Do you think a 50V20 would be worth it when upgrading from a 435XDE?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've owned my Pioneer 435XDE for almost 4 years. Prior to that I had a 505XDE (but sold it as at the time it was too big for its location - we've moved since then) and various other Pioneers and Philips screens. I'm looking to get a TV that will "wow" the pants off of me. I would have stumped up for a Kuro but before I had the money Pioneer pulled out of the market. I'm looking for the next best thing really. I notice that blacks appear more grey on my current Pioneer and it's been a small nuisance for me, but lately it's getting more and more noticeable and it's getting on my nerves. I've also noticed that I tend to sit at the edge of my sofa whenever using the screen so I figure a jump up in size will help me to relax back a bit. I should also note that I'm sensitive to phospor trailing/ghosting too. The TV would be situated in a dark living room; we only have the one window currently and that has a blackout blind covering it to cut down on reflections.

I'm an avid gamer and movie watcher, so I'm looking for a screen with
decent blacks (that stay decent over time), low input lag, vibrant/rich colours, decent clarity and
at least a headphone socket. Maybe I'm asking too much?
emotion-18.gif

I was looking at getting the Panny 50V20 when it comes out. After reading some reviews for the G20's I figure this will be a better TV (hopefully!) and be everything I want in a screen. But what do others reckon? Has the technology moved on enough for me to warrant the purchase of one of these screens? I'm guessing yes, but the only real issue I can see is if the V20's have the automatic adjustment on black levels over time. Was it really that bad on last year's models? Would the 2009 (or even 2010) range still have deeper blacks after thousands of hours of use than the grey mess that my TV is giving me after 8 thousand hours? And also if the black levels change over time, do they reach a point where they stop increasing? Would that still be comparable to a deep black or is it really grey? Do the increases affect shadow detailing quite badly? Did the Kuro's suffer these increases or were they very subtle? If not, then why are the Panny's having this issue if they have access to the Kuro tech? Was it because they couldn't get them in the sets last year in time? Surely they would have had enough time to intergrate the Kuro tech for this year's ranges though, right?

I'm aware the TV is not out yet, but I'm planning / hoping on having this knowledgable community help me make an informed decision. You guys are more informed and know better than I the things to look out for with regards to this set and what stuff I may miss or have missed. Buying a new TV is a fairly large investment and I don't want to make the wrong choice, especially when it'll have to last me for at least another 4-5 years. I just feel that if I don't make my decision soon I won't ever decide. :(

I should also mention that I've got a budget of £2000.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks for any responses given. :)

A

Anonymous

hi,

i was on the same boat as you can read from previous posts ... summing : 50v10 then replaced by 50v20 that im supost to be still waiting ... meanwhile that black level issue really started do boder me ...

Im paying a reasonable sum of money on a set supostly to be the best (or one of the best ) also based on the great black levels that is also a diferenciator factor from other sets , then im supost to assist a gradually decreese of that black level quality over time ?

Well ... to tell you the truth ..for some of us that change will occour over time and most of us will probably dont even notice and still be conviced of having good picture quality over time .. ( and i can include myself in this user)

but if a think a bit more ... it would be reasonable a decresse in black level over time if we were talking about a slowly decresse - i could acept like 10-20 years time aging ..altough still having overall good picture quality ... but from what recent study indicates that raise or decrese over black levels isnt that slowly as it is seen over something like 1000 hours of usage , doing the math at the small average of 2,8 hours/day after 1 year you could easly be in the 1000 h

So in one year you should have black levels ( remeber i used a very small average user daily ) comparable to other sets that iniatly out of the box were not that good in that parameter ....

Also there arent (yet) long term studies about this units that can prove this change will keep on happening over time ...

That and other factors made me in "standby mode" for pana 50g20/50v20/50vt20 - this last one i think is still out of my budget)

So im thinking im not going to buy a set that over time (in my opinion 1 year its few time) will lose some of its bests characteristcs - then i prefer to consider some other options that could be a better buy ...

TRENDING THREADS