DM37 - Currently Mission 733 Floorstanders, but new Bookshelf Speakers MA/Tanoy/Wharf or 2nd Hand B&W?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am totally lost as to which way to go.

I have replaced an old Denon F1 system with a new DM37 package (really for the convenience of space). I have some Mission 733 floorstanders which I would also like to get rid off and replace them with some bookshelf speakers - I have read lots on MA, Tanoys, Wharfedale 9.1 etc and am not in a position to obviously compare the sound of these with the sound of my old Missions. Am I actually going to notice much difference (either good or bad) replacing the Missions. If I go down the route of getting some 2nd hand B&Ws either 601s or if I spend the extra some 686/685s is the DM37 going to do them justice?

I would appreciate any views and understand that this is very subjective - I don't have the ability to listen to any of the above speakers before purchase so realise I am taking a risk.

I listen to a lot of classical music btw.

Thank you for your input.

matthewpiano

For classical music I'd suggest the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. They are fabulous speakers for the price and maintain just the right balance between detail and warmth. These, with some Chord Co. Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable, would be great. Think of the Diamonds as a kinder version of my Quad 11Ls - they share similar drive units etc and some of the same characteristics but aren't as revealing of the electronics as the Quads. They would suit the Denon really well.

My second choice would be the MA BR2s. They are also excellent speakers with a big, broad sound but I found the mid-band could get a bit syrupy which didn't suit operatic vocals very well and could lead to over thickening of the violas in orchestral music. They are also quite a bit more expensive than the Diamonds.

A

Anonymous

The Mission 753s are very good speakers and I have them (see below), but they are big!! Have you looked at the reviews for the Dali Lektor 2? A lot of good reviews and about the same sort of price as your DM37 package, if placement is also an issue because of space, then these are "front-ported" (just like the 753s), and can be placed quite close to the backwall.

I was demoing various speakers for my old mini system in the small study about 6 months ago, I listened to Dali Lektor 1 and liked them (so I would imagine the 2s would be good better but they haven't come out yet at that time), the B&W 685 was much more expensive but a little too laid back for me (I like rock but may suit classical). Eventually I went for a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1 and I am very pleased with them as they are very good value for money and good with instrumentals and not too bass heavy. YMMV.

T

the record spot

I have a pair of Mission 733i speakers that I've had for 11 years and for the money (£330) they were a superb buy. What Hi Fi called them at the time they handed out a 5 star review that they excelled with all kinds of music. Are you planning to change them to standmounts for space reasons? If you are looking at taking a step anywhere, all I would say is look to move upwards - forget backwards steps to budget bookshelf kit. I've deleted my earlier suggestions as they would be greater than the abilities of the Denon - the Dali Lektor 2s sound impressive, I think that's where I'd put my cash. After that, AVI Neutron III or IV (used), but they are really too good for the DM37.

A

Anonymous

Thank you to the 3 posters to date - much appreciated your views and comments.

Still no idea which way to go and like all things cannot make up my mind even on the simplest of matters, such as standmounts or bookshelf (with stands) and a price - and whether new or used.............

T

the record spot

With the DM37, you probably don't need to go overboard on price, but set a realistic limit you can afford and have a think about which factors are most important in replacing your 733s. Size, sound, placement, etc, and draw up a shortlist from there. Bear in mind standmount speakers can take up as much room as floorstanders, so don't write off models like the Q Acoustics 1030i at £250 as compact floorstanding speakers as well as the standmounts you've thought of already. Equally, your 733s if in good condition will easily match the Qs - they're good performers - so pick carefully.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts