Question Standmounts - Mission 751

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
So I have a few queries and am hoping to get some advice.

I have recently purchased some Mission 751 speakers and am currently hunting for some stands. Having been used to floorstanders for some time, this is a bit new to me.

From my very rough trial placing the 751s on my floorstanders, and in addition to what I have read, the 751s are best heard with ear'oles level or slightly above the cabinet rather than in line with the tweeter. They're 32cm tall and I was thinking of the Atacama SE24 (24"- 61cm) or Moseco 6 bringing the top to 93cm. My seated ear height is roughly 90cm.

My questions

Should I therefore hunt for slightly shorter stands, maybe the SE20, or will 60cm stands be okay and suitable with potential sofa changes? I also see lots of praise for the SE range, any other good used (fillable) stands that are worth the ticket that should consider at an affordable used price?

On a slightly different note, I will be running them with an Audiolab 8000a though I am also hunting out an Arcam A32. Does anyone have any suggestions on other amps said to go well with these and if I wanted to add a subwoofer down the line, what are good options?

Thanks 👍

Messiah

With regards to stands I doubt 3/4cm will make much difference. In my experience I have not noticed one. Plus, most stands come with spikes that will give you a small amount of adjustment.

Atacama stands were always well reviewed.

I recently got some Soundstyle Z2's from eBay for about £30 if you want something else to consider. Mission do their own stands as well in a very similar design.

https://www.whathifi.com/soundstyle/z2/review.

Fandango Andy

So I have a few queries and am hoping to get some advice.

I have recently purchased some Mission 751 speakers and am currently hunting for some stands. Having been used to floorstanders for some time, this is a bit new to me.

From my very rough trial placing the 751s on my floorstanders, and in addition to what I have read, the 751s are best heard with ear'oles level or slightly above the cabinet rather than in line with the tweeter. They're 32cm tall and I was thinking of the Atacama SE24 (24"- 61cm) or Moseco 6 bringing the top to 93cm. My seated ear height is roughly 90cm.

My questions

Should I therefore hunt for slightly shorter stands, maybe the SE20, or will 60cm stands be okay and suitable with potential sofa changes? I also see lots of praise for the SE range, any other good used (fillable) stands that are worth the ticket that should consider at an affordable used price?

On a slightly different note, I will be running them with an Audiolab 8000a though I am also hunting out an Arcam A32. Does anyone have any suggestions on other amps said to go well with these and if I wanted to add a subwoofer down the line, what are good options?

Thanks 👍
The Audiolab is still a great amp and should be a good match for the speakers.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
My thoughts are that 60cm stands will be just fine. My B&W 805s (old ones not worth the same as modern) are on 60cm stands onto which I made some very solid bases for the speakers that match the footprint of the speaker exactly. The bases have added 6cm to the stand height. The speakers are 36cm excluding the tweeter housing.
I filled the stands with washed, kiln dried silver sand. I think that was a very worthwhile thing to do and I believe it improved the speaker sound.
The speakers look just right to me on the stands and sound lovely to my ears.
I reckon you should go ahead and get the stands and if they're designed to be filled, to add mass, I would go ahead with that improvement as well.

Agreed, the SE24 should be ideal or, if you have money to spend, look at Partington stands like Dreadnought, they are excellent and I have 2 pairs myself.
Seriously good stands that will last for years and will certainly suit your speakers and any you may get in the future well.
Also the finish on them is better than that of Atacama.

Last edited:

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much 👍

Is it correct that stands should be filled ⅔ to ½ half way? What would you recommend I fill with and how would that compare to atabites, is it worth the price?

As for the amp, does anyone have any other recommendations for the 751? I would like to test a few and keep the better of the lot. Subwoofer will be something I'd like to add too, what would you recommend?

Thanks very much 👍

Is it correct that stands should be filled ⅔ to ½ half way? What would you recommend I fill with and how would that compare to atabites, is it worth the price?

As for the amp, does anyone have any other recommendations for the 751? I would like to test a few and keep the better of the lot. Subwoofer will be something I'd like to add too, what would you recommend?
I have never felt the need to fill stands, indeed some of them don't offer this facility.
If you really must try using kiln-dried sand as its a lot cheaper than other offerings.
The only difference I have found is it just makes the stands more difficult to move..... :)
There are many amps that will drive your speakers well, you just have to decide what functions you need an amp to have, that is will handle whatever you need to connect to it.
No comment on subwoofers as I believe they belong in AV systems only assuming you have the right speakers in the first instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPenkwin

matthewpianist

The 751s (original rather than the Freedom model?) are superb. I had fantastic results partnering them with a Pioneer A400, so if you can live without DAC etc. being integrated into the amp, I'd warmly recommend searching out a good one.

Reactions: MrPenkwin

bobr

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
The 751s (original rather than the Freedom model?) are superb. I had fantastic results partnering them with a Pioneer A400, so if you can live without DAC etc. being integrated into the amp, I'd warmly recommend searching out a good one.
Interesting. I tried a Pioneer A400 with my 751s very briefly a few years ago. The combination, together with a Marantz cd player resulted in such a bright sound that I couldn't bear listening to for more than a few minutes.

I find the 751s to be much better suited to warmer sounding amps, such as those from Arcam, Rotel and NAD. I currently use mine in a secondary system in a bedroom with an old NAD 3020e and Marantz CD52 Mark ii SE and the combination sounds just right to my ears. The speakers are mounted on 60cm sand-filled stands, btw.

TRENDING THREADS