Django unchained pre-order £10 + £5 off when pre-ordering 2 blu rays

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I fell asleep while watching the film! :shifty:

As did I a fortnight ago when watching Skyfall for the first time! Maybe it was because I was watching it in the mid-evening from my comfy leather sofa in the parlour, rather than in the kitchen or my bedroom! However, some people came round the next day during the daytime to watch it, and I managed to stay awake that time!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Are you suggesting birth of a nation and metropolis are of similar quality? I found metropolis pretty riveting, some of the imagery was superb as well as the city scape sets. It's a while since I saw it but as I recollect most of the film is about the division between the workers and the owners of the capital. I can't recall drawing any conclusions on what stance the film was taking; I should watch it again. I keep meaning to buy the blu ray version as I believe that incorporates a further print recently discovered and matched to a contemporaneous score is now believed to be very, very close to the original version. I find a lot of it disturbing, but I find German expressionist films much more interesting than US films of the time. I am enthralled by nosferatu, der golem and the cabinet of dr caligari.

The Birth of a Nation and Metropolis are very different films. The former is arguably more explicitly offensive, with its representations of sexually malevolent Black masculinity and heroic depiction of the Ku Klux Klan. Themes of non-white sexual malevolence are also central to Broken Blossoms or The Yellow Man and the Girl.

Whatever our ideological interpretation, Metropolis and The Birth of a Nation are important films stylistically. Expressionism's influence is of course most directly felt in the horror film and noir; while some critics argue that Griffith invented cinematic language. (There's a fair bit of hyperbole in the latter statement, but The Birth of a Nation is striking and visually epic.)

I was ill the first time I saw Metropolis, as an undergraduate many years back now, so I always associate the film with a feeling of nausea. I own the Blu-ray; and if you enjoy the film stylistically it's definitely worth buying. As you say, the recently found material has been included, along with the newly recorded score.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Son_of_SJ said:
By the way, I've added a bit for you and bigboss about using Blade Runner to test for brightness pops on the Samsung F8500 thread. Now that's a film which I do like!

I fell asleep while watching the film! :shifty:

I must confess, Blade Runner leaves me a little cold, though it's a beautiful film to look at and a demo-worthy Blu-ray release.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
My subsciption copy of Home Cinema Choice magazine (the July 2013 issue, number 222) thudded onto my mat today (it should be on newsagents' shelves by the weekend). On page 98 there is a two-page (most films get less than a single page!) review of Django Unchained. They rated it 4.5 out of 5 for all three categories of Movie, Picture quality and Sound quality.

There are also substantial reviews of Zero Dark Thirty and Jack Reacher, both of which score maximum points for both picture quality and sound quality, with Zero Dark Thirty being their Disc of the Month.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Got my blu-ray copy of Django from amazon for £13.99. A lot cheaper than 5 tickets to our local c@#pp; odeon, where the poor sound and noisy teenagers ruin the experience.

Anyhoos, a classic Tarantino film, not brilliant, but a few hours of fun and graphic cerebral explosions. I thought the sound quality and soundtrack were very good, mixed across the 5.1 quite nicely.

Made us want to watch Inglourious Basterds again. A better QT film.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts