for HD650's so it's not like it would be an additional expense. I don't have the 9.1's yet but they're ordered & should arrive fairly soon so I was just trying to establish my connection / cable requirements. As I understand it I can just connect the mac to the 9.1's directly and simplicity is nice but so is sound quality
emotion-2.gif
The Caiman won't go unused
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pluto78:I would love to put up a genuine photo review on this site but I fear the WHF anti AVI mafia would shoot me down. I have owned then one week now and I would love to post an honest review. I fear this site is impartial to many products apart from AVI although Clare seems quite open. Not mentioning other tho...:)

The answer is spherical and in the plural.

There is no "WHF anti AVI mafia", and my personal view is that I would love to review the ADM9.1s for Gramophone, as they seem an excellent fit with both the readership and the magazine's coverage of downloaded/computer stored music.

But there seems little point in requesting them when for some reason those involved in the company in question seem for some unfathomable reason to have quite vehement personal animosity where I am concerned.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pluto78:it descended into chaos where people were being accused of being undercover AVI and the paranoia was very odd.

The paranoia is nothing odd when viewed in historical context, given that the proprietor of the main forum on which the praises of this brand are sung adopted multiple user accounts here in order to extol the virtues of the product, and was repeatedly banned.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pluto78:Ok Andrew it seems from your comment I get the impression you are not impartial. Its hard to read your "tone" admittedly but your above comment indicates a lack of willingness to read, accept anything I would potentially have to write. I can't comment on previous incidents regarding false posting but in truth your probably right. I wont bother. Your skepticism over powers your position and influence within WHFF and that's a shame. But again your probably right I admit. I think if I did post here I would just get wound up and have to reply to people and it would end up in a bun fight like last time and guess what.... people will assume it was a false poster again!! I couldn't possibly win. You win.

What a ridiculous response!

I was referring, of course, to what you refer to as paranoia, but which I would describe as scepticism, on the part of other posters on this forum. Not on the part of the staff of this forum.

I am not at all sceptical, let alone it 'overpowering my position within WHFF (sic)'. As I said above, if you'd actually bothered to read the thread, I am keen to review the product - in fact, I have a page ready and waiting in the March issue of Gramophone, and a whole week off next week in which to try the speakers. If AVI would like to supply a pair soonest, I genuinely would like to review them. Can I say any fairer than that?

I would also be interested to read whatever you happen to want to write about the product, provided it stays within the limits set by the House Rules.

Your comments that

pluto78:it seems from your comment I get the
impression you are not impartial. Its hard to read your "tone"
admittedly but your above comment indicates a lack of willingness to
read, accept anything I would potentially have to write

suggest that whatever paranoia there may be is on your part.

And when you say
pluto78:I couldn't possibly win. You win.
What on earth do you mean? It's not about winning or losing.

But hey, go ahead and misconstrue this post, too - it all adds grist to the conspiracy mill, doesn't it?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
pluto78:Andrew Everard:
pluto78:it descended into chaos where people were being accused of being undercover AVI and the paranoia was very odd.

The paranoia is nothing odd when viewed in historical context, given that the proprietor of the main forum on which the praises of this brand are sung adopted multiple user accounts here in order to extol the virtues of the product, and was repeatedly banned.

Ok Andrew it seems from your comment I get the impression you are not impartial. Its hard to read your "tone" admittedly but your above comment indicates a lack of willingness to read, accept anything I would potentially have to write. I can't comment on previous incidents regarding false posting but in truth your probably right. I wont bother. Your skepticism over powers your position and influence within WHFF and that's a shame. But again your probably right I admit. I think if I did post here I would just get wound up and have to reply to people and it would end up in a bun fight like last time and guess what.... people will assume it was a false poster again!! I couldn't possibly win. You win.

Huh? I fail to see what in Andrew's post was not impartial..... He stated clear facts as to why the last AVI thread descended into chaos and was locked down...

For all the claims about some anti-avi mafia, you should note that this thread is an AVI one and has neither descended into chaos nor been locked down....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed. Pluto78, you are more than welcome - as others have made clear - to post pictures of your AVI set-up and a review, just as anyone is for any product (hence us having a whole 'Your System' section of this Forum for this specific purpose; plus User Review sections alongside every Product Review we run).

However, if you continue to lash out against Andrew or anyone else in an unwarranted manner (he really was just stating the facts - you may want to re-read the post with a clearer head this time) you will be in breach of House Rules. Just a gentle word - again, as I would (and do) say to anyone letting matters get personal.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Apology accepted. And mightily important (and impartial) though he is, Andrew is not the 'top man' - that'll be me
emotion-4.gif

And I don't give a fig about the brand name on the front of any product - it's how it performs for the money that counts. That's a view shared across the WHF team - and as a reminder, we review as a team.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pluto78:Well like I said its hard to read tone in a comment but rereading Andrews comment it reads to me like he's shrugging his shoulders and saying given the history of previous avi threads I stand no chance of being taken seriously.

I really can't be held accountable for what you choose to read into posts. I was merely trying to give you some historical context as to why some users here can be cynical on this subject.

pluto78:If i'm wrong, which
your telling me Iam, then I apologise.

You are. Accepted.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Echo...!

EDIT - that thread was jolly fun tho!

By the by, people may want to take the AVI dealer list with a pinch of salt and just ask Ash where their nearest is. He tends to fall out qith dealers (surprising, that) and he's very lax about updating that list.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
al7478:Echo...!

Now you're talking...

10251195.jpg

Ooh! Designed by Wells Coates, one of my favourite architects. His 'Sunspan' house on Portsdown hill fascinated me even as a kid.

idc

pluto78:

The rest of the my previous post follows the mindset that its not worth me doing any review.......

Pluto78, could you please give us a review.

Too much time has been spent debating the debates about debating the merits or not or questionability or not of whether or not that debates about the debates are really debates or some sort of clever advertising campaign or not, or something, or paranoia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts