Do you ever wish you had a bigger tv ?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
As per title i have just been thinking whether i should have gone larger than a 55" or is that wishfull thinking, maybe i'm being greedy, i couldn't afford a extra grand for a extra 10". *sad*

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same TV as you - moved from 42 to 55!!! It is incredible how quickly you get used to the size of the new one.

That said, there comes a time when you have to think about how much you want a screen to dominate the room...

Paul.

If I walk around a shop I always want a bigger one. When I watch films however I never think about picture quality, my TV is good enough that its not intrusive. The day the hardware interrupts the TV viewing, thats when I will look for a new set.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Personally I dont think the TV can be too big.

I see people cram them in the corners of the room and thats up to them.

However I put it right in the middle centre stage, it dominates that wall but that doesnt bother me at all.

It seems the logical place to put it - for maximum comfort and enjoyment when watching it. When its in a corner you might have turn the neck to watch it, I cant do that comfortably for long periods. Big TV, very good quality big sound, its amazing how even trivial tv all of a sudden becomes an event to watch and how it can elevate it and the enjoyment of watching it.

I appreciate something good to watch is good on whatever you watch it on - for example we watched scott and bailey last night on a small tv in the bedroom and I really enjoyed it. I am not sure I would have enjoyed it more on my main system but it definately would have been more of an event watching it if that is the best way to describe what I mean

D

Deleted member 2457

chris_bates1974 said:
I've got the same TV as you - moved from 42 to 55!!! It is incredible how quickly you get used to the size of the new one.

That said, there comes a time when you have to think about how much you want a screen to dominate the room...
Ooo nice one! Welcome to the Oled club. *smile* How are you finding your TV? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
We're happy with our 32" Panasonic.

When it's 5 year warranty expires in March 2016 we'll get another 32". It's just the right size.

Looks like great 32" models are still available (with the right connectivity) so hopefully that'll still be true in a year and a half from now.
Might be better to sell it with some warranty left, it will be transferable and will up the price, that's what I'm doing, if I still see the price high.

abacus

No, as I only use a TV for general viewing (Currently have a 40") for the cinema experience I have a projection system as in my personal opinion 65" is the bare minimum for watching films (The bigger the better).Bill

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
My lounge is rectangle shaped and i've just measured the width wall to wall and it's 9'3" also i don't have a chimney breast, a projector is out the question, i was just wondering if i could have gone for a 65" ..........hmmn

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi simonlewis.

I've just checked the distance between my projector and the screen and it came out at just over 9 feet so you may be ok if you want to go down this route as this gives me a 6 foot wide picture for movies and games in addition to my 55in tv which is used for watching regular tv programmes.

hope this gives you some ideas.

*dance4*

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I guess that can happen. I went from a 32 - 40 - 50 now the 50 seems small.

When I can I'm just going to go with a huge projector screen and projector. 100-200 inch depending on the room.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 46 plasma to 50" plasma last year and now regretting not going for the 55". Although, I suppose I would have regretted that and wished I'd gone for 65". Basically, I'll never be happy :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Personally I dont think the TV can be too big.

I see people cram them in the corners of the room and thats up to them.

However I put it right in the middle centre stage, it dominates that wall but that doesnt bother me at all.

It seems the logical place to put it - for maximum comfort and enjoyment when watching it. When its in a corner you might have turn the neck to watch it, I cant do that comfortably for long periods. Big TV, very good quality big sound, its amazing how even trivial tv all of a sudden becomes an event to watch and how it can elevate it and the enjoyment of watching it.

+1!
I fully agree! My next TV if funds allow, the minimum will be 55"!I think it was somewhere in the forum that i've read an article about people who have bought TV and what them have regret about the purchase, the top answer was "I've should have bought the bigger one"

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
We love it! I had seen it when it first came on the market, and as a lover of good design knew I would have to have one.... But not at the original price... so, we promised ourselves that when the price dropped to a "reasonable" level, we'd get one. I know £2k might not seem reasonable, but I have no intention of replacing it for a good many years. The most I'd spent on a TV prior to that was £299!!!!

I'm pretty happy with the picture, and may in the end pay to have it calibrated. Some standard definition stuff can look a little ropey, but HD and BluRay is awesome. The black level (or not!) is just incredible, what used to be grey is now pure black - making many movies look fantastic. Have watched The Dark Knight for instance, and been blown away.

Anyway, the question is whether I wish I had a bigger tv..... No. But I'd love a decent home cinema system!!!

D

Deleted member 2457

chris_bates1974 said:
We love it! I had seen it when it first came on the market, and as a lover of good design knew I would have to have one.... But not at the original price... so, we promised ourselves that when the price dropped to a "reasonable" level, we'd get one. I know £2k might not seem reasonable, but I have no intention of replacing it for a good many years. The most I'd spent on a TV prior to that was £299!!!!

I'm pretty happy with the picture, and may in the end pay to have it calibrated. Some standard definition stuff can look a little ropey, but HD and BluRay is awesome. The black level (or not!) is just incredible, what used to be grey is now pure black - making many movies look fantastic. Have watched The Dark Knight for instance, and been blown away.

Anyway, the question is whether I wish I had a bigger tv..... No. But I'd love a decent home cinema system!!!
Ah nice one! I love The Dark Knight too at the beginning when it goes all black in a black out room you can't see the TV - love it. The same with Empire Strikes Back, there are loads of completely black scenes. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I was looking at 65inch TVs today in Costco and they are not that big, and looking at the LG OLed 4K TVs the 65inch only weighs 27kg, that would fit onto my stand! *dirol*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I was looking at 65inch TVs today in Costco and they are not that big

Yes, I was in Costco on Thursday and the 65" TVs didn't seem big at all. Especially as one was next to a 70" and further along was a 90"!!

gel said:
the 65inch only weighs 27kg, that would fit onto my stand! *dirol*

As I have told you repeatedly .....!!!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I was looking at 65inch TVs today in Costco and they are not that big

Yes, I was in Costco on Thursday and the 65" TVs didn't seem big at all. Especially as one was next to a 70" and further along was a 90"!!

gel said:
Yep.

the 65inch only weighs 27kg, that would fit onto my stand! *dirol*

As I have told you repeatedly .....!!!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
"Do you ever wish you had a bigger tv?" the man asks.

My answer: All the bloody time! In particular, I wish that my LG60PZ950T in the kitchen were bigger, and also I wish that the Samsung PS64D8000 in the parlour were bigger. I don't watch the Pioneer 5090 in the front bedroom all that much, though I wouldn't mind if it were bigger also. Mind you, partly because of space, I don't particularly wish that my 42" Pioneer 428XD in my bedroom were bigger, maybe also because it's only seven feet from my head as I watch it, and because its post-calibration colours (though not its sharpness, since it is only HD Ready not full HD) are so good, with pretty good black levels.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
"Do you ever wish you had a bigger tv?" the man asks.

My answer: All the bloody time! In particular, I wish that my LG60PZ950T in the kitchen were bigger, and also I wish that the Samsung PS64D8000 in the parlour were bigger. I don't watch the Pioneer 5090 in the front bedroom all that much, though I wouldn't mind if it were bigger also. Mind you, partly because of space, I don't particularly wish that my 42" Pioneer 428XD in my bedroom were bigger, maybe also because it's only seven feet from my head as I watch it, and because its post-calibration colours (though not its sharpness, since it is only HD Ready not full HD) are so good, with pretty good black levels.
Is the 64inch Samsung on our stand? Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts