Django unchained pre-order £10 + £5 off when pre-ordering 2 blu rays

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I mean this in the most respectful way, but why would anyone access a technology magazine or website for film reviews? I mean, it's OK to get a sense of the quality of the transfer and audio, but most people writing on technology don't know that much about cinema (though many believe they're experts).

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Hmm, fancy that, eggontoast, an over-hyped film, but I guess that could be said of so many films - Drive (that I've just been defending), Prometheus, the Dark Knight rises, Skyfall ..... It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has bought the Blu-Ray of Django Unchained blind. I didn't see it at the cinemas, and I was considering getting it when the price falls below a tenner, but if it's not as good as I thought ...... I don't want to buy another one that it turns out I don't like, like District 9, though in fairness that happens rarely, most of my discs are bought blind and I like nearly all of them.

I purchased blind this morning, and have watched about an hour so far, and so far so good. Picture and sound is quality too.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I mean this in the most respectful way, but why would anyone access a technology magazine or website for film reviews? I mean, it's OK to get a sense of the quality of the transfer and audio, but most people writing on technology don't know that much about cinema (though many believe they're experts).

Hello strapped for cash,

AVForums isn't the only technology site that reviews Blu-Ray discs. Our own What Hi-Fi and Home Cinema Choice do also.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
strapped for cash said:

Hello strapped for cash,

AVForums isn't the only technology site that reviews Blu-Ray discs. Our own What Hi-Fi and Home Cinema Choice do also.

Hello Son_of_ SJ,

My point, really, is that tech reviewers usually know more about technology than cinema. Tech websites therefore aren't my first port of call when looking for informed and insightful film criticism. I'm happy to access Bluray.com, Hi-Def Digest, DVD Beaver etc. for evaluations of audio and video quality, but that's it.

If I want to know if a film's any good, there are many sources I'd access before looking at tech websites.

Personally, I read various reviews when the film is released. I'm interested in tech reviews when the blu ray is released, to see if the disc is demo material or not. If not, I don't buy it, no matter how good the film may be.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing not always?

Few releases are demo material.

I wouldn't buy a film on Blu-ray if the transfer is a disaster, but I own many films on the format that couldn't be described as demo worthy. I own them because they're great films and the move to HD was worth it, even though the transfer may be below par, or the original elements in poor shape.

First and foremost, I buy films because I'm fond of them and likely to watch them more than once. There are exceptions to that rule. I buy some films for research purposes, for instance. At a personal level, however, it has to be a film I really like. I'm inflexible in this regard and more forgiving if the transfer isn't flawless.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Personally, I read various reviews when the film is released. I'm interested in tech reviews when the blu ray is released, to see if the disc is demo material or not. If not, I don't buy it, no matter how good the film may be.

strapped for cash said:
I'm guessing not always?

Few releases are demo material.

I wouldn't buy a film on Blu-ray if the transfer is a disaster, but I own many films on the format that couldn't be described as demo worthy. I own them because they're great films and the move to HD was worth it, even though the transfer may be below par, or the original elements in poor shape.

First and foremost, I buy films because I'm fond of them and likely to watch them more than once. There are exceptions to that rule. I buy some films for research purposes, for instance. At a personal level, however, it has to be a film I really like. I'm inflexible in this regard and more forgiving if the transfer isn't flawless.

Hmm, different aproaches! I would incline to buying a more demonstration worthy disc than not, but as strapped for cash says, I would have to actually like the film. For instance, Sucker Punch was said to have a great audio track, but the plot wasn't very good, so I won't be buying it, even though I saw the Blu-Ray on sale in Tesco for about £7. I'm now trying to limit new Blu-Ray and DVD purchases to films that I am likely to want to see more than once. I have bought discs in the past for demo material, but I ended up not liking the films very much, for instance Terminator 3, The Disappearance of Alice Creed, District 9. On the other hand, I have several films that I like very much on DVD because the Blu-Rays don't yet exist, or are too expensive - the 1976 original of Assault on Precinct 13, Schindler's List, Where Eagles Dare.

By the way, to go back to a film mentioned earlier in this thread, this review http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51f8500/4505-6482_7-35731512.html of the Samsung PN51F8500 uses, on its second page, one of my favourite films (I know bigboss and robjcooper don't like it!) Drive!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm very much with strapped rather than BB on this one. Very few of my films would be described as demo material, this would seem to rule out almost all older films even where they have good remasters. It would rule out all films that have only stereo or even mono tracks. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't want to be without bambi, the Dambusters, the hustler, the godfather trilogy, paranoiac, walkabout. The list would go on and on. I imagine it would also rule out silent films like nosferatu or metropolis. Conversely, a large proportion of the contemporary blu rays which are of reference quality are dire films. I wouldn't want to own transformers, avatar or iron man 2, again off the top of my head.

OOI strapped, what are some examples of films you have bought for research purposes?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
My copy of django turned up today i have not seen the film yet but have just found out it's 165 mins long which is a bit too long for me, one reason why i didn't buy avatar although i saw it several times at the cinema and enjoyed it, i'm not sure yet where i'm going to find a spare three hours from.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
OOI strapped, what are some examples of films you have bought for research purposes?

Excuse the delayed reply; busy day!

I'm really talking about films I find objectionable, or don't particularly enjoy, but have had some bearing on subjects I've researched.

Examples include films starring Frank Sinatra; The Birth of a Nation; Broken Blossoms; 3D films that are narratively and thematically uninspiring (and in some cases intolerably awful); various films about Jesus and the Passion narrative.

There are films I love that I've bought for research purposes, too....

Make of that what you will!
smiley-smile.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, diverse! I'm struggling to link those films together into a single thesis! ;) DW Griffith has long been on my radar but I've never actually got round to watching any - it's felt like it would be more of a chore to educate myself than a pleasure to watch cinema. I hadn't heard of broken blossoms before, it sounds pretty good, is it not?

Are there no Passion films you like? Knowing a little of your musical tastes I would have thought The Last Temptation of Christ would appeal if only for the magnificent CJ Bolland sample :grin:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hmm, diverse! I'm struggling to link those films together into a single thesis! ;) DW Griffith has long been on my radar but I've never actually got round to watching any - it's felt like it would be more of a chore to educate myself than a pleasure to watch cinema. I hadn't heard of broken blossoms before, it sounds pretty good, is it not?

Are there no Passion films you like? Knowing a little of your musical tastes I would have thought The Last Temptation of Christ would appeal if only for the magnificent CJ Bolland sample :grin:

There is no single thesis; rather several different writing projects. :grin:

Since I know a bit about you, I wouldn't recommend D.W. Griffith, unless you have an interest in the history of racism. (Though Griffith did seek to atone with Intolerance.)

I'm afraid I never caught Jericho Mania. :grin:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

There is no single thesis; rather several different writing projects. :grin:

Since I know a bit about you, I wouldn't recommend D.W. Griffith, unless you have an interest in the history of racism. (Though Griffith did seek to atone with Intolerance.)

I'm afraid I never caught Jericho Mania. :grin:

I'd surmised there may be a few different projects there! Griffith was of interest because of (1) the history of racism and (2) the history of cinema. But given that 1 is rather depressing and 2 seems a bit of a slog when I understand the films mostly to be fairly turgid I haven't got round to it. I have a few of his films buried deep in my lovefilm list. If they actually have them I'll probably get round to it eventually.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed re district 9. My gf, her sister and I all really enjoyed it at the cinema, which for a SF film is very good going. Then watched it on TV several years later and it held up well. Better that than the likes of Prometheus and avatar.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Son_of_SJ said:
in a smoke and pet-free home

.....and wife-free. ;)

Damn right, and will forever gladly remain so!

strapped for cash said:
Son_of_SJ said:
shall we say a fiver??? :)

It's cheaper on Amazon! :grin:

What's the problem with District 9? I mean, it didn't change my life, but it's a masterpiece compared with many recent sci-fi blockbusters.

I hadn't checked the Amazon prices before my cheeky offer to bigboss! I dunno, District 9 just made me feel uncomfortable nearly all the way through. You're welcome to my copy at a sub-Amazon price! Wonder what I'll think about Django Unchained, which I've not seen ....?? By the way, I've added a bit for you and bigboss about using Blade Runner to test for brightness pops on the Samsung F8500 thread. Now that's a film which I do like!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'd surmised there may be a few different projects there! Griffith was of interest because of (1) the history of racism and (2) the history of cinema. But given that 1 is rather depressing and 2 seems a bit of a slog when I understand the films mostly to be fairly turgid I haven't got round to it. I have a few of his films buried deep in my lovefilm list. If they actually have them I'll probably get round to it eventually.

You can construct a similar argument about Metropolis. It's long and pretty tough going, especially since there's arguably no complete version of the film still in existence, but essential if you have an interest in the history of film form and expressionism more specifically.

From a Leftist perspective it's ideologically objectionable, since it ends with a particularly offensive platitude about relations between the owners of capital and the proletariat.

Lang ultimately condemned the film politically, blaming his "Nazi *****" wife Thea von Harbou. (His words.)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

You can construct a similar argument about Metropolis. It's long and pretty tough going, especially since there's arguably no complete version of the film still in existence, but essential if you have an interest in the history of film form and expressionism more specifically.

From a Leftist perspective it's ideologically objectionable, since it ends with a particularly offensive platitude about relations between the owners of capital and the proletariat.

Lang ultimately condemned the film politically, blaming his "Nazi *****" wife Thea von Harbou. (His words.)

Are you suggesting birth of a nation and metropolis are of similar quality? I found metropolis pretty riveting, some of the imagery was superb as well as the city scape sets. It's a while since I saw it but as I recollect most of the film is about the division between the workers and the owners of the capital. I can't recall drawing any conclusions on what stance the film was taking; I should watch it again. I keep meaning to buy the blu ray version as I believe that incorporates a further print recently discovered and matched to a contemporaneous score is now believed to be very, very close to the original version. I find a lot of it disturbing, but I find German expressionist films much more interesting than US films of the time. I am enthralled by nosferatu, der golem and the cabinet of dr caligari.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts